Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie
Giuseppe Chillem doesn't litterGiuseppe Chillem doesn't litter

Device: IREX DR1000
Where are modified tags stored

Just a question: where are modified tags stored ? Are they stored in the original file or inside the DB ?

Giuseppe Chillemi
Giuseppe Chillem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Chillem View Post
Just a question: where are modified tags stored ? Are they stored in the original file or inside the DB ?
Tags are always stored in the database (metadata.db). They are also stored in the opf file that calibre exports with saved files, if you have that option turned on. They may be stored in the ebook, depending on ebook format and the options you set.

I'm not sure what a "modified tag" is. As far as calibre is concerned, tags are stored as a comma separated string of individual tags.

Last edited by Starson17; 05-17-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie

It is important for me to know if the files are physically modified.
I want to check other import with the duplicate finder I always use.

Giuseppe Chillemi
Old 05-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
I want to check other import with the duplicate finder I always use.

Giuseppe Chillemi
It would be easier to answer if you said what you wanted to do. Yes, files are sometimes physically modified. No, they are not always physically modified. It depends on what process you are asking about (Save? Send to Disk? Add to Calibre?), what file format you are asking about (.txt files?), which bit of metadata you are changing (tags only?) and how your Calibre options are set. Why don't you describe what you want to do a bit more.

Perhaps it would be easiest to just test and see if it's modified under the conditions of interest?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
It would be easier to answer if you said what you wanted to do.
Now you're asking too much.

Karma to you for always lending a helping hand.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Karma to you for always lending a helping hand.
I'm actually a curmudgeonly SOB who just likes to act the part of Mr. know-it-all. Any assistance provided is merely a byproduct of my innate evil nature.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Any assistance provided is merely a byproduct of my innate evil nature.
Does *that* explain your obscure reference to welding oxygen and goldfish?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One you may not expect: reading epubs, and perhaps other formats, with the calibre viewer changes the file. The reason is that bookmarks are stored in it.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
One you may not expect: reading epubs, and perhaps other formats, with the calibre viewer changes the file. The reason is that bookmarks are stored in it.
That's only epubs
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Does *that* explain your obscure reference to welding oxygen and goldfish?
No. That is explained by my choice of the better half.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie

I am in the process of importing ebooks into calibre.
Ebooks are PDF and LIT.
After importing the files I modify the tittle and/or author inside the calibre GUI.

I whish to know if at this point the Metadata of the physical files are modified too since I want to check the stored files against new imports.

As I have already writte I use a program called CSPY (clone spy) to check if there are physical duplicates. If editing the tags change the pshysical files too I have to use another approach.

Giuseppe Chillemi
Old 05-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I know of no situation where changing metadata in the main library will cause one of the book formats to change.

That being said, I agree with starson17. You should test to be sure that your use case behaves in the way that you expect.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
After importing the files I modify the tittle and/or author inside the calibre GUI.

I whish to know if at this point the Metadata of the physical files are modified too since I want to check the stored files against new imports.
As far as I know, changing metadata after the book is imported will not affect the metadata in the file. It is not updated in the file until it is exported to Device or Disk, and it may not be updated then, depending on option settings. Of course, I could be wrong, so I would check it, and that should be pretty easy.

Quote:
As I have already writte I use a program called CSPY (clone spy) to check if there are physical duplicates.
I'm sorry, I don't see where you wrote that.