Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
lazyt
lazyt began at the beginning.

Device: Energy Sistem E Reader Pro +
eReader Pro+ v2 and Google Play books

Hi all,

After some wonderful help here, I was able to get my pro+ up and running again, including installing v2. However, my sole reason for getting this device - Google Play Books - is not working correctly as it was with v1. Basically, it's paging (pagination) is totally off, with parts of the text being rendered off the page and weirdly places page breaks.

I'm really disappointed because, as I mentioned, this app is the sole reason I purchased this device (and I had confirmed before purchasing that GPB works fine). Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone have any solution?

p.s. I can post screenshots if the description of the issue isn't clear, if someone can tell me how.
lazyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
lazyt

Here is a photo of the screen. Notice the lack of margins on top and on bottom? This is because there is still text there! (I.e. the margins extend to part of the screen that is non-existent).

http://i.imgur.com/bHooKaX.png

p.s. MODS: if you can insert [img] tags with scaling to a decent size, thanks!

Last edited by lazyt; 09-18-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Advert
Old 09-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Don't know about Google Play Books but the picture looks like the App is not working in fullscreen. That can be solved be installing full!screen (more here).
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
lazyt

Thank - really loving the full screen mode. Unfortunately, it didn't help. Here is another image from the page preview mode showing the page break right down the middle: http://imgur.com/zQU43fO
Old 09-21-2015, 04:24 AM   #5
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like an error in the Google Play books app. Only the developer can repair that. You should contact them. Don't know if they are producing an eInk friendly version of this. I wouldn't use it but rather stick to working reading apps.

Edit:
Quote:
After some wonderful help here, I was able to get my pro+ up and running again, including installing v2. However, my sole reason for getting this device - Google Play Books - is not working correctly as it was with v1. Basically, it's paging (pagination) is totally off, with parts of the text being rendered off the page and weirdly places page breaks.
Actually I don't believe that this is a problem which came out after updating the firmware. I guess it has more to do with updating Google Play books.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 09-21-2015 at 04:28 AM.
Advert
Old 09-21-2015, 04:46 AM   #6
lazyt

Actually, Google Play Books was working just fine with v1. I'm not sure how, but it seems the firmware managed to screw it up.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:00 AM   #7
nhedgehog
Guru

If so, have you tried to reset (delete all data of) Google Play Books?
BTW: Its easy to switch between two versions of the firmware.
You just need to flash the system.img. How to backup and flash it is described in theRK3026 E-Readers Kitchen thread.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
lazyt

Yes, I have tried clearing the data. I also reset my device since (factory reset). Neither helped.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
V3t
V3t doesn't litterV3t doesn't litter

Device: Energy E-Reader Pro+
I have that issue on my note3, I have been wondering if the DPI has been causing this. Perhaps something similar here?

I don't really use it so never looked into it, was just comparing a sample to a kindle book.
V3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #10
lazyt

DPI sounds like a very likely culprit. Did the DPI change between versions? Now that I'm rooted, how can I change the DPI?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
nhedgehog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyt View Post
DPI sounds like a very likely culprit. Did the DPI change between versions? Now that I'm rooted, how can I change the DPI?
I guess thats the "ro.sf.lcd_density=" value in the system\build.prop

Boyue T62D firmware from 03/2015 has the value:
ro.sf.lcd_density=212

But you can verify this by yourself while comparing build.prop of v1&v2 of the ES ROMs.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #12
V3t

Yeah changing the DPI on phone worked. 480 it didn't like, 320 worked fine.

You just need to edit the build.prop file or there are probably a few apps on Google Play Store that would do it. I am not sure how it will effect Energy's launcher though so your mileage may vary. As for the value I think 240 is a "standard" value as well as 320 and 480.

Another thought would be to check V1 dpi and compare, I would for you but I don't use my Energy ereader anymore so don't have the tools about unfortunately.

Another alternative would be the xposed framework with per app dpi setting, might be safest route!

An alternative would be to find a multi dpi version of the APK... Google play store can also be finicky about DPI and there are some multi dpi ones of it around.

Last edited by V3t; 09-21-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #13
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
I guess thats the "ro.sf.lcd_density=" value in the system\build.prop

Boyue T62D firmware from 03/2015 has the value:
ro.sf.lcd_density=212

But you can verify this by yourself while comparing build.prop of v1&v2 of the ES ROMs.
If you change the dpi in the build.prop, it won't work properly and you'll have to put the original back using adb. Been there done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3t View Post
Yeah changing the DPI on phone worked. 480 it didn't like, 320 worked fine.

You just need to edit the build.prop file or there are probably a few apps on Google Play Store that would do it. I am not sure how it will effect Energy's launcher though so your mileage may vary. As for the value I think 240 is a "standard" value as well as 320 and 480.

Another thought would be to check V1 dpi and compare, I would for you but I don't use my Energy ereader anymore so don't have the tools about unfortunately.

Another alternative would be the xposed framework with per app dpi setting, might be safest route!

An alternative would be to find a multi dpi version of the APK... Google play store can also be finicky about DPI and there are some multi dpi ones of it around.
Xposed App Settings module should fix the problem. I had a similar issue with Overdrive and changing the dpi using App Settings fixed it. It took a few tries to find a dpi that worked.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:31 AM   #14
lazyt

I tried playing with the DPI but it got me nowhere. What DPI are you guys using?
Old 09-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #15
V3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyt View Post
I tried playing with the DPI but it got me nowhere. What DPI are you guys using?
I will wipe the dust off mine and try tonight, did you try 240 & 320?

Tags
energy sistem, pro+