Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
dee_can
Enthusiast
dee_can began at the beginning.

Device: kobo original, kobo touch, kobo vox, ipod touch
Antivirus Program for Vox

Which antivirus program do most of you use for your Vox? Is AVG sufficient, or is there another program more recommended? Thanks.
dee_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I think Lookout is the most popular but to be honest, I don't use one on my vox. If you do your due diligence and only download popular apps from reputable sources (another reason why setting up market is a good idea), I'm not convinced there is much to worry about.

[edit]: I always cringe when I see the advice to "google for an apk". I bet this is the most likely source of android malware, popular apks that have been injected with malicious code.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Seriously, how common are viruses for Android compared to the PC, or even Mac? What's the likelihood of getting a virus?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Certainly less common than pc (no idea about mac) but there have been numerous articles in the media lately that android is increasingly being targeted by criminals:

http://news.cnet.com/1770-5_3-0.html...earchtype=news
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
dee_can
Enthusiast

This is my first experience with an android device, so I wasn't sure whether I needed an antivirus. I've only downloaded a few apps just yesterday from the goodereader link that was posted a few days ago on this forum. One of them being AVG for android, but I haven't installed it because I wasn't sure if I need it or not.

I won't download from googled links, or from somewhere I'm not sure about, though. Thanks.
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
dee_can
Enthusiast

Hmm, no sooner did I reply and my antivirus program on my computer notified me of a malware threat and put it in my virus vault. This was while I was browsing the internet. I also went to empty the virus vault, and saw that there was a virus, too, that was sent to the vv on Jan 13. So... couldn't this happen while browsing the internet with the Vox? Or is android different somehow?

edit - btw, the malware wasn't picked up on this site - thought I should mention that.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
A virus has to be written for the operating system being used. Viruses for Microsoft have been around for 30-odd years at least. The people who create them compete with each other for maximum impact, so less popular operating systems have had fewer attacks. Used to be that Mac was exempt because it wasn't very popular, but that has changed. Now that the hordes have embraced smartphones, I have no doubt that the malware writers will eventually focus on Android. Once I see reports of attacks, I'll look for protection. I'm guessing the method of attack might be free apps that sound too good to be true, or free versions of apps you would expect to pay for.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Looking at the permissions is a valuable clue as to how safe an application is. For example, a calculator or sudoku game that requires full internet access should raise some red flags. (I was shocked at how many sudoku games required full internet access and reading the phone's state/identity.)
Old 01-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
dee_can
Enthusiast

I understand now - thank you both for the explanations.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
bitterbug
bitterbug began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 / Kobo Vox
From what I understand on the phone permissions, apps or games that look for phone state allow calls to come in or go out without issue. Whereas those that do not fail to handle it gracefully.
But I read that on the internet So what do I know
bitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote