Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2021, 11:54 PM   #1
Pop36
Pop36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Paperwhite 3 in boot/update loop & other issues.

Hello, my Kindle is currently experiencing some major issues. Whenever the device reboots for whatever reason, it'll immediately get stuck in a loop of running an update install, rebooting, and running though it again until the battery drains. I can usually get the device back to a usable state once charging it back up, and it'll be usable, but if it reboots again, I end up stuck back in the same situation.

Also every time I manage to get it to boot up again, it's basically back to the state it was the last time it booted up. Any books I added will be gone, any books I deleted will still be there.

Any attempt I make to troubleshoot/fix the device just causes it to enter the loop again (or simply reboot without resolving any issues if the battery's low enough):
  • Holding down the power button for 40 seconds, 60 seconds or whatever? Nothing.
  • Trying to push a new firmware update, either through automatic download or manually adding the file in USB mode? Nothing, and the firmware is still the same version as always (5.11.1.1)
  • Attempting a factory restore, either through the device menu or with the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file? Nothing
  • Even attempting to run the KindleBreak jailbreak on it? Crashes out as expected, but just goes back to the same reboot loop, and there's no sign that the jailbreak worked afterwords.
I just want to know if there's some hope of saving this device, whether through some other bit of trickery I don't know about, or through wiring up a serial port and trying that way. Or am I just SOL?

Last edited by Pop36; 10-11-2021 at 11:57 PM.
Pop36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:11 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It is likely that the storage chip on your device has failed in a way that allows reads but prevents writing new information. This is a fairly common failure mode. The device will appear to work somewhat because writes are cached in memory, but eventually it will crash, reboot, and revert to an older state. It is a hardware problem.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
Your Kindle definitely needs a new memory chip.
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
How much storage is available? Maybe freeing up some would help. Also when you have it connected via USB to PC you could run some disk diagnostics to figure out if there is some issue with the storage itself.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
How much storage is available? Maybe freeing up some would help. Also when you have it connected via USB to PC you could run some disk diagnostics to figure out if there is some issue with the storage itself.
If the flash chip is rejecting writes due to age-induced cell failure, freeing up storage is as impossible as writing anything else.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert