Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Will the new iOS7 make a difference in reading ebooks on Apple Devices?

Over on CNET today, I see headlines:

"Apple's iOS 7 is almost unrecognizable"

"Get all the details about the new mobile OS
-- a beta of which is going out today. iOS 7
is "the biggest change to iOS since the
iPhone," Apple's CEO says"

How will the mobileread ebook readers be affected?

Do we care?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I can't stand the new look of iOS 7, however, I'd have to really wait and see how apps look to really make a decision. Sadly, won't be able to do that until the iPad iOS 7 preview comes out.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I doubt the new GUI will affect apps like iBooks that run in full screen w/o much, if any, of the GUI visible. That doesn't mean that iBooks won't have a make-over done to it, but barring a rewrite of the app it should look much the same in iOS7 and iOS6.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Havent looked at iBooks yet, but news from the front: Stanza STILL works with the same broken bits as it had in iOS6.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
mattcurtis
Book Lover, Dev of Hyphen
mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone (Hyphen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Havent looked at iBooks yet, but news from the front: Stanza STILL works with the same broken bits as it had in iOS6.
That's kind of sad. Which is why I'm building my own iOS eReader.

With regards to iOS7 and ereading, I guess Apple will probably a few new "twists" to iBooks, I doubt they'll do anything revolutionary (see what I did there?)

As for third-party apps, I don't think so. I mean, they might change design, but other than that, I doubt it'll make people say "must develop reading apps", unless Apple pushes that. Hopefully though, it encourages a lot of the developers of eBook apps to give their designs more attention - a lot of them are horrid.
mattcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcurtis View Post
That's kind of sad. Which is why I'm building my own iOS eReader.

With regards to iOS7 and ereading, I guess Apple will probably a few new "twists" to iBooks, I doubt they'll do anything revolutionary (see what I did there?)

As for third-party apps, I don't think so. I mean, they might change design, but other than that, I doubt it'll make people say "must develop reading apps", unless Apple pushes that. Hopefully though, it encourages a lot of the developers of eBook apps to give their designs more attention - a lot of them are horrid.
I think the worst eBook reading apps are the ones from the bookstore owners--Kindle, iBooks, Nook, Sony, etc. These tend to have the fewest formatting options.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, i wish i had the ipad ios7 but i dont. and ibooks on iphone looks and behaves the same. colour me disappointed.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I guess it hasn't taken effect yet.

Will be interesting.

Someone, knowledgeable, said the new iOS7 wouldn't run on 512KB Ram.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I guess it hasn't taken effect yet.

Will be interesting.

Someone, knowledgeable, said the new iOS7 wouldn't run on 512KB Ram.
People are reporting that it's laggy on the iPhone 4 and 4S, but it's still early days.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard

I have a 4S and it doesn't lag. Maybe they are using high demand gfx games, the ones speaking of lag.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
I will check my 3.5 inch iPod Touch.

if it will upgrade or not?????
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I can't stand the new look of iOS 7, however, I'd have to really wait and see how apps look to really make a decision. Sadly, won't be able to do that until the iPad iOS 7 preview comes out.
You cannot load beta 1 to check it out?
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Well, i wish i had the ipad ios7 but i dont. and ibooks on iphone looks and behaves the same. colour me disappointed.
None of the non-stock Apple apps (such a trailers, ibooks, Apple store, etc.) have been updated yet because iOS 7 hasn't been released. Given that they removed things like wooden shelving from the OS X version of iBooks and that they purged the new iOS of almost all skeuomorphic elements, I'd be very surprised if iBooks doesn't get a refresh in the fall.

Last edited by holymadness; 06-12-2013 at 11:47 AM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

The OP's question was whether reading eBooks would be impacted by the new iOS7 GUI. Look at the two sample screen captures of iBooks running on my iPhone 5 in iOS6 and you can easily see that very little to no GUI is visible while actually reading in iBooks. Most other reading apps are similar in that they show little or no GUI elements while reading. So the impact to reading should be a non-issue.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.png
Views:	234
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	106908   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.png
Views:	251
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	106909  
Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
Naloomi
Building Better Worlds
Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.

Device: PRS-600, 3G Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6+, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
What's broken in Stanza on iOS 6? It runs fine for me as a reader. Let's me download books from box.com. Please share what is broken.

Chris
Aka naloomi
Naloomi is offline   Reply With Quote