Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
I would completely write BN off if they added that fug keyboard to the eink Nook. I'm fine with them taking away the LCD panel, but a horrible Kindle knock-off would be a deal breaker for me.
They need to do something to give them better battery life. I'd get a Sony if the price wasn't so damn high.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
Mirasol can't make a panel as big as 6". I believe Qualcomm said they're focusing on the cell phone market and not in the eBook/Tablet market.

Ah, didn't know that. Well, my first vote is for full e-ink touchscreen anyway. I don't really need color.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #18
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
things are looking better for B&N, too bad Borders didn't think of the future.

a little article about their stock up with the news of a new reader
http://www.mediabistro.com/ebooknews...ulation_b10358
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #19
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
things are looking better for B&N, too bad Borders didn't think of the future.

a little article about their stock up with the news of a new reader
http://www.mediabistro.com/ebooknews...ulation_b10358
IMO, the biggest blunder Borders made was relying too heavily on partnerships and not focusing on themselves. They relied on Amazon for years for a website, and when that deal ended, they stumbled. Then, when digital reads started getting big, they didn't start developing their own, they relied on Kobo to hook up to Border and then sold those and Sonys. Unfortunately, they probably didn't have the capital for any R&D thanks to their long chain of mismatched CEOs who started the fall. It's such a shame.

In new nook news, I officially have no clue whatsoever it'll be. I will only officially know when we open the FedEx packages on May 24 with all the new signage. I rely on the tech blogs to keep me informed. :P
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #20
CyW
CyW began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Pandigital Novel
It is interesting reading the various forums since the announcement about the upcoming announcement. I have read speculation of a full slate to the coming to the Messiah.

I tend agree with much I read here that it will be a new e-ink device, there is still a very large market for it. Why would they introduce another color device when the current one is selling like hotcakes.
CyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #21
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedifarfy View Post
IMO, the biggest blunder Borders made was relying too heavily on partnerships and not focusing on themselves. ...Then, when digital reads started getting big, they didn't start developing their own, they relied on Kobo to hook up to Border and then sold those and Sonys.
I concur. They probably would've done pretty well to try to break into the market with SOME kind of ereader. I mean, they could've still sold some others there (variety is the spice of life), but mostly focused on their own device, offering special deals for purchasing the Borders device (much like the SO-Kindle being offered at Amazon).

That may have helped things along, but the rest of their shortcomings wouldn't be made up for by doing their own ereader.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #22
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Netbooknews thinks this is going to have e-ink and touchscreen.

http://www.netbooknews.com/24785/bar...k-touch-hints/
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #23
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Netbooknews thinks this is going to have e-ink and touchscreen./
That is what I am hoping for. Then I'll have both a touchscreen eInk and a touchscreen Color. Ah....Nirvana!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #24
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
That is what I am hoping for. Then I'll have both a touchscreen eInk and a touchscreen Color. Ah....Nirvana!!!
Touch screen eInk eliminates the need for the touch LCD on the bottom, which should do wonders for battery life.

It would be nice if it kept the same form factor to reuse the old nook cases, but I would guess it will probably be an identical form factor to the nook color.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #25
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
CR post:
http://news.consumerreports.org/elec...ok-reader.html
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #26
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet, Asus TF300, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
Touch screen eInk eliminates the need for the touch LCD on the bottom, which should do wonders for battery life.

It would be nice if it kept the same form factor to reuse the old nook cases, but I would guess it will probably be an identical form factor to the nook color.

I have my Nook Classic in a case that was designed for the Nook Color. It's a nice leather case I found on Ebay for $15...the leather that goes around the bezel covers the page buttons on the classic Nook, but after a little use you know where to press to turn the pages....or you can use the touch screen at the bottom to turn pages (as I do).

I look forward to seeing the new Nook design, but it would take something major to get me to buy another reader. I have a Nook Classic and a Nook Color and I am happy with both.
ncguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #27
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I bought a Nook Classic from one of the refurb sales. It's my least favorite and will probably be a perpetual loaner. I like my Sony readers better. If B&N brought us a touch screen, and got rid of the LCD strip, it would make the device a little smaller, which would be good. If they did this I could see buying the new version.

I have to admit it, I am a gadget freak. And e-readers are in the Moore's Law sweet spot - the prices are dropping while the coolness grows. How can I resist buying yet another device, and another, and another?
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #28
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Since the article makes sense, all they are doing is updating the Nook. This is great for someone looking to replace their ereader, but don't you think it is costing them sales of the Color Nook while people wait until the 24th to see what's up?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #29
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet, Asus TF300, Nexus 7
I am hoping for a 7" E-ink touch screen that matches the Nook Color. I like having the color LCD, but I am willing to give it up to get a larger touch screen.

I hope B&N is not releasing a cheaper Nook to compete with the ad version of the Kindle (which is nothing but a scam in my opinion). If I have to look at ads then the reader should be FREE! LOL
ncguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy68 View Post
I hope B&N is not releasing a cheaper Nook to compete with the ad version of the Kindle (which is nothing but a scam in my opinion). If I have to look at ads then the reader should be FREE! LOL
It's not a scam and you only have to look at the ads if you want to. My KSO is already down to $86 and on track to be free within the next few weeks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote