Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #121
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'd love to know what changed her mind (surely her publishers would have to make her aware considering her attitude!)
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #122
poohbear_nc
Not Your Dinner!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
This may be more of a publisher issue - the newest book is published by Simon & Schuster - which is well established in producing ebooks. TTTW was published by Mariner - which currently has very few ebook offerings (at least at Amazon). Wonder if she read the contract's fine print for the new book?

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 09-01-2009 at 01:04 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #123
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I posted early in this thread that she might not have any choice when it came to her newer contracts.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #124
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-650, Asus TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
I'd love to know what changed her mind (surely her publishers would have to make her aware considering her attitude!)
As doreenjoy suggested, most likely releasing it as an ebook was written into the terms of the $5 million advance she received for her latest book.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #125
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
As doreenjoy suggested, most likely releasing it as an ebook was written into the terms of the $5 million advance she received for her latest book.
Morals, shmorals! $5 million in advance buys a lot of integrity.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:42 AM   #126
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hmm.... I would think that the ebook would re-inforce the experience of the p-book like the movie does......

But, whatever, it can be found elsewhere, so I have to wonder why not just go for the e-copy anyhow....
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #127
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Getting back to Bradbury:
From David Langfords excellent fanzine Ansible :

Ray Bradbury's interview in the summer Strand opened with a touch of Fahrenheit 451, or Fahrenheit Silicon: 'The Internet should be destroyed! I hate the Internet! I hate computers!' And, warming further to the computer theme: 'We should get rid of them, yeah!' [DL]

http://news.ansible.co.uk/a266.html
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #128
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What's funny is that Books On Board is now selling the Opus and the Sony 300. They had some blurb about actors using them and interviewed some actors.

They asked them what books they read (or would read I can't recall) on their reader. Laurie Laugnlin said how much she love TTW. Opps... but you can't get that as an ebook. Oppsss...

I'm not saying she did read it on an ebook, just saying that the unwashed masses expect they can get every book out there as an ebook when they get a new reader device, and are in for a rude awakening.

Authors with the attitude of ebooks aren't really books, or that they will just be stolen. Or, publishers that they will loose sales of HardCovers (where you know they make alot of money) are just giving the ebook industry a bad name and put a bad taste in many peoples mouths.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 09-02-2009 at 03:22 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #129
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What's funny is that Books On Board is not selling the Opus and the Sony 300. They had some blurb about actors using them and interviewed some actors.
I ordered an Opus there yesterday, they have the 300 too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #130
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I ordered an Opus there yesterday, they have the 300 too.
Sorry, typo... should have been "they are now selling".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #131
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Stolen British Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Yes, Journeyman was the show I was thinking of.

I find it quite funny about your thoughts on the remakes as I personally hate it all - Red Dwarf (failed after pilot), The Office (even if it is successfull in the US), Life on Mars (I am glad it was cancelled), Spaced (never seen any of the remakes, but if Simon Pegg disagrees then I am more than supportive), and so many others....

I am waiting for the reaction to a British version of Friends (although I would hate the idea just as much as a remake of any British shows).

Didn't know that The Prisoner was being remade...

Getting back on topic, I am appalled at the response from the author. It is extremely narrow minded not to branch out into other formats because of a personal preference... Also, all it does is promotes piracy - look at Harry Potter...

The VERY VERY worst American version of a British show had to be Coupling. I love the original (at least the first two series) but the version over here stank.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #132
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Ebooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What's funny is that Books On Board is now selling the Opus and the Sony 300. They had some blurb about actors using them and interviewed some actors.

They asked them what books they read (or would read I can't recall) on their reader. Laurie Laugnlin said how much she love TTW. Opps... but you can't get that as an ebook. Oppsss...

I'm not saying she did read it on an ebook, just saying that the unwashed masses expect they can get every book out there as an ebook when they get a new reader device, and are in for a rude awakening.

Authors with the attitude of ebooks aren't really books, or that they will just be stolen. Or, publishers that they will loose sales of HardCovers (where you know they make alot of money) are just giving the ebook industry a bad name and put a bad taste in many peoples mouths.

BOb

It was essentially this same attitute that ended up costing the music industry so much money and credibilty when the mp3 craze started. They could have embraced it and rode the wave all the way to the bank, but they fought against it and are now just a shadow of their former selves. At least the book industry as a whole seems to see the writing on the wall.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #133
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Considering when the Time Traveler's Wife was published, it is very likely that the publisher had no interest in ebooks. Now, most are, since it is another way to sell shit.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #134
aceflor
Constant Angel
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
The VERY VERY worst American version of a British show had to be Coupling. I love the original (at least the first two series) but the version over here stank.
Totally agree with u. Tried to tell my US friend how hilarious the original Coupling was, she thought I was crazy. Now I am trying to get it for her on DVD. She still thinks shag is a dance though....Sooo I might have to send her a translation for all those words.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #135
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
Loved the original, never saw the one made here, but can just imagine how bad it was.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote