Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle Unlimited borrow limit is now 20 titles

I am not sure how this will affect my borrowing patterns, but the limit was increased recently to 20 (from 10). I do share with some family members, but they don’t seem to be reading much (even though they are all retired and I’m not).

I can see this as useful if you are binge reading a series or two, you can borrow everything at once.

Also there are some books from major publishers/authors that Amazon rotates in and out; you’d be able to borrow them and not worry that they will go away before you have a chance to read them.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:43 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Twenty titles is great!

I may have to rejoin for 6 months for only $30
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:40 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I am not sure how this will affect my borrowing patterns, but the limit was increased recently to 20 (from 10). I do share with some family members, but they don’t seem to be reading much (even though they are all retired and I’m not).

You don't consider sharing your ebooks unethical. From Amazon:

Quote:
Adults are able to share free Prime Video, Amazon Music, and Twitch Prime with Teens in their Amazon Household. They can share eBooks, apps, and games with children.
Must be nice to have retired children.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:21 PM   #4
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I know, and I absolutely love the change
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
You don't consider sharing your ebooks unethical. From Amazon:

Must be nice to have retired children.
Brother, sister, and mother in this case. The Kindles are registered to my account. There is nothing unethical about this, one can register as many Kindles and Kindle apps to an account as you like. Should one of them decide to go on a buying binge, I would be responsible for their purchases.

The Family sharing feature is a way of linking two amazon accounts and being able to share content between those two as well as setting up Child accounts (up to 4 I think) on Kindle or Fire that are more restricted and controlled.

KU subscribed content (or Comixology Unlimited etc.) isn’t part of the family sharing.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:17 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Brother, sister, and mother in this case. The Kindles are registered to my account. There is nothing unethical about this, one can register as many Kindles and Kindle apps to an account as you like. Should one of them decide to go on a buying binge, I would be responsible for their purchases.
Looking at the Amazon Kindle Store terms of service:

Quote:
Unless specifically indicated otherwise, you may not sell, rent, lease, distribute, broadcast, sublicense, or otherwise assign any rights to the Kindle Content or any portion of it to any third party
In response to a query a couple of years back, it was made clear that allowing your family members to read content on your devices is not a permitted use as they do not have a license to read the content. OTOH, I suspect that Amazon is unlikely to go the effort of prosecuting since the cost and resulting bad publicity would be an issue.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:15 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking at the Amazon Kindle Store terms of service:

In response to a query a couple of years back, it was made clear that allowing your family members to read content on your devices is not a permitted use as they do not have a license to read the content. OTOH, I suspect that Amazon is unlikely to go the effort of prosecuting since the cost and resulting bad publicity would be an issue.
Duly noted, though few people are likely to read the TOS, much less arrive at that conclusion having done so.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:12 AM   #8
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
In response to a query a couple of years back, it was made clear that allowing your family members to read content on your devices is not a permitted use...
How do they handle the fact that my wife and I live in OUR house, order things using OUR Amazon Prime account, watch Prime videos on OUR TV streaming through OUR Roku, and read things on OUR Kindle? I do not own a Kindle individually. It it OURS - my wife and I. If we want to both use the Kindle by alternating who gets to use the thing at any given time, I don't plan to bend to any demands made by Amazon that we first have to assign ownership to one person and abide by Amazon rules that say the other person can't pick the think up and use it. I don't think even Amazon could be that ludicrous in their rules. The Kindle is community property, owned by the marriage partnership. We don't maintain his and hers libraries on the device. Is there anybody here who actually does that???
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:39 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
My husband and I share an Amazon account also. We always have. So one KU subscription covers us both. Amazon know it’s a shared account as our name on the account is both of us.

We both have kindles, in fact we have five kindles registered to our account. We name collections starting with our first names as we read totally different books,
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:31 AM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
We have several Kindles registered to the one account my husband and I both use. If I lend a Kindle to my elderly mom, and she reads a KU book I've borrowed, I don't think Amazon cares. It may be outside the "letter of the law" but not the "spirit of the law." Now handing spare Kindles out to several friends would be a different story, which I wouldn't do.

Back years ago when I was active on the old Amazon forums, spouses with separate accounts was fairly common. Amazon provided for those couples with the family share thing they did.

My husband and I have always used just one account for our Kindle books. It's never been a problem for us...he doesn't download most of my books, purchased or borrowed, and I usually don't read his choices. He has his own Amazon account, for some purchases, such as gifts he wants to keep secret. But there are no Kindle books on that account.

I never understood the whole "separate account stuff" for married couples. But then, we've been married 44+ years, and it has been a mostly single income life. It's not mine or his, it's ours. When we used paper books, they all sat together on the same shelves.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I was just curious about tomsem ethics. In another thread, he said it was unethical to strip DRM from library books (no exceptions), and yet tomsem has no problems sharing his unlimited books with multiple people?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:13 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Any Unlimited deals out there?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I was just curious about tomsem ethics. In another thread, he said it was unethical to strip DRM from library books (no exceptions), and yet tomsem has no problems sharing his unlimited books with multiple people?
I don't know...he's talking about 3-4 people, not 10. I don't see that as problematic. Books do have simultaneous device limits, 6 usually, which would prevent casual sharing. My Kindle borrows are usually on 2-3 devices, just for my use.

Back a few years ago, Kindle CS would walk users thru the "register shuffle", where you would de-register your Kindle device, and re-register it to another account, in order to download books from that account. That was before Family Sharing, that allowed accounts to be linked.

Now of course, Amazon content is removed when you de-register a Kindle. But back then, the e-ink devices kept their content when de-registered.

It's been a while since I read the current TOS. In the past, it's always been vague enough, to allow for somewhat broad interpretation.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:16 PM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Any Unlimited deals out there?
You always get a break if you pay ahead. You can get 12 months for $80.30, which would be $199.88 if paid by the month. That's a decent savings.

24 months is $143.80, instead of $239.76
Old 10-02-2021, 03:33 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
How do they handle the fact that my wife and I live in OUR house, order things using OUR Amazon Prime account, watch Prime videos on OUR TV streaming through OUR Roku, and read things on OUR Kindle? I do not own a Kindle individually. It it OURS - my wife and I. If we want to both use the Kindle by alternating who gets to use the thing at any given time, I don't plan to bend to any demands made by Amazon that we first have to assign ownership to one person and abide by Amazon rules that say the other person can't pick the think up and use it. I don't think even Amazon could be that ludicrous in their rules. The Kindle is community property, owned by the marriage partnership. We don't maintain his and hers libraries on the device. Is there anybody here who actually does that???
As you said, for those who live in areas where community property is recognized (all of Canada, a relatively small part of the USA), anything purchased during the marriage belongs to both parties equally. That is one of the reasons that I feel Amazon would not try to prevent such usage when the chances are very good that their EULA/ToS/whatever would not survive a court challenge.

My wife and I have separate libraries on our Kobos since our reading interests have a relatively small overlap. I do manage importing, conversion, editing, etc. since we also have different skill sets and she is more than willing to let me sweat over the keyboard.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote