Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
The excitement is starting to wear off. As nice as the experience appears (esp. the browser) and even though I buy most of my media at Amazon....

This appears to be a seriously locked down, controlled experience, forcing you to their media and cloud. This is not a typical Android environment in many ways. They're doing their own thing.
  1. No Google Market.
    • No Google TV integration?
    • What other Google apps would I miss?
  2. Amazon Appstore.
    • What’s in it? Not everything in the GM.
    • Can I load apps from a random web page?
    • Can I side-load apps?
  3. Amazon only media?
    • Can I side-load books, other media? Must have Calibre support!
  4. Hackable? They've got a carefully crafted experience and they're selling at a loss. I expect this to be locked down hard.
  5. Rumored to be on an old version of Android and not planning to keep up with the Android changes.
    • Not as customizable, stuck with their UI. (This could be good. You can spend more time tweaking the UI than using an Android tablet.)
  6. “Free cloud storage for all Amazon content.”
    • What about the Amazon MP3s I bought years ago?
    • Will my other devices get to access it (free)?
    • How much to store my non-Amazon MP3s, my photos & my videos?
    • As cool as not needing a PC is, I don't need recurring storage fees.
  7. No GPS, cameras, 3G, memory slot.
  8. Privacy issues with your browser half in the cloud.
  9. Something better coming in Q1?
  10. Only 8GB of memory, forcing you into their cloud.
  11. No Dropbox. That's a competing service, too.

I'll probably wait to see if there are work-arounds for some of these issues. OTOH, $200 is cheap.

Last edited by tlc; 09-28-2011 at 03:55 PM.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'm really hoping the Kindle reader on the fire is different from the app that I have on my phone. It's needs improvement. A better font for one and ability to change the background color to more then just white, sepia and black. I need a grey background to read on or I get eye strain.
I'm totally with you on that. The Kindle app is lackluster compared to the B&N NOOK app. Some control over line spacing and margins is way past due. They recently re-did the home screen and it looks awful. Almost like a school programming project that scored very low on visual appeal.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

One thing I do like about the Kindle app is the two-page landscape view. So I'm really hoping they have that on the Fire. I was so disappointed that the stock app on the NookColor didn't have landscape reading at all! The 7" widescreen is a good size for supporting the two-page landscape view.

I agree the Kindle for Android app needs a lot of improving. I would like to see more fonts and formatting options. Amazon obviously created a hybrid OS, so let's hope they spent some time updating the Kindle app to look good on the Fire.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
One thing I do like about the Kindle app is the two-page landscape view. So I'm really hoping they have that on the Fire. I was so disappointed that the stock app on the NookColor didn't have landscape reading at all! The 7" widescreen is a good size for supporting the two-page landscape view.

I agree the Kindle for Android app needs a lot of improving. I would like to see more fonts and formatting options. Amazon obviously created a hybrid OS, so let's hope they spent some time updating the Kindle app to look good on the Fire.
Welcome back to North Texas.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Amazon obviously created a hybrid OS
What do you mean by "a hybrid OS"? The Fire runs Android. The fact that it has a custom shell doesn't change that. It's still Android.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
This appears to be a seriously locked down, controlled experience, forcing you to their media and cloud...
Duh!!! Are you really surprised by this? It's a $200 device with a premium display.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What do you mean by "a hybrid OS"? The Fire runs Android. The fact that it has a custom shell doesn't change that. It's still Android.
Okay, a hybrid shell and interface. Point is if they can do that I assume they can develop a custom Kindle app for it, and I hope they did spiff up their standard K4A app.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Duh!!! Are you really surprised by this? It's a $200 device with a premium display.
Yep, I think folks who want a cheap, hackable Android device might be disappointed in the Fire. But I think as a reader and media viewer it is a good deal. If I were Amazon and I was selling these Fires so cheaply, I would want to make up for that with lots of media sales! That just makes good business sense. We get a great deal on a reader, they get richer.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Welcome back to North Texas.
Good eyes for detail Scion! Now if we can just get a couple of feet of rain to keep the fires away, otherwise it is back to Hell!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #25
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
I would love to order kindle fire but the won't sell them to Canada
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #26
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran006 View Post
I would love to order kindle fire but the won't sell them to Canada
That does seem strange, but I don't know anything about international commerce. Perhaps it takes a while to get new devices approved in each country. I know that all the new Kindles and the Fire had to be approved in the USA by our FCC because they have WiFi (and for Touch only, 3G) radios. Perhaps they are just awaiting approval. I hope you get them soon.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That does seem strange, but I don't know anything about international commerce. Perhaps it takes a while to get new devices approved in each country. I know that all the new Kindles and the Fire had to be approved in the USA by our FCC because they have WiFi (and for Touch only, 3G) radios. Perhaps they are just awaiting approval. I hope you get them soon.
I very much doubt that the Fire will be sold outside the US any time soon. It's primarily being sold as a content streaming device, and Amazon's video services are currently US-only.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Can I side-load books, other media? Must have Calibre support!

[What about the Amazon MP3s I bought years ago?
Will my other devices get to access it (free)?

If you load your previous Amazon Mp3s to your Cloud player it doesn't count toward space and the cloud will recognize it as a purchase as long as the mp3 hasn't been edited in anyway.
I currently have for the rest of my plan unlimited space on any music I upload. It's a promo I don't know if its still going but it was like buy a mp3 album and get a free year of 20GB of Cloud space then out of the blue they made it unlimited. Purchase music will never count toward your storage quota.

Amazon MP3 Cloud player works on any Andriod Device. I use it on my phone.

You can Side load books. It says the KF supports the same formats as the Kindle like Mobi, Prc, PDF...etc

As for Dropbox I don't see why you couldn't use the browser to access it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #29
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
Quote:
No, I'm surprised that nobody seems to care about being walled in.

tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I'm totally with you on that. The Kindle app is lackluster compared to the B&N NOOK app. Some control over line spacing and margins is way past due. They recently re-did the home screen and it looks awful. Almost like a school programming project that scored very low on visual appeal.
I stopped using it. I use Mantano or CoolReader now. It uses epub but looks much nicer then the Kindle app.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote