Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-21-2020, 11:51 PM   #3616
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Today's Daily Deal in Amazon.co.uk includes Katherine Addison The Goblin Emperor at 99p:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goblin-Emperor-Katherine-Addison-ebook/dp/B07NDX96R8/ref=lp_5400977031_1_5?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1582343983&sr=1-5

Note that it's a repeat,

I loved that book. She's also written under the name Sarah Monette.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #3617
itisbomb
Addict
itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 4
Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
by Jim Butcher

is $1.99 at U.S. stores

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Grave-Peril-D...ave+per&sr=8-1

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/gra...-dresden-files
itisbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #3618
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Guards, Guards! by Terry Pratchett is just £0.99 in today's Kindle Daily Deal.

Despite being the eighth in his Discworld series, it's the first to feature Sam Vimes of the Night Watch, and a good place to start. (Unless you're fanatical about reading series in publication order.)
I'm going to disagree about this being a good place to start. The best place to start with Discworld is at the beginning and read in published (also chronological) order.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #3619
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm going to disagree about this being a good place to start. The best place to start with Discworld is at the beginning and read in published (also chronological) order.
Personally, I loathed the early Rincewind books, which is what you'll start with by starting with The Colour of Magic. As a result, I dumped the series in the late 80s and didn't go back to it until the mid 2000s. I'm slowly picking up the ebooks at 99p; and I'm prepared to wait for them.

It really depends on your taste; I'm happy just to have the City Watch books and keep them, the rest (as far as I am concerned) can be left to one side.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #3620
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Clearly my disclaimer wasn't bold or big enough to ward you off. Let me repeat it here, bigger and bolder

a good place to start. (Unless you're fanatical about reading series in publication order.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #3621
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'm going to disagree about this
Of course you are.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #3622
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Of course you are.

I was thinking how no one ever says this, then I saw who the post was from.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #3623
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Clearly my disclaimer wasn't bold or big enough to ward you off. Let me repeat it here, bigger and bolder

a good place to start. (Unless you're fanatical about reading series in publication order.)

Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:42 AM   #3624
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Personally, I loathed the early Rincewind books, which is what you'll start with by starting with The Colour of Magic. As a result, I dumped the series in the late 80s and didn't go back to it until the mid 2000s. I'm slowly picking up the ebooks at 99p; and I'm prepared to wait for them.

It really depends on your taste; I'm happy just to have the City Watch books and keep them, the rest (as far as I am concerned) can be left to one side.
I wouldn't say loathe, but the first few books are quite different to the rest of the series, he really hadn't found his style.
Discworld really isn't a series of books, it is multiple series set in the same universe.
I like most of the books, but the City Watch series is my favourite, and I would also recommend starting there.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:29 PM   #3625
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I wouldn't say loathe, but the first few books are quite different to the rest of the series, he really hadn't found his style.
Discworld really isn't a series of books, it is multiple series set in the same universe.
I like most of the books, but the City Watch series is my favourite, and I would also recommend starting there.
I wasn't going to start this discussion again, but I also read the first few book when they came out, and decided they weren't for me. Too banal. I picked up one of the Guards series ( Clay Feet ) and immediately started into that sub-series and loved it. Started giving away copies, etc.

So I also do NOT advise going chronologically.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #3626
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Crosspost to the "other fiction" thread for Dragonfly In Amber, the second in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, £0.99 at Kindle UK: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3957473
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:24 PM   #3627
itisbomb
Addict
itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Revenger (The Revenger Series #1)
by Alastair Reynolds

is $2.99 at U.S. stores

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/revenger-6
Old 02-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #3628
itisbomb
Addict

The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and Coin #1)
by Daniel Abraham

is $2.99 at U.S. stores

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the-dragon-s-path
Old 02-27-2020, 01:43 AM   #3629
itisbomb
Addict

Pale Demon (Hollows #9)
by Kim Harrison

is $1.99 at U.S. stores

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/pale-demon

Below is the blurb:
New York Times bestselling urban fantasy superstar Kim Harrison is back with Pale Demon—her ninth electrifying adventure featuring contemporary witch Rachel Morgan. This time Rachel's leaving the Hollows, on a cross-country road trip with a pixy, an elf, and a vampire, as she races to clear her blackened name at a California witches' convention in order to avoid an eternity of torment at the claws of a soul-devouring demon. Pale Demon is Kim Harrison at her gothic best—combining mystery, action, intrigue, paranormal romance, and breathtaking dark fantasy in a delicious witches’ brew that fans of Laurell K. Hamilton, Charlaine Harris, Stephenie Meyer, and Jim Butcher simply will not be able to resist.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #3630
BetterRead
Addict
BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
The Book of Magic: A Collection of Stories edited by Gardner Dozois is currently $1.99 at various etailers.

Quote:
A new anthology celebrating the witches and sorcerers of epic fantasy—featuring stories by George R. R. Martin, Scott Lynch, Megan Lindholm, and many others!

Hot on the heels of Gardner Dozois’s acclaimed anthology The Book of Swords comes this companion volume devoted to magic. How could it be otherwise? For every Frodo, there is a Gandalf . . . and a Saruman. For every Dorothy, a Glinda . . . and a Wicked Witch of the West. What would Harry Potter be without Albus Dumbledore . . . and Severus Snape? Figures of wisdom and power, possessing arcane, often forbidden knowledge, wizards and sorcerers are shaped—or misshaped—by the potent magic they seek to wield. Yet though their abilities may be godlike, these men and women remain human—some might say all too human. Such is their curse. And their glory.

In these pages, seventeen of today’s top fantasy writers—including award-winners Elizabeth Bear, John Crowley, Kate Elliott, K. J. Parker, Tim Powers, and Liz Williams—cast wondrous spells that thrillingly evoke the mysterious, awesome, and at times downright terrifying worlds where magic reigns supreme: worlds as far away as forever, and as near as next door.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079F3JG7M/
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...=9780399593796
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the-book-of-magic-2
BetterRead is offline   Reply With Quote