Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #106
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
If that means I sell fewer books, so be it.
I've heard pretty mediocre things about this book, and her attitude here is a turn-off for me. Very... elitest. Back in the day she probably would have been one of those people who frowned upon paperbacks and only allowed her work to be released in hardback. Pfffff.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:35 AM   #107
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I still think we should give the old lady a break, she probably hates computers, too. We all know what happened to dinosaurs, it is just a matter of time.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #108
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
E-books have allowed me to read books I would have otherwise not looked at or paid attention to on a book shelf or because authors offer them up here..I also have become choosier about the books I have in print and buy more hard covers...I think that e-books can also allow us to appreciate those special books, the leather bound, books passed down through families. The e-books and ebook readers in 15 years will be incredible to us. Can't wait
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #109
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Well, it's all moot for me now. Rachel McAdams, one of the stars of the film, appeared on "The Daily Show" last night, and blabbed three absolutely major spoilers, pretty much killing whatever intrigue it might have had for either reading or viewing. As a result, I think I'll wait until it's on Showtime.

(just FYI, to demonstrate my love/hate relationship with spoilers, I was the creator of the moviepooper.com web site.)

Curt
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #110
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
(just FYI, to demonstrate my love/hate relationship with spoilers, I was the creator of the moviepooper.com web site.)
I'm guessing that's nothing like RunPee.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #111
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I'm guessing that's nothing like RunPee.
I'm at work, so I'm assuming it's not too safe to go there. Moviepooper is completely SFW. It is intended to ruin your potential enjoyment of the movie in as few words as possible.

Three years ago, I sold the site to the owner of The Movie Spoiler, where he gives a "long form" plot summary. they're both fun sites.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #112
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Nah, it's fine for work. It lets you know when it's safe to take a bathroom break while at the movies.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #113
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Nah, it's fine for work. It lets you know when it's safe to take a bathroom break while at the movies.
cool! Thanks.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #114
Amalthia
Guru
Amalthia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Amalthia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Amalthia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Amalthia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Amalthia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Amalthia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Amalthia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Amalthia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Amalthia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Amalthia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Amalthia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Yes, reading a pbook can be a pleasing experience, aesthetically. I especially love very old books. But if the story and the writing are good in themselves, the form of the book shouldn't matter much. One soon forgets and becomes lost in the world the author has created.

BTW, I found her reply very patronising. I don't think I invaded her privacy by posting the exchange, as I had told her about the forum, so she could fairly assume that her response would be reported here.
I think the expectation of privacy among strangers is less than amongst friends. Basically, don't write anything you wouldn't sign your name to especially when talking to people you don't know.

I agree her response set my hackles up.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #115
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Interestingly, I just saw pdf scans of this book (TTTW) for sale on eBay.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:54 AM   #116
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hope you reported the sale as illegal?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #117
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hope you reported the sale as illegal?
From ebays rules:
Quote:
Only the intellectual property rights owner can report potentially infringing items or listings through eBay's VeRO Program. If you are not the intellectual property rights owner, you can still help by getting in touch with the rights owner and encouraging them to contact us.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #118
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
You can report any sales to eBay that are unauthorized copies of media:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...unterfeit.html
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #119
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Okay, in an above message I mentioned that I emailed the author. I'm gobsmacked by her response I deleted my email details etc from the following and have put them in the correct order (mine first):

To: Niffenegger, Audrey
Subject: ebooks: selling your books in e-formats?

Hi,

I'm a member of the MobileRead forum which is for those of us who prefer to read books in e-format. As yet, there is no legal way to purchase "The Time Traveler's Wife" in ebook format. Perhaps you could suggest to your agent/publisher that it be made available in various e formats for those of us who love our kindles, Sony ereaders, mobi's etc.

Just a suggestion,

Catherine

Dear Catherine,

I'm sorry, but I've devoted my life to physical books (I helped found the Columbia College Center for Book and Paper Arts) and e-books = dematerialised books. E-books imperil book design, typography, and other art forms that I care about. E-books are also not helpful to bookstores, and I love bookstores. So even though I understand that many people prefer e-books, I am not planning to issue my books in that form if I can avoid it. If that means I sell fewer books, so be it.

Thank you for your interest in my work, and for taking the time to write to me.

Regards,
Audrey Niffenegger

Or has nobody told Sony that she doesn't like E-books!!!

(Sorry if this has been posted before but I haven't read through the whole thread!)
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #120
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
I wonder whether she has now changed her mind...
http://ebookstore.sony.com/comingsoo...try/index.html

Or has nobody told Sony that she doesn't like E-books!!!

(Sorry if this has been posted before but I haven't read through the whole thread!)
Ha... good find. But, I'm guessing she is not even aware of this. But, if she where I am sure she would refuse all royalty payments from any sales of it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote