Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think that to say it's "totally inaccurate" is putting it a little strongly. It seems to routinely have an error of about a dozen pages, but that's an absolute error, not a relative one. eg if you jump, say, 80% of the way through a book, you'll end up within about a dozen pages of the "true" 80% point. That's good enough for many purposes.
How do you know that. I think you are guessing. I now tested to page forward 100 pages from the beginning and then jump 100 pages. The error was 33 pages. Paging forward 50 pages gave an error of 15 pages. This does not seem to be an absolute error to me.

So how did you do the experiments that let you claim what you claimed?

But as I have said before this is pretty uninteresting if you want to know how long a text is and how much you have read of it. It is easy to implement this functionality. You only have to count characters and the make sure you only count displayed characters if you have an html file but that is not hard. I assume that is how the Kindle solve these problems.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
How do you know that. I think you are guessing. I now tested to page forward 100 pages from the beginning and then jump 100 pages. The error was 33 pages. Paging forward 50 pages gave an error of 15 pages. This does not seem to be an absolute error to me.

So how did you do the experiments that let you claim what you claimed?
By paging to particular points in the book and then jumping to those same points, and comparing the page number. I found that the error seems to be relatively constant, rather than increasing with how far through the book you are.

EDIT: I must correct myself.

For NON-illustrated books, the error appears to be reasonably constant. For ILLUSTRATED books, it does indeed increase as you go through the book!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
By paging to particular points in the book and then jumping to those same points, and comparing the page number. I found that the error seems to be relatively constant, rather than increasing with how far through the book you are.

EDIT: I must correct myself.

For NON-illustrated books, the error appears to be reasonably constant. For ILLUSTRATED books, it does indeed increase as you go through the book!
My test case was without illustration and the error on the Cybook doubled when I doubled the paging.

An illustration would only introduce an error of one page I think.

If you think about how they can have implemented it there is no reason for the error to be absolute.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:35 AM   #19
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine

Wow what a cool thread it went from ergonomics and feel to page numbers...cool thread jack that even I would be proud of!

BTw, about page numbering in Mobipocket format books having the same "issues' on each device...well, no-duh, it's gonna essentially be the same core code with only the hooks to the OS and maybe the UI being different.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
What, about page numbering in Mobipocket format books having the same "issues' on each device...well, no-duh, it's gonna essentially be the same core code with only the hooks to the OS and maybe the UI being different.
Yes, we all realise this. What point are you trying to make?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert