Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The 2021 Annual Reading Challenge Discussion Thread

2021 Reading Challenge Discussion Thread

Welcome to our 12th Annual Reading Challenge!

Maybe you would like to read a certain number of pages this year, finish a certain number of books, concentrate on a specific genre or deplete your ever-growing TBR list. Maybe you're looking for ideas or you just want to see how far you can go…

This is the thread where we can share our personal goals and strategies or ask for suggestions and support. New ideas are encouraged and always welcomed.

The Annual Reading Challenge is neither a race, contest, nor an “exclusive club”, anyone can join! This is just a fun activity that some of us have enjoyed doing in the past. Many of us have found reading challenges to be an entertaining way to set goals for ourselves, get ideas for books, and see what others are reading.

You are welcome to keep track of the books you have read (or another goal) in the List Thread, here:

Plus, if you would like to discuss a particular book, please participate in the Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading? thread and share your thoughts about the book with others

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-23-2020 at 02:44 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome to the discussion thread.

I've decided the repeat my challenge from last year - to read more than I buy. It worked quite well in 2020, so I'm hoping to repeat this success in 2021.

In previous years, I've had a target number for my TBR pile. I think that just having 'as low as possible' helped.
Advert
Old 12-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do read more then I buy as I get a lot of eBooks from Overdrive. But as I didn't read as much as I wanted to in 2020, I plan to read more in 2021. I had a lo of other things gioing on that won't be happening in 2021.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:30 AM   #4
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Ooo, sounds cool!
Myself, I already read more than I buy, as I never actually buy books. Overdrive is my best friend
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:45 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Ooo, sounds cool!
Myself, I already read more than I buy, as I never actually buy books. Overdrive is my best friend
If you'd like to join in publicly, just make a post over in the 2021 List thread.
Advert
Old 12-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I hope I’ve finally learned my lesson and will pick only one topic, in hopes I actually stick with it. There could be a rider of revisiting at the half-year mark, either to extend it or to replace it with something new. I’ve had a lot of topics clutching at me, which is why I generally overcommit; the other mistake I frequently make is to repeat a topic I’ve enjoyed. I don’t know what I’ll choose yet. Top contenders are Spain or the Middle Ages, but I’m absolutely open to a last-minute inspiration.

Otherwise, I’ll keep my standard benchmark of 120 books which generally isn’t a problem. I think I shall probably also add a “poem-a-day” goal, in the advance knowledge that I’ll slip up. Perhaps if it’s a goal I’ll be likelier to get back on the horse, to mix metaphors.

As far as buying goes, I flirted with a goal of reading everything I bought this year and in fact, I kept it up into April. I blame Covid. I think this is a worthy goal and wonder if I should add it, knowing that by year’s end I’ll have missed, or have some target percentage. The former would be more effective in terms of a goad (both in reading and in not-buying) the latter in terms of actually hitting it, which argues for the former.

Still thinking.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #7
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Read as much as possible, hopefully more than I did in 2020. Didn't read as much as usual. One goal is to read more Russian literature. And non-fiction. I didn't read any non-fiction in 2020.

Last edited by Indio777; 12-23-2020 at 12:53 PM. Reason: clarify reading goals a bit
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #8
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I want to hopefully read more than this year as well. Lowest total since I started keeping track.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #9
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Length Goals:
  • Total Books: 75 (stretch goal of 100) (up from 50/75 last year)
  • Total Pages: 25,000
  • E-TBR Reduction: 25
  • Print-TBR Reduction: 10

Substantive Goals:
  • Read at least 51% non-American authors
  • Read more female/nonbinary authors than male
  • Read at least 52 short stories
  • Read at least 10 books across all our collections that are my wife's or that she wants me to read.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #10
frailtyy
frailtyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frailtyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frailtyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frailtyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frailtyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frailtyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frailtyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frailtyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frailtyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frailtyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frailtyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I haven't joined in on this before and I hardly have any detailed goals but looking to wrap at least a book a week (52 total) with a stretch of 100.
frailtyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:21 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by frailtyy View Post
I haven't joined in on this before and I hardly have any detailed goals but looking to wrap at least a book a week (52 total) with a stretch of 100.
Welcome. I find it fun to compare goals, and even more interesting to track my own reading.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:10 PM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My goals are pretty much the same as last year. 3,000 pages a month and reduction of owned TBR of ebooks, magazines and audiobooks (totaled separately). Just 10 fewer than owned on Dec 31 in each category. No major rereads of series planned for this year so should make more progress on that this year.

My new goal this year is at least one book each month that is at least 650 pages (paperback) long. It's not that I don't read/listen to long books, but they seem to be piling up faster than I read them. They aren't all Peter Hamilton, Brandon Sanderson or Charles Dickens although those 3 authors do make up quite the bulk of the longer books.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-23-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:35 PM   #13
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
My goals for 2021:
  • 130 books for the year
  • At least three books in non-L1 languages.
  • Don Quixote
  • Pick a Dickens to finally give him a go.
  • Embrace my "read for fun" mantra.
  • Something from each of the Five Eyes.
  • Something English from indigenous Africa.
  • Read more poetry.
  • Try reading poetry in non-L1/L2 languages.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 12-23-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #14
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
My goal is 125 books for 2021 should be doable as i have managed 131 so far this year. I would like to read more than i buy but that will not happen unless i cut my credit card lol
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #15
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
My goal is 125 books for 2021 should be doable as i have managed 131 so far this year. I would like to read more than i buy but that will not happen unless i cut my credit card lol
Yeah, and stay off the computer. I tend to buy a lot less then. I don't buy from my phone unless it's cat food or grocery store pickup.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote