Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Fictionwise vs the Kindle Store

I decided to do a little experiment to compare how Fictionwise pricing fares against the Kindle store. The Kindlenatics (Kindle fanatics) over here seems to think the Kindle is the king of reader devices and that if it's not the Kindle store, no other ebook store exists.

I took the titles of 17 novels I purchased recently from Fictionwise and compared them to the pricing in the Kindle store. Two titles were not available at the Kindle store, so I'm using $5.59 (the lowest price in the list of titles) as substitute.

Kindle store: $119.97 (list pricing used)
Fictionwise: $105.59 (list pricing used)

Very close to each other. Fictionwise has a slight edge due to the current sale so for all intents and purposes we can call it an even match at this stage.

When the magic of Micropay rebates come into place it is a whole different story. Taking the rebates and a bit of well planned buying into consideration I actually spend only $42.51 (actual money) for my purchases.

Kindle store: $119.97 = $7.05 avg per book.
Fictionwise: $42.51 = $2.50 avg per book.

From that we can see that Fictionwise can definitely hold its own against the likes of the Kindle store. What it loses in slightly higher pricing it more than makes up for in Micropay rebates.

The lesson learned is that you should shop around to find the best deals. Don't feel that you have to stay tied to online one provider - even if that means you need to learn to remove the DRM to make ebooks from other shops compatible with your Kindle.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I buy the vast majority of my ebooks from Fictionwise and do whatever I need to do to read them on my Kindle. I was buying from Fictionwise and eReader.com long before I ever heard of eInk.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I decided to do a little experiment to compare how Fictionwise pricing fares against the Kindle store. The Kindlenatics (Kindle fanatics) over here seems to think the Kindle is the king of reader devices and that if it's not the Kindle store, no other ebook store exists.

I took the titles of 17 novels I purchased recently from Fictionwise and compared them to the pricing in the Kindle store. Two titles were not available at the Kindle store, so I'm using $5.59 (the lowest price in the list of titles) as substitute.

Very close to each other. Fictionwise has a slight edge due to the current sale so for all intents and purposes we can call it an even match at this stage.

When the magic of Micropay rebates come into place it is a whole different story. Taking the rebates and a bit of well planned buying into consideration I actually spend only $42.51 (actual money) for my purchases.

Kindle store: $119.97 = $7.05 avg per book.
Fictionwise: $42.51 = $2.50 avg per book.

From that we can see that Fictionwise can definitely hold its own against the likes of the Kindle store. What it loses in slightly higher pricing it more than makes up for in Micropay rebates.

The lesson learned is that you should shop around to find the best deals. Don't feel that you have to stay tied to online one provider - even if that means you need to learn to remove the DRM to make ebooks from other shops compatible with your Kindle.
This is true when you can get MP rebates for books bought with MP cash, but not when you can only get (substantial) rebates when you buy using your CC. As it was, this xmas season was very nice, but before you could hardly do anything with MP, because you would always be paying the list price -5-10% max for the books you bought with the MP credit.
That said, this past Xmas was wonderful
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
This is true when you can get MP rebates for books bought with MP cash, but not when you can only get (substantial) rebates when you buy using your CC. As it was, this xmas season was very nice, but before you could hardly do anything with MP, because you would always be paying the list price -5-10% max for the books you bought with the MP credit.
That said, this past Xmas was wonderful
Good point. However you can always get a membership to get extra discounts and even if you don't get any rebates on your Micropay rebate the 100% rebate earnings should still drop the average price nicely. Even if you can only get 1-2 books for every 100% rebate book purchased it's still a good deal.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I had no idea the MP rebates were so large! Time to alter my purchasing habits, which are usually - browse Amazon, and buy from Amazon.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
I had no idea the MP rebates were so large! Time to alter my purchasing habits, which are usually - browse Amazon, and buy from Amazon.
Well, their Christmas specials were excellent this year. 40-60% rebate on all secure formats, and they have a 100% rebate on 650+ books.

When things return to normal I think a 35% rebate is the norm and each Monday they offer 4 100% rebate titles if you pay via CC.

If you want to cash in on the current specials you need to do so before the end of tomorrow. They are ending fast.... and don't forget to use the 25% discount coupon as well!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
The Kindlenatics (Kindle fanatics) over here seems to think the Kindle is the king of reader devices and that if it's not the Kindle store, no other ebook store exists.

I am a Kindle fanatic however, I don't feel as though Amazon has a lock on where I purchase content for my Kindle. When I first received my Kindle I did, however, after finding Mobile Read I realized there were varied places I could go and find material for my Kindle (which I feed regularly). I am an avid purchaser of Fictionwise e-books. Half of what I have purchased for my Kindle has come from Fictionwise. I have even learned some tricks for the DRM problem from this board which really opens up things for me.

I laugh quite a bit when I think about where I was early on in my Kindle days contrasted to where I am now. HINT: Didn't know a thing about Python until coming on this board. So in essence I agree with what you say about NOT being locked in, however, I don't think most people who own the Kindle will go to the lengths of doing certain things that allow the Kindle more flexibility.

Perfect example: I use my Kindle to get library books. After the period expiration - the book goes poof and that is dollars I have not spent. Does it involve some extra steps - YES, are they steps I am willing to take to expand my Kindle's capability - YES, would most Kindlers do this? NO. I am not locked into Amazon and I plan on keeping it that way. Just my 2 cents!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

Would you care to share the titles of the books you used for your sampling?

Edit: BTW, I find it's the non-Kindle owners who talk about the Kindle being locked-in. I've even addressed this issue in the Kindly Myths and Partial Truth wiki. I don't go into detail or DRMing but do talk about alternative sources for content.

Last edited by daffy4u; 12-30-2009 at 06:18 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:26 AM   #9
Crusader
Space Cadet

I'll be glad to share the titles when I'm back at my PC tonight. I think I also spotted a mistake in my FW pricing. I used the prices in my order confirmations and most of those included the 25% off coupon as well. Of course it's still a good example of the savings to be had, but I'll redo the total and post that as well.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
Crusader
Space Cadet

I made a mistake in my initial figures since I used a 25% off coupon as well.

Without the coupon the totals are:
Kindle store: $119.97
Fictionwise: $135.24

So without the coupon the edge goes to the Kindle store when not taking Micropay into account.

When Micropay is taken into account excluding the coupon the totals are:

Kindle store: $119.97
Fictionwise: $51.10

So in this case Fictionwise still comes out at the top clocking in at half the Kindle price.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:46 AM   #11
myral
Enthusiast
myral began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PocketBook 360, Kindle 2, CyBook gen 3
I used to buy all my books from Fictionwise. I even have a long-time membership in the buywise club. Ever since geographic restrictions started, though, I've been unable to buy most of the books I'm interested in. I know there are ways to get around this, but after I was required to register a US credit card in order to download a book I purchased, I decided that it just wasn't worth it. I prefer to buy from publishers/stores that are prepared to accept my business - and strangely enough, about 60 percent of geo-restricted e-books are available to EU customers on Amazon but not on Fictionwise.
As for python, not everybody wants to go through with all the hassle, especially if they are like me, ignorant about computers, and just want to get down to reading.
myral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
stewball
Enthusiast
stewball has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500
I go for the bottom line - Price. FW's books are almost always over-priced compared to Amazon, Sony, and BarnesandNoble. I won't get into DRM either, but I like the freedom to buy the cheapest book and read it on my Sony reader, or use Stanza and Calibre to get the book onto my iPhone.

I know FW gives discounts, but a lot of their new releases are full price (i.e. $25.00) when Amazon, Sony, and Barnes usually sell all theirs for around $10. Even at 100% Micro-Pay rebates, which is rare for the good books, they eventually get you with the higher prices. The same goes for Ereader.com and ebooks.com.

Right now look at FW's website.
Stephen King - Under the Dome - $35.00, Rebate - $21.00, Price after Rebate - $14.00
(Amazon and Sony have it for $10)

Matthew Reilly - The Five Greatest Warriors - $21.25, Rebate 12.75, Cost - $8.50
(Amazon $9.99) FW has the cheapest price if you want a credit, but I prefer to pay less at checkout time.

I buy from them all (Waterstones, WHSmith Ebooks, BoB, FW, Amazon, Sony, Barnes, ereader, ebooks) looking for the lowest prices.

Stew

Last edited by stewball; 12-31-2009 at 08:30 AM.
stewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewball View Post
I go for the bottom line - Price. FW's books are almost always over-priced compared to Amazon, Sony, and BarnesandNoble.
I agree than in the US the four stores you mention are typically the low price leaders. FictionWise's discount system is designed to keep customers loyal, and it often has higher prices if you happen to come across an existing ebook you want. It has low prices immediately after an ebook is first released and then again when it has a major sale. Also, if you get lots of micropay dollars these are best spent on multiformat ebooks or on non-discounted secure ebooks. FictionWise now sells ePub, and it is the only store that has demonstrated long term commitment to its customers. On the other hand, B&N could now close it down tomorrow if they decided it was not in their interest.

If you want to buy from one store in the US, then the Kindle Store is the best overall (but watch out for TOPAZ unless you only read using Kindle devices and apps). If you strip DRM, then buying from all four stores isn't that hard. An intermediate approach might to be pick two stores, and for me these have been the Kindle Store and FictionWise. However, the Sony Store and B&N are relatively new alternatives, with the Sony Store in particular carrying a nice range of ebooks at a good price.

The major looser seems to be Books on Board. This is a good independent store that pioneered the ePub catalogue. I just don't see how they can compete on price now that everyone has ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
I'm definitely price driven and will spend a couple of extra minutes if it will save me a couple of bucks.
Is there a meta search site (like pricegrabber) that can be used to identify the cheapest ebook price - and that takes into account things like the micropay discounts?

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you want to buy from one store in the US, then the Kindle Store is the best overall (but watch out for TOPAZ unless you only read using Kindle devices and apps). If you strip DRM, then buying from all four stores isn't that hard. An intermediate approach might to be pick two stores, and for me these have been the Kindle Store and FictionWise. However, the Sony Store and B&N are relatively new alternatives, with the Sony Store in particular carrying a nice range of ebooks at a good price.
The problem is that the Kindle store is not really open to those of us who don't own a Kindle. Sure you can use Kindle for PC and go through the meriad additional steps to get the file readable on your device.

Amazon also seem to have much harsher geo-restrictions that makes workarounds a bit of a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
I'm definitely price driven and will spend a couple of extra minutes if it will save me a couple of bucks.
Is there a meta search site (like pricegrabber) that can be used to identify the cheapest ebook price - and that takes into account things like the micropay discounts?
www.inkmesh is a good one. However none that I know of will be able to take Micropay into account. They all just show the listing price of the ebook in question.