Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
srid
srid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Post Which one to choose? Amazon or Adobe DRM?

I sent the following to my friend - who is interested in ebook related developments/technologies - to hear his views. The underlying question is basically -- which store/format should I invest on when buying ebooks ... keeping in mind that I need to be able to read those books for a long time with reasonable amount of freedom (PC, ereader, mobile phones).

---

I started reevaluating my preference for "open formats". Is
ePub-with-DRM better to invest than Kindle's format?

I am concluding that it is not.

- ePub-with-DRM is still locked content. It is encrypted; and thus not
open. Requires authorization of Adobe Digital Editions to open/read
the book on supported devices.

- ePub is open format; anyone can create content in it. But .mobi/.azw
is also equally supported by publishers like feedbooks.com, OReilly
books. So there is not much advantage with ePub format as an user (not
developer).

- Existing ePubs can be converted to .mobi using software like Calibre.

- My books will be stored on the "cloud" if I buy them through Amazon.
Sony bookstore is unreliable (It is unclear if Kobo store will ever
match Amazon in terms books coverage). Their desktop app sucks, and
they don't seem to be interested in expanding it to
Android/iPhone/iPad apps. I trust Amazon, a big software company, more
than Sony to come up with good products across various platforms and
they are already doing it. Further to the point, there is the
"popularity" factor.

- Yes, the books I buy will be locked in with Amazon. But this doesn't
concern me as an *user* ... much like it didn't concern the PC users
back on those days. Moreover, all I ever want to do with the ebooks I
buy is to be able to read them. Amazon also provides note taking,
highlighting, dictionary feature. So what is there to complain?

Your thoughts? I just want to hear your views before I finally decide
to order a Kindle 2 (and return Kobo) myself. :-)
srid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I love the Kindle. I think it's a fantastic reader. I owned the original Sony PRS-500 before the original Kindle and then finally purchased the Kindle 2 once I decided Amazon really knows what they're doing. I think Amazon has the best device and I believe that's the most important thing to consider when buying an e-book reader. I recommend that you learn how to crack DRM so you never have to put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. Knowing you have the option to shop around for books in places other than Amazon can really give a person ease of mind. It may be that you occasionally find an e-book priced lower in a different store (it's rare for someone to undercut Amazon on prices in e-books but it happens) or it could be that you find a book offered in the Topaz format from Amazon and ePub from somewhere else (like the Sony Store). I have had this happen, by the way. If you can avoid Topaz, I highly recommend it. I think someone finally figured out how to crack the DRM when using Kindle for PC but I still think it's a terrible format. Knowing how to remove DRM form multiple formats liberates you from the e-book store and allows you to enjoy any device you want. If you don't like the Kobo reader and think that the Kindle would serve you better, go for a Kindle. If you want e-books from somewhere else, at least it will motivate you to learn how to strip DRM. If, on the other hand, you really love the Kobo hardware and are just concerned with the lifespan of your e-books, keep your reader and just learn to strip DRM. It will benefit you in the longterm. You won't ever have to worry about which store or format to invest in again.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
My take on this non-issue is: I won't buy any ebook I cant de-DRM. Doesn't mean I'm doing it; so far I've had no need. But I want that option. I'll not be a lock-in slave to any DRM scheme. Lock-in to Adobe (or Apple) is no different than Lock-in to Amazon. I'll not surrender my future buying choices to anybody.

I also backup every ebook I buy (the DRM-free majority as well as the handful of DRM'ed ones), assuming that at some point redownload will go away. Just a precaution.

The real question about DRM flavors isn't about DRM at all, but rather which bookstore(s) will you be buying your books from. If you find Amazon's catalog and storefront compelling you'll be buying from them and loving it. If it isn't, you're stuck with the Adobe backed camp; lots of choices, all offering essentially the same catalog at the same prices.

And, of course, the either/or choice only applies if you're not deDRM-armed.
Having DRM-stripping as an option breaks the choice back to more reasonable terms: is it a good book? Is the price fair? Does it fit my budget?
You won't care what format it comes in or which store sells it.
It is a liberating tool to have even if you don't use it.

Worth looking into, folks.
Just as a precaution.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-04-2010 at 08:52 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
I say go with the Kindle.

The thing most attractive to me about Amazon is that I have so many ways to read my Kindle books; on my mac, or a pc, Ipod, ipodtouch, blackberry, ipad...

I'm not half as worried about the format my books are in because Amazon to me has lots of books that I want to read. And since I can read it on several devices, that that's perfect!

If the time comes that I ever want to switch e-readers (and I can't see that atm, I'm perfectly happy with my kindle and only something major that the Kindle would lack would take it from me) I'll liberate my books. Simple.

Also, if you decide to go with adobe/encrypted ebooks... that another third party to deal with. I see the use in it, with so many publishers having taken it on, but it's another group to deal with if you can't access your books, or have a problem with your credit card number, or whatever. I think that's a benefit of Amazon having no real part with them; if you have an issue with your kindle book, you go to Amazon, you don't get somewhere else.

Last edited by Anarel; 05-04-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: More info added.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
My take on this non-issue is: I won't buy any ebook I cant de-DRM.
ditto !
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
My take on this non-issue is: I won't buy any ebook I cant de-DRM.
Yes, but for quite a few of us the issue isn't only about the books that are paid for. There is lending from public libraries, access to occasional freebie...
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
ttluisa
Enthusiast
ttluisa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
I wish I had bought the kindle. I just got my Kobo a few days ago and it works with ADE. While ADE is not bad, I like kindle much much better(I have the kindle for PC in my laptop). Compare to ADE, kindle software is more intuitive. The format issue is concerned by most people but as about the freebies, public domain books offered by many sites can be downloaded in DRM free mobi or prc format which both are supported by kindle, all the free books I found on smashwords are DRM free and supported by kindle, and talking about free books, I really don't think there is any ebook seller carries more free books than amazon because amazon has promotional prices(free) on many new books, almost all the other ebook sellers don't do that. I understand many people think open format is such an advantage but honestly how many of those open format ebook sellers sell ebooks with prices lower than amazon's?? How many of then carries books which you can't find on amazon and you absolutely need to buy? My kobo is nice and I like it, but if I had dug more before buying it, I would have went for kindle. BTW I've already started saving for my next ebook reader, which would be kindle for sure!
ttluisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
srid
srid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
ttluisa - you can return the Kobo even now, not? That's what I am doing tomorrow .. and I already bought the Kindle. If you are using Kobo - and buying books from Kobo & Sony store, then if you buy say Kindle next year .. you'd have to go through the pain of removing DRM on all those epubs you bought plus converting them to .mobi.

This is why I made a quick decision now regarding "the" ereader I would use. I am happy to invest Kindle ebooks. I am not fanatic about "open" formats .. much like those Linux/GNU fans stayed away from Microsoft products.

Now that Google is coming up with their own ebook solution .. you may have to wait for a couple of months though.
srid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
ttluisa
Enthusiast
ttluisa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
Thanks for concern srid, but I'm gonna keep my kobo. I live in new york and I pre-ordered the kobo reader from Canada, now returning would be a hassle. Maybe I'll pass it to my step-dad, soon he will be retired and I'm sure he could use a bit entertainment.
ttluisa is offline   Reply With Quote