Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #31
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
I have said that very thing on other message boards. Yeah, it should probably go without saying that it's an opinion, not fact - but it would nip a lot of unpleasant discussions in the bud if people would just say it anyway. When someone doesn't add IMO, it can come across as a blunt statement of fact rather than opinion, and sets things off. Then again, that's what lots of folks enjoy...IMO
This will be the last comment I make on this subject.

I think of it like this... How often when talking about a certain subject with a spouse, friend, co-worker, customer, etc. do you insert the phrase or words, "In My Opinion"? I almost never do so when verbally communicating (only when I post in forums), and I can't recall the last time someone reminded me that it was only my opinion or I should not be stating something like it was fact.

Not everyone is a pro or regular on forums or online communities and some/many people type how they would talk normally. I try to keep this in mind when reading other people's posts and try not to assume the worst.
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #32
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My only thought is "nobody will know if or until Amazon announce it". If you want a K3, get a K3; you can do an awful lot of reading between now and whenever it is that hypothetical new Kindle models eventually ship.
THIS

Can we have just one K4 thread by any chance, as we're beginning to sound hysterical and overreact like the iSheep waiting for the next iGimmick...

IMHO!

Also whilst we're all dreaming and scheming away, I would like the next Kindle to make the beds, do the ironing and make a cup of tea in the morning for me...

Last edited by captkjaneway; 08-18-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Added the IMHO......just in case people thought this was FACT
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
In my opinion, I think it's rather dumb to have to qualify remarks on this board with the words "in my opinion.", when it's very obvious to begin with.

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #34
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
....Can we have just one K4 thread by any chance, as we're beginning to sound hysterical and overreact like the iSheep waiting for the next iGimmick...

IMHO!...
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #35
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD78 View Post

I think of it like this... How often when talking about a certain subject with a spouse, friend, co-worker, customer, etc. do you insert the phrase or words, "In My Opinion"? I almost never do so when verbally communicating (only when I post in forums), and I can't recall the last time someone reminded me that it was only my opinion or I should not be stating something like it was fact.

Not everyone is a pro or regular on forums or online communities and some/many people type how they would talk normally. I try to keep this in mind when reading other people's posts and try not to assume the worst.
"In my opinion"? Not so much, no. But in conversations I do say:
I think.....
Here's what I think....
Y'know what I think?
To me/for me.......
etc....
And usually when I say something about how people might want to add IMO on a message board, it's in the middle of a discussion that's gone nuclear because the parties involved insist that they're "universally" right rather than just admitting the subject at hand is a matter of opinion. Not the case here, I was just dittoing what someone else said.
And of course, this is all just my opinion.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #36
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
THIS

Can we have just one K4 thread by any chance, as we're beginning to sound hysterical and overreact like the iSheep waiting for the next iGimmick...

IMHO!

Also whilst we're all dreaming and scheming away, I would like the next Kindle to make the beds, do the ironing and make a cup of tea in the morning for me...
You know what's more irksome when people not putting IMO in every post? People thinking putting IMO or a smiley in their post excuses them for making unnecessarily provocative and insulting comments.

iMO,
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #37
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Guess I may get some answers next Wednesday!!

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2011...onference.html
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
Guess I may get some answers next Wednesday!!

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2011...onference.html
I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #39
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
There's a very good reason for the next Kindle to have touchscreen instead of physical keyboard: the international market. It's MUCH EASIER to localize software keyboard, just a configuration file to modify (or to select among a list). QWERTZ keyboard for the German market, AZERTY for the French one etc.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #40
norti
norti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi eco-nique Edition :D
I don't think there will be an e-ink device presented next week and I'm not pessimistic. Tablets are coming and everybody knows that.

There are some news about a hybrid e-ink/lcd touchscreen tablet device being in development at Amazon but no other e-ink devices planned atm for the future. I would be very surprised if they'd announce a new e-reader (and I mean e-ink reader) on Sep 28

Be a little realistic.
norti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #41
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD78 View Post

When I'm speaking to someone I often preface a remark with "I think". Don't you?
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by norti View Post
I don't think there will be an e-ink device presented next week and I'm not pessimistic. Tablets are coming and everybody knows that.

There are some news about a hybrid e-ink/lcd touchscreen tablet device being in development at Amazon but no other e-ink devices planned atm for the future. I would be very surprised if they'd announce a new e-reader (and I mean e-ink reader) on Sep 28

Be a little realistic.
I agree. Next week's announcement is almost without doubt going to be about the tablet. I too would be very surprised to see a new eInk device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I too would be very surprised to see a new eInk device.
I'd be completely gobsmacked if the word "eInk" is even mentioned.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I wonder what the odds are that I'll buy at least one of whatever they announce next week?

Knowing me, I'd say the odds are pretty darn good.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #45
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I wonder what the odds are that I'll buy at least one of whatever they announce next week?

Knowing me, I'd say the odds are pretty darn good.
Moneybags!
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote