Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
kiat
kiat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Calibre library migration

Hi

I got myself a new PC, how to I move the existing calibre library to my new PC?

Can I just move the entire library folder on my old PC to the new PC?
kiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiat View Post
Can I just move the entire library folder on my old PC to the new PC?
Yes you can. Here is the section of the FAQ that talks about moving to a new computer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Will using the method in the FAQ preserve program preferences as well? When I look in my library folder the only non-book related files I see are metadata.db and metadata.opf.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #4
bigpallooka
Connoisseur
bigpallooka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo/Tablet PC/Desktop/Laptop
That is a very good question I would like the answer to also. Hope someone has a definitive answer because from what I'm reading regarding issues in other posts it doesn't seem so.
bigpallooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
Will using the method in the FAQ preserve program preferences as well? When I look in my library folder the only non-book related files I see are metadata.db and metadata.opf.
No. You must also copy the contents of the preferences folder, which you can find by going to preferences -> advanced -> miscellaneous and pushing the 'open calibre configuration directory' button.

Note that if you are changing between operating systems (e.g., windows -> mac), preferences might not go over cleanly. I don't know if there are OS-dependent values in there.

To complete the picture: the metadata.db file contains: custom column definitions, saved searches, plugboards, user categories, column positions and alignments, and conversion options. These will move with the library, and do not require moving the preferences.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert