Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
??Optimizing Storage Management on the PE

I have read about the different pieces of memory built into the PE, and the memory that can be added via the slots for an external sdcard and/or external USB drive.

The manufacturer set up the internal storage - a 4 gig chip, so that it actually is in two logical pieces.

Because of restrictions on where different sorts of files can be placed in the default state set up by the manufacturer, there are what many feel are an inadequate amount of storage capacity for applications.

If one uses the default mechanism to move contents to an external sdcard, 3 gig of the internal 4 gigs can no longer be used.

**I find the terminology used for the different pieces of storage rather bizarre.
There are separate folders for extsdcard, intsdcard, intstorage and sdcard.

This has been motivated people to find ways to alter the storage arrangements.

One way has been to use a program Link2apps to shift apps to an external sdcard (after it has been formatted to have 2 partitions). (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=kennyminot)

**This also involves some confusing terminology; if I understand it correctly, after this mod, the extsdcard refers to internal memory storage and the dual partitioned external sdcard is referred to as ?? (I forget for the moment).

Another way has been to use the golden Allmine upgrade, which increases the usable space for app storage on the internal 4 gig chip from 322 mb to more than 2 gigs (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159872).

I believe, but am not sure that the two approaches can BOTH be used.

I haven't seen a comparison of the results of taking a default PE and with the same external sd card and applying first one, then the other as single modifications and then doing both.

I am raising this question, because I think there are others who might want to improve/optimize there storage capacity, but are too confused about the choices to do so. AND, because both of these mods represent significant/major improvements over the default setup.

(I haven't included the issue of uninstalling undesired/unused apps, since this involves different and unrelated techniques.)

Steve

Last edited by stevesr0; 12-30-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: add thread number
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
the pablob approach with a 32gb external sd is doing me fine.
i also have another 16 gb with my library, i keep changing the cards.
my wife is fine with the browsing on the sd card and only adding 2-3 books she reads at a time in the library. my filing system is better and self explanatory.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
I also use dropbox as repository for my books, this way are shared between android devices, edge, nooks.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote