Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #76
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage, Forma, LibraH20, Mini, Oasis3, Voyage, Nova2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
... Shame Miss Niffenegger wont be seeing a red cent from all those people who'll source her book from the internet instead.
Indeed.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #77
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
The illegal pdf floating around on the net is really well put together. Fully working TOC, well laid out. Whoever made the version put a lot of time and effort into the end product. Shame Miss Niffenegger wont be seeing a red cent from all those people who'll source her book from the internet instead.
The version I saw isn't that nice.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #78
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The version I saw isn't that nice.
Compared to some I've seen it's a gem Not that I want to read it in any case.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #79
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
The illegal pdf floating around on the net is really well put together. Fully working TOC, well laid out. Whoever made the version put a lot of time and effort into the end product. Shame Miss Niffenegger wont be seeing a red cent from all those people who'll source her book from the internet instead.
I didn't find the PDF all that great, hence my OCR edition.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in her future contracts. The vast majority of publishers will insist on having E-rights. She may have a high-powered enough agent to fight them, but I'm betting this decision is going to be out of her hands next time.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #80
arshield
Enthusiast
arshield is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
As someone that owns both a paper copy and the audio copy of the book I am disappointed. I probably would have bought a ebook copy because I like the book that much.

On the other hand, the author is an artist as well as a professor at the Art Institute of Chicago. I am not at all surprised by her opinion even if I think it is a bad choice.
arshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #81
billposters
billposters has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billposters has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billposters has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billposters has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
I live in a third world country where it's not possible to buy the physical book so to offset my guilt at downloading an illegal lrf copy for my wife, I gave five bucks to a homeless lady. If the luddite author doesn't need my money at least someone benefitted by my "acquisition".
billposters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #82
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Obviously not against it, as Time Traveler's Wife is available as an audiobook. Kinda hypocritical, as her arguments against ebooks are something that audiobooks go even farther against the art of print. Destroy typography? Try not having any at all.
I don't think I'd call it hypocritical, as there is always the visually-impaired audience to justify the existence of audiobooks.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #83
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
No, but at the same time, the argument against ebooks (that it harms the art of print) applies to audiobooks, since it just totally does away with all the visuals.

If you're going to go the handicapped route, what about large print editions?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I loved this book and it was one of the ones I was hoping to buy again so that I could replace my paper copy with the ebook version.
Now it's time to toss out your paper copy and tell the author why.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #85
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Maybe we could build a big bonfire and just burn them.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #86
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Unfortunately, that tends to have very little effect on the authors, since most of them are more concerned about getting paid, and hey, they already got the money from those copies.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #87
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But it was a pleasure to burn.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #88
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
But it was a pleasure to burn.
Ahh, Fahrenheit 451, one of my all time favourite books and by my all-time favourite author. Pity he has nearly exactly the same opinion of e-books as Miss Niffeneger.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #89
BenG
Home Guard

Well, he's 88 years old so we'll make allowances. have you read his short story "The Murderer"? His description of people tethered to technology is uncanny.

As for Miss Niffeneger, I don't get the animosity toward her. Her opinion is disappointing, but it was politely stated.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #90
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Well, he's 88 years old so we'll make allowances. have you read his short story "The Murderer"? His description of people tethered to technology is uncanny.

As for Miss Niffeneger, I don't get the animosity toward her. Her opinion is disappointing, but it was politely stated.

Love the 'Murderer' as I do most all of Bradbury's work, and sure I can give him a pass, but its still a disappointment, same with Miss Niffeneger. I suppose I expect writers to be all for reading of any kind, no matter if it's print, an e-ink screen or scrawled on the side of a wall. Her brick and mortar concerns are symptomatic of the industry as a whole; unwilling to move forward or embrace burgeoning culture.