Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
tigeraid
tigeraid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Serious firmware or database failure in Kobo Wireless - help!

Hey guys, I've perused around the forum but mostly I've just found tricks I've tried before, so I'll try and run this down quickly.

I have a wireless Kobo, currently using v1.9 of the software (Mar 29, 2011), revision 58.

Things were fine for months, adding/removing books using calibre, reading several books. Weird things started to happen when I started a particular book, though... First, whenever I powered it off, and then back on, it would always return to the same page, as opposed to where I stopped reading. Even when I was completely done the book, it would still only show 10% read in the menu. Then when I moved onto the next book, it wouldn't save a page at ALL, even when powering it off in the middle of the book... It would return me to the main book list and that particular book showed as "unread."

I figured I had a couple of corrupt books (library downloads), so I decided to use calibre to remove the books on the kobo, and then I transferred a bunch back over, including some new ones.

Lo and behold, not only did the ones I "removed" reappear when I turned the kobo back on, but none of the new books appeared!

At this point I was growing frantic, so I went through all the usual syncing, which did nothing... Then I searched on some forums, found all the "master reset" suggestions, both with the pinhole button and without, and none of them have worked.

I even tried to copy the database file and use sqlite to build a fresh one, but sqlite kept giving me errors about particular lines in the database "cannot be NULL."

I'm just about out of options here--help?

Is there another way to replace/upgrade/re-create the database on this thing?
tigeraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There is a stickied post that has instructions for downloading a new "blank" database and a link to it. If the link is NOT valid let me know and I will get it to you.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
tigeraid

okay, I see that... How do I know which firmware version I have/need, 1.8 or 1.4?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo wifi go to settings menu overview. Under device info is software version. I'm using version 1.9
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
tigeraid

So I should be using the 1.8 firmware? Is there not a download for the 1.9 yet?

Also, PeterT, the links don't work anymore...
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
tigeraid

Alright so I found a version of the zipped 1.8 on google, and followed the directions to the letter. No change.

Literally wiping the damn thing clean, and pasting fresh files into it, and somehow not only does my database still reappear, but all the BOOKS I deleted do too! WHAT IS GOING ON!?

It's like deleting System32 and rebooting, and Windows somehow magically reconstructs it all!

EDIT: the plot thickens... the "Kobo" folder within the .kobo folder shows a Modified date of 12/31/2000, and so does the devices.salt.conf file... Maybe I have a hardware problem, the cmos clock or whatever equivalent kobo has?

Last edited by tigeraid; 09-27-2011 at 10:22 PM.