Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Saras
Saras began at the beginning.

Device: A kindle with a botched screen
What do you think I would ask for in this section?

G'day.

I suppose, I should start from the deal breaker requirements.

A good 80% of the texts, that I will be reading, will be in a PDF format.

1.1# However, not all of those are in an A4. If possible, I'd like it to be able to display various custom sizes.

1.2# I want it to have the ability to zoom/pan around said pdf's. To be able to quickly change the view from portrait to landscape and the like.

1.3# I live in Lithuania, I want to ship the device as directly as possible, without too much of a hassle or extra expenditures. I already have the shipping and the VAT to pay, I'm not really keen on adding a few middle men to that list.

1.4# Size, what I need is a mobile device. If it can be put in the chest pocket of a jacket, it is a major plus. If I need to have a suitcase to carry it, it kind of beats the purpose of it in the first place.

1.5# A good, clear screen.

1.6# It can display a wide range of characters. Anything from an extended Latin alphabet to Cyrillic.

1.7# Something, that isn't affected by the climate too much. The temperature down here goes anywhere from -30c in the winter to 30c in the summer. I'd like to have the ability to use it outside, without it dieing on me.

While not deal breakers, I have some other preferences.

2.1# Dictionaries and an easy way to use them, if possible, in several languages. While it isn't vital, a lot of the texts I will be reading are going to be in English, German, French or Russian.

2.2# Something, that is comfortable to use.

2.3# I am a university student living on my own. I can't really dish out a 1000$ on a non-vital device for the f** of it. So, while not a major one, price is still an issue.

2.4# It has to look more or less decently. I know, that's a petty complaint, however, it still stands. I wouldn't really like to use something, that looks as if it was going to fall apart in the breeze.

2.5# An extension of 1.7 and 2.4 perhaps, but it needs to be sturdy and technically sound. If something goes wrong, I will have to send it around the world for it to get fixed.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Last edited by dreams; 01-22-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: language edit
Saras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Sony 950
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
You're looking for a 7" tablet. Anything in the 9-10 inch range will be too big to put in a jacket pocket.

For zooming and panning around PDF's, You'll want an LCD screen.

I'm not sure if the nook color will display PDFs natively or attempt to reflow them, but that's probably your best bet for something relatively inexpensive (and sturdy). There are also a bunch of Android tablets coming out this year that you may want to look at. I'm not sure about specific availability to Lithuania, but the Samsung Galaxy Tab seems to be a popular 7 inch tablet.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Saras
Saras began at the beginning.

Device: A kindle with a botched screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Sony 950
Isn't it both a bit too big to fit in a pocket and not available internationally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltsar View Post
You're looking for a 7" tablet. Anything in the 9-10 inch range will be too big to put in a jacket pocket.

For zooming and panning around PDF's, You'll want an LCD screen.

I'm not sure if the nook color will display PDFs natively or attempt to reflow them, but that's probably your best bet for something relatively inexpensive (and sturdy). There are also a bunch of Android tablets coming out this year that you may want to look at. I'm not sure about specific availability to Lithuania, but the Samsung Galaxy Tab seems to be a popular 7 inch tablet.
I would like to avoid LCD's if at all possible. I wouldn't benefit from getting a colour screen and both battery life and outside use would deteriorate greatly.

If panning is not available to e-readers, perhaps zooming and basic navigation is at least supported?

Also, tablet are a bit out of my price range. I have a good work notebook for the more complex work and I can't really justify buying another computer for a slightly improved experience while viewing pdf's.

Oh right, I forgot to mention in the first post. Both wifi and 3g are irrelevant to me. If htey are there - good, but I really don't need them.

Last edited by Saras; 01-20-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added info
Saras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The K3 is an international device with PDF capability and,, landscape mode, panning and zooming, it reads Latin and Cyrillic characters, and allows for highlighting, searching, and using the dictionary in a PDF. I know people who use their K1, K2, and K3's backpack and someone who posted about using it while snow camping.

The problem is that the PDF display is not great. It does not have reflow.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert