Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 09-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Anonymous (Burton Tr): The Thousand Nights and a Night, v.1, 29 September 2008

"The Book of The Thousand Nights and a Night
A Plain and Literal Translation of the Arabian Nights Entertainments.
With Introduction Explanatory Notes on the Manners and Customs of Moslem Men and a Terminal Essay upon the History of the Nights.
Translated and Annotated by Richard F. Burton."
[Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton K.C.M.G. F.R.G.S. (1821–1890)]

This translation is not for children.

Richard Burton’s The Book of The Thousand Nights and a Night was originally privately published by The Kama Shastra Society, in ten volumes, in 1885. This was a limited edition of 1000 copies (oddly, not 1001).
(A further six volumes were subsequently published as a Supplement to the Nights.)
This edition has used the online plain-text transcriptions from Project Gutenberg http://gutenberg.org, vols 1–10. These contain a number of errors, which I have tried to correct. Some undoubtedly remain.

Footnotes have been linked and collected at the end of the text. I have transliterated Greek characters, except from a line of Homer, which has been inserted as a picture.
I made the decision to insert line breaks within some couplets at the caesura. Unfortunately, few current electronic readers will display the whole line, so the caesura seemed the obvious place for a break. I have added some of the original artwork.

It took Book Designer slightly more than one and a half hours to make the Sony Reader file as it wheezed and grumbled about making 11292 notes and links. The file is about one and a half million words.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The Thousand Nights and a Night.lrf (8.78 MB, 976 views)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Gadzooks!! I can't wait to put this on my Reader for my enjoyment, Patricia. Thank you so much for your unending efforts at creating great books for us!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
My pleasure, VR. I hope that you enjoy it.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505

Ever since reading a biography about Burton I've been fascinated with him
I'm very happy to get my hands on this book
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote