Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
Debug logs on KA1?

I recall seeing someone on here mention some debug logs that could be used to track down why a book was crashing when attempting to load it. I can't seem to find those logs, though, and google is not being helpful. Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks!
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
From some errors, there will be stack logs in the .kobo directory. The name is "stack_0n.log" where the n is a number from 0 to 9.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Hmm... I did check there, and I didn't find anything.... So, what types of things could cause the kobo to reboot when trying to open a book, but wouldn't drop a log?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From what I have seen, the problems that cause the device to restart don't tend produce a trace log. The crash and restart happen in such a way that the log can't be written.

What's the problem you are seeing? It should fall into one of two types. Either an immediate restart, or a hang followed by a restart after some time. I can't think of he last time I saw the first for a book. The last one I do remember was for some Pocket articles. This was fixed in 4.6.9960.

The other type is triggered by sickel. It is a process monitor and will restart the device if it sees that a process is no longer responding. The last one of these I can think of was is a problem with kepubs with a lot of chapters. This seems to have been fixed with 4.6.9960 as I haven't been able to reproduce it recently.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:01 AM   #5
TuxGirl
Groupie

This was with a book from gutenberg.org (The Agony Column of the Times 1800-1870), which I downloaded as an epub, and then sent to the KA1 using the KoboTouchExtended driver (so it was converted to a kepub).

When I try to open the book, the screen is blank for about 15 seconds or so, and then the lights in the upper right corner start spinning, and the device boots up.

I did just also see it today once with a book I purchased from the kobo store, but I haven't had a chance to see whether that one is reproducible.

I don't think I have 4.6.9960 yet, so I may see if that will install if I force a sync. It would be great if that would fix the issue!

Thanks for the pointers!
Old 10-21-2017, 01:47 AM   #6
TuxGirl
Groupie

So, I just installed the latest update (4.6.9995), and the Agony Column is still causing a reboot, although it seems to be happening faster? The other book that I had purchased from kobo is working correctly, though, so I'm just going to move along for now. Would love to see the Agony Column book eventually, since the bit that I read inside Calibre sounded interesting, but that is lower priority for me currently.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:50 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Is the book you are talking about this one? http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54658

If so, I have downloaded the no image version and it loads OK for me. But, it takes a long to open. So, I think it is the problem I was thinking of and it hasn't been completely fixed.

The problem seems to be with kepubs that are big, have a big ToC entries and long chapters. When a kepub is first opened, a word count is calculated for each chapter and stored in the database. If this takes to long, sickel can interpret this as a hang and reboot the device. For all the cases I found, when I opened the book after the reboot, the book opened. I believe this is because some of the word counts have been stored and only a few are still left to be done.

Looking at this book, it isn't particularly long, but it has over 1700 ToC entries. On my Aura ONE, that is 127 pages of ToC. And I think an extra complication is that there are multiple chapters per file. That probably makes the word count a little more complicated and takes longer.

As I said, I haven't been able to reproduce this recently. That makes me think Kobo have done something to improve the situation in 4.6.9960 and later. As you are seeing it, they probably haven't fixed it completely, but have improved the performance so that it doesn't happen as much. There are probably other dependencies such as database size and what else you have been doing.

As it is still happening for you, have you tried opening the book again after the restart?