Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
JP91306
Connoisseur
JP91306 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question Companion doesn't always show CORRECT covers

This is a bit hard to explain but here's the try:

My Calibre Companion shows the correct covers when I am just looking at any of the lists (Authors, Titles, Recent....ect.)

But when I click an item, to go to the next page to read metadata, download, send to Read....etc....the cover shown on THAT page is WRONG (way more often than not.) The covers are from other books in the system. All the other metadata is correct.

When I export the book to Books on the iPad. (for instance) the cover shown there, is correct. (iPad is 11" iPad Pro. OS is version 13.3)

If I DISCONECT, and look at the list of items that are "On Device" those covers are wrong almost allways. (Oddly not ALL are wrong, but all that are actually iBooks (epub) are.)

Now, I have LOTS of books in my library (5457), I try to put good covers on all of them. I always update the book if I change the cover, and they show properly on the internal reader.

I have run the Library Maintenance. It sometimes finds a few items like Extra Titles, or Extra Formats (because I haven't converted or something), and those get repaired, but there are no errors found.

Calibre is up to date...I update every time a new version is offered.
The issue has "survived" several updates.

Current version is 4.8 (64 bit)

So...what have I done wrong?
How do I repair it?

(I have tried to provide as much tech info as I understand here, but maybe I missed something.)

Thank you,

jp
JP91306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #2
ShaunBlake
ShaunBlake began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 6P; Nexus 7; Windows 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP91306 View Post
This is a bit hard to explain but here's the try:

My Calibre Companion….

(iPad is 11" iPad Pro. OS is version 13.3)

Thank you,

jp
JP, it would be great if you specified you were asking about the iOS version of CC. (I can't say that you would get any replies, but the Andy users wouldn't be adding to the traffic, and maybe making you feel bad so many people looked but wouldn't help.) jus' sayin' <shrug>
ShaunBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:39 AM   #3
JP91306
Connoisseur
JP91306 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunBlake View Post
JP, it would be great if you specified you were asking about the iOS version of CC. (I can't say that you would get any replies, but the Andy users wouldn't be adding to the traffic, and maybe making you feel bad so many people looked but wouldn't help.) jus' sayin' <shrug>

You have really confused me now...I did say:
"When I export the book to Books on the iPad. (for instance) the cover shown there, is correct. (iPad is 11" iPad Pro. OS is version 13.3)"

But you seem to be saying I left something ELSE out that would have helped. I would be happy to...but I really don't understand.

Is there some other version of CC that would run on an iPad? Is there some other OS besides iOS that will run ...and that other people use?

What did I miss ?

jp
JP91306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:09 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
1. there is an android version. covers work ok in that
2. there is at least one other thread about incorrect covers: suggest you find and read it

TL DR. the IOS app has several bugs, this is one of them. there is no eta for a fix
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
samcohen
Connoisseur
samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've taken note of this bug and it is being fixed.
samcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:57 PM   #6
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcohen View Post
I've taken note of this bug and it is being fixed.
Laughable. How long have you been leading us on about this elusive update that introduces all the fixes for everything you broke? I've lost track.
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:33 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclanahan View Post
Laughable. How long have you been leading us on about this elusive update that introduces all the fixes for everything you broke? I've lost track.
It's been a while...
for the record:
the last IOS release, which is known to be very buggy, was in Sept 2019. so 4+ months and counting...

repeated requests for a bug fix eta have only been answered with a vague "sometime in Q1 2020", a slippage from " hopefully before xmas 2019".

but TBH, a quick scan of threads here shows that there have been various issues with covers going all the way back to 2016. Its unclear whether the previous developers fixed them all , & then it got broke again; or if they were never fully fixed. Only someone who still has the previous version installed and updates disabled could check that
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote