Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Removing font size style

In some books the font size is bigger or smaller, despite the font size in the conf file or if I set the font size with Kobo Utilities.

I find the cause in the this line in every html part, for example:

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" style="font-size:1.111rem;">
Is there a way to remove the style?

EDIT: I just tried to convert the book to epub and it did remove the style, is there a better way to remove the style?

Last edited by oren64; 10-22-2017 at 01:39 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
In some books the font size is bigger or smaller, despite the font size in the conf file or if I set the font size with Kobo Utilities.

I find the cause in the this line in every html part, for example:

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" style="font-size:1.111rem;">
Is there a way to remove the style?
rem doesn't work in ePub and that code is just wrong.

Just search for style="font-size:1.111rem;" (with a space in front) and replace it with nothing. That will remove that style.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I think I've seen this in azw3 books bought from Amazon. The only way I know to fix it is with Search/Replace. Probably not the slick ingenious solution you were looking for

I use the calibre Editor which, I seem to remember, flags all these "rem" font-sizes as errors in Check Book.

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-22-2017 at 01:40 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I use the calibre Editor which, I seem to remember, flags all these "rem" font-sizes as errors in Check Book.
Yes, Calibre's check book does flag rem as an error. But (IMHO) it's an error that have that in all the XHTML files like that. I prefer the body font to be the default which is 1em. I use the Calibre editor to remove all unused CSS and to remove any font size for body text that's either marked as 1em or marked as smaller.

I want consistency and sometimes the only way to gt it is to edit the CSS.

I do set the CSS styles for the copyright to small as that works and I don't really read it.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I search the my calibre library with plugin Quality Check the line "style="font-size", and I have more than 50 books with font-size style.
I think I will convert them to epub and resend them.

Last edited by oren64; 10-22-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: edit 50 books
Old 10-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
I search the my calibre library with plugin Quality Check the line "style="font-size", and I have more than 50 books with font-size style.
I think I will convert them to epub and resend them.
If they are already ePub, don't convert. Just load into the editor, search/replace, save and move on to the next book.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
rem doesn't work in ePub and that code is just wrong.

Just search for style="font-size:1.111rem;" (with a space in front) and replace it with nothing. That will remove that style.
Quote:
If they are already ePub, don't convert. Just load into the editor, search/replace, save and move on to the next book.
Edit: I think it take match longer.

Last edited by oren64; 10-22-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Yes, Calibre's check book does flag rem as an error. But (IMHO) it's an error that have that in all the XHTML files like that. I prefer the body font to be the default which is 1em. I use the Calibre editor to remove all unused CSS and to remove any font size for body text that's either marked as 1em or marked as smaller.

I want consistency and sometimes the only way to gt it is to edit the CSS.

I do set the CSS styles for the copyright to small as that works and I don't really read it.
Yes, I also obsessively do all these things (and more) so cannot find fault with your reasoning. Now I'm beginning to worry about myself
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yes, I also obsessively do all these things (and more) so cannot find fault with your reasoning. Now I'm beginning to worry about myself
No need to worry about wanting your eBooks to be well formatted. I just wish publishers gave a damn.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@oren64: I think removing that would be a good candidate for function in the Modify ePub plugin. Make the suggestion in the plugins thread. Maybe someone will take it on to fix it.

And no, I am not volunteering
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:42 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
No need to worry about wanting your eBooks to be well formatted. I just wish publishers gave a damn.
I've given up on well formatted and am now willing to settle for consistently formatted.

I recently purchased a 4 book series and every $%^&* ebook in the set has a different stylesheet with widows/orphans from 1 to 3, base font size from 0.75em to 1.3em, images defined in % and pixels, margins and padding that vary widely, etc. It didn't take long to modify them to give a consistent look but considering that the 4 dead tree books share a consistent formatting, is it too much to expect that of the ebooks?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:13 AM   #12
oren64
I need a chapter break

Thanks all, in the end I used JSWolf method, because in some books style="font-size was used to increase or decrease specific text like TOC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@oren64: I think removing that would be a good candidate for function in the Modify ePub plugin. Make the suggestion in the plugins thread. Maybe someone will take it on to fix it.

And no, I am not volunteering
I add a request in Modify ePub.

Also I add request for Multi-Books Editor plugin, it could help in this matter and others

Any volunteers

Last edited by oren64; 10-23-2017 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:59 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've given up on well formatted and am now willing to settle for consistently formatted.

I recently purchased a 4 book series and every $%^&* ebook in the set has a different stylesheet with widows/orphans from 1 to 3, base font size from 0.75em to 1.3em, images defined in % and pixels, margins and padding that vary widely, etc. It didn't take long to modify them to give a consistent look but considering that the 4 dead tree books share a consistent formatting, is it too much to expect that of the ebooks?
I've seen where an omnibus has different style sheets. All that was done was the separate eBooks were joined together using the existing CSS from each book. It just seems too much to do it correctly.

I see no reason to not use the default font size for the body text. There's also no reason to put in a line height instead of using the default. Margins can be another issue. With most Readers these days able to set margins, there's no need to set such. And then there are the ones where they try to emulate the pBook with embedded fonts that are too light for eInk. There's all sorts of things the publishers do wrong.