Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
loulou91
loulou91 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
problem with several lib on a USB key

Hello all,

I want to manage several libraries (e.g. 2) on on my USB key using portable Calibre (last version 0.8.45).
Instead of using "Calibre library" default name, I created two libraries with specific names. After creation, I was able to use one or the other and to easely switch from one to the other.

The problem is when I move my key to an other computer. If the local disk letter is different then the "absolute paths" which are used by Calibre to target the specif libraries are no more valid.

My question is: is there a possibility to use relative paths to manage specific libraries located "near" Calibre library?

Hope it's clear and thanks in advance,

Loulou
loulou91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou91 View Post
Hello all,

I want to manage several libraries (e.g. 2) on on my USB key using portable Calibre (last version 0.8.45).
Instead of using "Calibre library" default name, I created two libraries with specific names. After creation, I was able to use one or the other and to easely switch from one to the other.

The problem is when I move my key to an other computer. If the local disk letter is different then the "absolute paths" which are used by Calibre to target the specif libraries are no more valid.

My question is: is there a possibility to use relative paths to manage specific libraries located "near" Calibre library?

Hope it's clear and thanks in advance,

Loulou
Calibre Portable is your Solution
It is kept on the 'key' along with the books and only allows the library to be on the same key.

Now there is another way if the computers are Yours to make changes.

1) 'Label' the drives: My blue key is named: "Blue' (I like to K.I.S.S. ), My Yellow key: 'Yellow' ... (labeling can be done via the Properties of the Drive in 'My Computer' )

the second step is the important one

2) Reserve a HIGHER , single drive letter for the key.

If only one key will be present at a time, use the SAME letter for all.

With ONE key plugged in and appearing normally in explorer:

Right click 'My Computer: select Manage:
In the 'Computer Management' window, expand 'Storage' if needed: Select Disk management:
You should see a list of drives: find the current letter assigned to your key:
Light-click on the drive in the lower list: Change drive letter.
Pick somewhere in the middle of the alphabet as 'Z' downwards' is used by corporate networks, Local drive are assigned 'A' upwards. The middle leaves both normally available (USB Card readers can grab 3 to 5 drive letters, some reader grab 3 drive letters), when connected. leave room on the low side.

Now, every time you plug that Drive in, it will 'skip letters' and get the same letter (if not in use)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@TheDucks: the OP is trying to put TWO libraries on the one key using Portable....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@TheDucks: the OP is trying to put TWO libraries on the one key using Portable....

@OP
You can't do that with Portable.
The whole purpose of 'Portable' was to get around the drive letter thing on public or locked down computers.

Get another USB pen drive or combine the libraries (with a tag to allow easy filtering).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote