Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
Ridcully
Enthusiast
Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10th gen. Paperwhite (2018)
Does Calibre still modify files when changing metadata?

A bit stupid question, I tried using Calibre several years ago, but when I imported a few books and started tidying up the metadata a bit I found out that Calibre directly edited the files to reflect the new data (I expected it would store it in some internal db). Does it still do that/can this be turned off?

It's a small thing I know, but it irks me madly
Ridcully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That IS NOT the norm for books IN the library.
You can force that with available builtin an plugin tools, but it does not happen on its own.

Books SENT to DEVICE (or FOLDER), get updated to the current settings
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre has never modified ebook files in its library when editing metadata
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
Ridcully
Enthusiast
Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok thanks, maybe I've remembered it wrong. I definitely do remember that something was changed and that it annoyed me a lot. I'll give it another try then
Old 04-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are options for updating the metadata when sending to disk or your device as well as when using the editor. You can turn all this off. I have and if I need to edit metadata in the book, I use the editor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Ridcully
Enthusiast

Ah, great thx
Old 04-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridcully View Post
Ah, great thx
I'm not at one of my computers or I could look up the options. If you get stuck, PM me on Monday and include the link to this thread and I can have a look.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridcully View Post
Ok thanks, maybe I've remembered it wrong. I definitely do remember that something was changed and that it annoyed me a lot. I'll give it another try then
The Viewer used to put Bookmarks. That is now a Viewer setting
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #9
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
When you DO use the modify ebook function, Calibre automatically adds/modify the Metadata you have in Calibre library, for example, if the publisher book didn't have tags or tags different than the ones you used and you cleaned them and then use Modify ebook, then automatically the tags are updated and you see your tags instead of the originals.
But if you edit the ebook outside of Calibre, you'll see the original information.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
When you DO use the modify ebook function, Calibre automatically adds/modify the Metadata you have in Calibre library, for example, if the publisher book didn't have tags or tags different than the ones you used and you cleaned them and then use Modify ebook, then automatically the tags are updated and you see your tags instead of the originals.
But if you edit the ebook outside of Calibre, you'll see the original information.
But his behavior can be changed. It is an option in the eBook editor. I have mine set not to modify the metadata.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #11
Ridcully
Enthusiast

Good news, I managed to stop it tampering with the files (mostly) I turned off the option to keep the bookmarks in the files in viewer preferences. The option to update metadata on opening in the editor preferences managed to turn itself back on somehow ;( Luckily I kept backup copies and I don't plan to use the editor.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:20 AM   #12
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But his behavior can be changed. It is an option in the eBook editor. I have mine set not to modify the metadata.
Thanks! I wasn't aware of that, although I think I'll keep it turned on, a lot of publishers don't provide a proper blurb in the metadata and the ISBN doesn't have the proper tag to identify it, so having it automatically informed is easier, although then I have to delete the added metadata I don't care about.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:26 AM   #13
Ramana
Connoisseur
Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox i86 Hdml plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre has never modified ebook files in its library when editing metadata
Hi Kovid,
How modify the metadata in the ebooks ? The title I have changed is not reflecting when try to copy all the epub files into some directory.
Ramana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:03 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramana View Post
How modify the metadata in the ebooks ? The title I have changed is not reflecting when try to copy all the epub files into some directory.
Preferences->Save to Disk has a setting to save with current metadata.

Format files in the library can be updated with current metadata via the Polish Books (aPub and AZW), or Embed Metadata (most formats) tools - you may have to add them to a toolbar/menu. The optional Modify plugin has as update metadata as one of its options, it only works on ePubs.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #15
Ramana
Connoisseur
Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox i86 Hdml plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Preferences->Save to Disk has a setting to save with current metadata.

Format files in the library can be updated with current metadata via the Polish Books (aPub and AZW), or Embed Metadata (most formats) tools - you may have to add them to a toolbar/menu. The optional Modify plugin has as update metadata as one of its options, it only works on ePubs.

BR
Thank you
Ramana is offline   Reply With Quote