Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo Aura One - Connection Problems

I seem to have a variant on a problem that quite a few of you have had before.

I've had a Kobo Aura One from about a month. At first it connected fairly easily to Calibre (but never perfectly). Over the weeks, this connection has become more and more difficult. I'm using the same cable, and I've tried a variety of USB ports.

My PC recognises the e-reader, and it charges it.

But sometimes Calibre doesn't recognise it at all, sometimes it recognises it, but can't read the list of books on the device. (In this condition, I can still transfer new books to the ereader.)

I've tried updating Calibre, and done a factory reset on the ereader.

What's next? Take it back to shop?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Nabeel
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
PS. I've just tried it again: this time I got a 'problem with drive' notice from my PC, and a recommendation to try 'trouble-shooting'. I did this, and Calibre now reads the ereader perfectly.

What's happening?
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What f/w version is on your device?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
PS. I've just tried it again: this time I got a 'problem with drive' notice from my PC, and a recommendation to try 'trouble-shooting'. I did this, and Calibre now reads the ereader perfectly.

What's happening?
A really important point about calibre and any ereader is that calibre uses the OS functions to access the device. If the OS doesn't mount and display the device, calibre cannot do anything. If you can't see the device somewhere, and you can't access it with Explorer, Finder or whatever your OS uses, then calibre cannot do anything with it.

If there are problems with the device, such as the file system is corrupt, then they need to be fixed before calibre is used. With these sort of problems, calibre can probably do something, but will likely show an error and stop.

And that's sounds like your first post. You had a problem, the OS could mount the device but may have given you an warning. Calibre could then see the device and attempt to use it, but couldn't use it fully. And when this happened, calibre would have displayed an error. An error would have given hints about what the problem was. Without knowing what the error was, I'm not even going to make a wild guess at what the problems was.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I have had an issue with the versions before the most recent one. On Linux, the eReader disconnects with a usb error after reading/writing ~15 mb. This may or may not be related to this issue.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote