Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 03:18 AM   #91
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kindle Touch is a very poor alternative to Sony. The problem being file format. If you buy a Kindle, you'll get Mobipocket and then when Sony gets things fixed and you buy a Sony, you'll have all these Mobipocket files that will need converting to ePub and it's not always a smooth process. It's best to get a reader that handles ePub natively.
The other major problem with the Kindle Touch is that it isn't available outside of the US at all. It hasn't even been announced outside the US.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:47 AM   #92
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I'm sorry, but I haven't yet downloaded/installed anything Sony software yet for the T1 , thought I'd get used to it first - and, don't forget, no Reader Store yet in UK and I presume Europe.
Allegedly December 1st.
And the gremlins worry me....
So, I've been using the wonderful Calibre to shop-PC - T1. ( Apart from my sole wifi d/load, a free from Gutenburg to see if it worked - it did. )

Now I see Calibre being mentioned all the time re: the T1 - but, you can't use Calibre to get anything on wifi, can you - ?? That's what I understood frrom a previous thread. (Tech-Dunce here, see? )
So we have to go back to shop-PC-T1 - which I don't mind - especially with the latest BLACK & DECKER DUST BUSTER - but seems a waste of the wifi facility !

(And I probably won't be buying much from Reader Store anyway, I have my major buy sources , and can't see Sony undercutting them...)
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #93
capuchino71
Enthusiast
capuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony prs350 ,and awaiting PRS-t1
Hi, i am new here lurking from few days.
First sorry for my english, i am not so good with it.
Was looking for ereaders for my daughter and wife, so like fan of Sony was going for prs-t1, but after seing this bug thing was not sure,so ordered only 1 prs350 for my wife.But anyway, just decided to order and prs-t1 hoping that they will launch new firmware soon i found that :

"Fabian2_Sony
9 posts since
Mar 31, 2011
Written on Nov 18, 2011 12:40 PM
Bug touchscreen PRS-T1 (scroll page auto / touch more)
Hello,

This bug has indeed been clearly identified and reproduced. Our production teams are currently working on resolution and we should provide offer a system update before the end of the year should solve this problem.

Cdlt,
Fabian,
Sony France"

original link :
http://www.sony.lv/discussions/message/707186
So , i am jumping for it, and crosed fingers wating for faster resolving of the problem.
Cheers
capuchino71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #94
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
The other major problem with the Kindle Touch is that it isn't available outside of the US at all. It hasn't even been announced outside the US.
It has been advertised here for sale in Australia

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/A347...-quot-e-reader
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #95
TAG_Keri
TAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: sony PRS-T1, Prs350, Kindle3Gwifi, MiGear
There is some news from Sony re firmware update.
https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=11814

Firmware Update for PRST1 (1.0.03.11140)

"I’m pleased to announce that a firmware update for the Sony Reader model PRST1 is scheduled for release at the end of this month. This update is designed to resolve the dictionary, freezing and page flipping issues users have been reporting to Sony in the last few weeks"
TAG_Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #96
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by capuchino71 View Post
Hi, i am new here lurking from few days.
First sorry for my english, i am not so good with it.
Was looking for ereaders for my daughter and wife, so like fan of Sony was going for prs-t1, but after seing this bug thing was not sure,so ordered only 1 prs350 for my wife.But anyway, just decided to order and prs-t1 hoping that they will launch new firmware soon i found that :

"Fabian2_Sony
9 posts since
Mar 31, 2011
Written on Nov 18, 2011 12:40 PM
Bug touchscreen PRS-T1 (scroll page auto / touch more)
Hello,

This bug has indeed been clearly identified and reproduced. Our production teams are currently working on resolution and we should provide offer a system update before the end of the year should solve this problem.

Cdlt,
Fabian,
Sony France"

original link :
http://www.sony.lv/discussions/message/707186
So , i am jumping for it, and crosed fingers wating for faster resolving of the problem.
Cheers
Welcome to MobileRead, capuchino71! Thank you for sharing this info from the other Sony site. I hope for a solution soon. I also hope that your family enjoys both the 350 and the T1.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #97
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG_Keri View Post

"I’m pleased to announce that a firmware update for the Sony Reader model PRST1 is scheduled for release at the end of this month. This update is designed to resolve the dictionary, freezing and page flipping issues users have been reporting to Sony in the last few weeks"
At the end of this month is even better than the end of the year. Keeping my fingers crossed that the update arrives soon and fixes the issue! It happened to me again today while I was reading a book.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #98
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
It has been advertised here for sale in Australia

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/A347...-quot-e-reader
That's not the Kindle Touch, that's the plain "Kindle" aka Kindle 4.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:00 AM   #99
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Quote:
Its true that Amazon will not sell it outside of the US, but there are people on Ebay Uk selling them. There's also a post on Kindle UK Users Forum explaining how to order from Amazon.com via Bundlebox.
The only problem is that if it goes wrong, it would need to be sent back to the USA for repair/replacement....
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #100
atze
atze began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
PRS-T: Bugs and first impressions

After the concerns I had about the page flipping issue, I still went ahead and bought the PRS-T1 at JB HIFI. - I got it for $165.

I turned it on and the configuration wizard started. I got to the date settings when it shut down and tried to restart and shut down and tried to restart... An endless loop by the looks of it. I was still in the shopping centre and was about to go back to JB to get a replacement when I thought of using the reset button.
That worked and the wizard was restarted, continuing where It left off before it went into its reset loop. This time I was able to complete the setup.

I downloaded all the bits and pieces I needed.. Calibre, Sony Reader software, a couple of books from Amazon, ...
I then removed DRM from he mobi files, converted them to epub and loaded the books onto the reader using Calibre. They appear to work fine.
Then, before I did any serious reading I installed the latest Firmware (1.0.02.10280) and started reading one of the books that came with the PRS-T1, 'The Jungle Book.'

I made a point of not using the buttons, but just swiping. No problems, everything appeared to work. I got to page 78, in three sessions and I never experienced the page flipping issue. I used the dictionary to look up words, switched dictionaries and changed the font type and size. All went well.

However, I have set a password on the device and this afternoon I was not able to get the reader going. When prompted for the password, it would not accept any input for '1'. I turned the reader off an on, several times and it still would not work. I then did a reset using the reset button and all of a sudden it worked again.

While it works it is great, but it certainly is a buggy device. So far I can handle the issues. I'll keep you posted on how I go from here.
atze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #101
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
Its true that Amazon will not sell it outside of the US, but there are people on Ebay Uk selling them. There's also a post on Kindle UK Users Forum explaining how to order from Amazon.com via Bundlebox.
The only problem is that if it goes wrong, it would need to be sent back to the USA for repair/replacement....
While that's certainly true, I wouldn't really say it was available in any sensible (practical?) way!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #102
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's not the Kindle Touch, that's the plain "Kindle" aka Kindle 4.
Well there you go. Proves I am more interested in a Sony than a Kindle
Old 11-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #103
sabredog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
Before Sony and Kobo and even Kindle came to the market here in Australia, that was the only way that a reasonably priced ereader could be purchased. Dymocks was alone in flogging an Iliad for over $650.

eBay was the purchase place of choice in those dim days. My first Sony, a PRS-300 was purchased on eBay.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #104
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG_Keri View Post

I'll be re-ordering a T1. I have to admit I like it more than my Kindle Touch. Not saying the KT is not a decent reader, but the T1 is a much better reader in my opinion.....and no I am not prejudice. I've had/have each one & I find the T1 much more intuitive & nicer to read with..
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #105
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'm going to be curious as to how they will be pushing this update out to the devices. I hope that they don't make you have to have loaded the Reader for PC software to do it.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote