Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
gandoe
Enthusiast
gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Onyx Boox Max2/Max2 Pro (13.3) compared with Note 10.3

Does anyone know of a hardware / software feature comparison or review specifically contrasting these two eReaders?

I've been waiting for a higher resolution, open Android, larger format eReader, and it seems that Onyx finally delivered (minus the front light!).

I was initially planning on the Note 10.3 for portability, but after reviewing some videos, am veering towards the larger screen of the Max2, especially in the context of taking notes.

Can someone provide first hand experience, or at least a highlight of the key differences?

TIA
Ed
gandoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
iFlak
Enthusiast
iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: reMarkable
I ordered the Max 2 because of my impatience waiting for the Note. It was very cool, but it was just way too big for me. I have small hands and it felt unwieldy. I'm now waiting very impatiently for the Note.
iFlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Although I don't have the Max 2, I have the Note. From what I can see from reading the comments of various users of both devices in various threads, it seems that the Note and Max 2 are running virtually the same software. As such, the main differences that I can see are:

- screen size: the Max 2 is obviously much bigger which has certain benefits, but also some drawbacks in that it is not as portable. I have the original Max, which I am still pleased with, but prefer the size of the Note for the majority of my purposes.

- HDMI connectivity: the Max 2 has an HDMI input port while the Note doesn't.

- physical buttons: the Max 2 has more physical buttons. Thus one can currently do things such as taking a screenshot by simultaneously pressing down on the page forward and backward buttons. Currently, the Note is unable to take screenshots due to its lack of such buttons.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandoe View Post
feature comparison
I understand that on the Note the only hardware button is "Back", besides the power button. It's a one-string guitar. Onyx fell into a horrible lapse of reason with that.
The Max2 has, as expected, "Menu", "Back", "Up", "Down" besides the power button.

Both are missing an SD-Card slot.

> veering towards the larger screen of the Max2

I'd like to leave here the idle note that 13.3'' vs 9.7'' = "two pages on screen" vs "one page on screen"... It may not be immediately evident, but it is almost like A4 vs A5. Of course, this point of view may compromise with ergonomics.
This difference proposed, E-Ink's ES103TC1 display shows 20% more information than ES133TT3 (it's denser), and it's slightly bigger than half the other one.

Last edited by mdp; 04-02-2018 at 12:30 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I am wondering.

Do the Onyx Boox 2 and the Note have the same processor with the same speed? Haven't found comparing specs so far.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Do the Onyx Boox 2 and the Note have the same processor with the same speed?
Yes I was wondering the same though I would bet they do.
The answer is in
cat /proc/cpuinfo
from an 'adb shell' or a terminal on Android.

Also 'getprop' offers information.

Performance comparison, I would recommend running Geekbench 3 (number three, not four).
For the Max2, the raw performance values are around 750 using a single core and 2000 using multi-core computations.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:49 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I am wondering.

Do the Onyx Boox 2 and the Note have the same processor with the same speed? Haven't found comparing specs so far.
You should look in our wiki. They both have a Cortex-A9 1.6 GHZ quad core processor.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
gandoe
Enthusiast
gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post

I'd like to leave here the idle note that 13.3'' vs 9.7'' = "two pages on screen" vs "one page on screen"... It may not be immediately evident, but it is almost like A4 vs A5. Of course, this point of view may compromise with ergonomics.
This difference proposed, E-Ink's ES103TC1 display shows 20% more information than ES133TT3 (it's denser), and it's slightly bigger than half the other one.
Are you suggesting that the 13.3 "two pages on screen" is equivalent to two sheets of A5 (or, to visualize it, a legal size paper turned landscape and folded)?

I was specifically wondering about the two screen note-taking function. I assume the the ereading app of choice can still use a pop-up note box (not ideal); but can you also default to the two screen mode for notes? And how does that work on the Note 10.3 screen?

And, I'm not quite following your comments about the EInk specs. Do the two ereaders utilize different specs, because the screen size is different? Of when the screen is turned landscape the EInk specs change?

TIA for your help !
Ed
Old 04-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
They both have a Cortex-A9 1.6 GHZ quad core processor
But an A9 does not perform like any other A9...
The Max2 uses a RK3288, which I consider very fast. Likewise, the frequency tells very little per se. You need the model.

And, I am pretty sure the RK3288 is an A12/A17, not an A9...

EDIT: confirmed. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Rockchip RK3288 is an ARM architecture System on Chip (SoC) from Rockchip. It is the first SoC, in August 2014, that uses the 32 bit ARM Cortex-A17 processor
The distinction between A9 and A12/A17 is important, because with the latter you get much more power for your battery charge.

EDIT2: we are used to expressions like <<quad core ARM Cortex A9>>, from vendors heavily compromising with information and in this wave of treating customers like dummies, but that expression is not very different from <<a British four-wheel vehicle from 2010>>. Putting in the same basket Mini, Bentley, rebranded Lada, sport, city, van... Brand and model are required.

Last edited by mdp; 04-02-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandoe View Post
Are you suggesting that the 13.3 "two pages on screen" is equivalent to two sheets of A5 (or, to visualize it, a legal size paper turned landscape and folded)?
[...]
And, I'm not quite following your comments about the EInk specs. Do the two ereaders utilize different specs, because the screen size is different? Of when the screen is turned landscape the EInk specs change?
Check the posts at
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...light=ES133TT3
with specific regard to the printouts,

and the comparison in the previous page of the same thread, which I copy here for reference.

Quote:
Note that, comparing the ES133TT3 and the ES103TC1,
-- the 13.3'' is around 75% bigger than the 10.3'' / you lose a bit more than 40% of the area, but
-- the 10.3'' is slightly more dense ("slightly", if you look linearly, 206ppi vs 226ppi - it has 20% more dots per area, which is not bad at all) - the 13.3'' has almost 40% more dots / with the 10.3'' you lose less than 30% of the dots.

Rephrasing: going a bit smaller, you lose 42% of the area but only 28% of the dots.
The "readers" (assembled final product) pick from pre-existing products/components, of course...
Old 04-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #11
gandoe
Enthusiast

Thank you very much!
Old 04-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
But an A9 does not perform like any other A9...
The Max2 uses a RK3288, which I consider very fast. Likewise, the frequency tells very little per se. You need the model.

And, I am pretty sure the RK3288 is an A12/A17, not an A9...

EDIT: confirmed. From Wikipedia:

The distinction between A9 and A12/A17 is important, because with the latter you get much more power for your battery charge.

EDIT2: we are used to expressions like <<quad core ARM Cortex A9>>, from vendors heavily compromising with information and in this wave of treating customers like dummies, but that expression is not very different from <<a British four-wheel vehicle from 2010>>. Putting in the same basket Mini, Bentley, rebranded Lada, sport, city, van... Brand and model are required.
Thanks for that information. I will update the wiki.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote