Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
Dear Sony, have you heard of Facebook and Twitter?

So, news has it that the Kindle will be sporting a new feature that will allow you to share book passages on Facebook and Twitter. Seems like this is something that can be added to the Sony Daily Edition as well...

Any one in the know think Sony will be releasing this type of feature any time soon? How about we make some noise...
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Interesting especially since I think the 900 won't even let you export entire passages out of it due to possible copyright issues.

Disclaimer: I don't know this for a fact since I don't own a 900. Just thought I saw it mentioned in the forums.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Interesting especially since I think the 900 won't even let you export entire passages out of it due to possible copyright issues.

Disclaimer: I don't know this for a fact since I don't own a 900. Just thought I saw it mentioned in the forums.
Well, if you highlight text in the 900, you can use Sony's software to export the highlighted text to an RTF document. I don't think there are copyright violations, unless you are claiming to have written the text. Sony could make it so that the author and title tags are automatically uploaded to Facebook along with the text you want to share. Just thinking outloud here...
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the correction. At first, I thought Sony only allowed you to export portions of hightlighted text, not entire passages. Since, what would stop somone from highlighting an entiring DRMed book and then exporting it into RTF and then reconverting and making it DRM free?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
tiananmen
tiananmen began at the beginning.

How about we do not turn every of our devices TWITTERed, or FACEBOOKed?

It seems every digial handset is trying to embed twitter/facebook? Is that necessary? We really need to share and share all the time? Should everything be connected to internet entirely? Also ,definitely, internet functions always drain battery out more quickly, if you prefer your readers like your smartphones to carry 2 batteries everyday and charge it everyday?

We might need some quiet and secluded applications, like reading those books.
And it might be joyful to temporarily disconnect from internet for a while.
tiananmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I think Sony ought to do it if only for the sake of jumping on the bandwagon.
But Sony has always been setting its own trends, for better or worse. I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for these features to come out ...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiananmen View Post
AMEN!!!!

I joined Facebook to keep up with some family and friends and find some old friends I haven't seen in 20+ years. But it turns out that Facebook is little more than a personal data miner and that it purposely makes it extremely difficult for users to curtail what data is being shared. Not only does Facebook share your data, but it has the nasty habit of sharing your Facebook friends' data too. I would not be surprised to see a Congressional investigation or even a criminal investigation by the US AG in the next few weeks. I chose for the moment to stop all postings to my Facebook wall and stop all sharing of info except with personal friends, but who knows if Facebook is sharing the info anyway? I'll probably cancel my account eventually.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I share your concern about Facebook. You have to tweak privacy, application, and account settings. Many default settings are alarming.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
I personally don't care about it, but I am an older guy and don't really see the need to do this. I do go to Facebook, but I have never found sections of a book I wanted to share on a web site.
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #10
tiananmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keef View Post
I personally don't care about it, but I am an older guy and don't really see the need to do this. I do go to Facebook, but I have never found sections of a book I wanted to share on a web site.
Mr. Upstairs, I cannot agree you any more, I cannot find anything in my reading to share, either. Sony, Do not be misguided by some extreme opinions, Twitter or Facebook are only a label of fasion things, but fashion things as they go, will have the outdated time. Only reading itself and the auxiliary that enhancing reading experience to make people believe they're reading a real book can help you products last longer.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
so...all the new readers and iPads and alike out or soon to be out and the latest and greatest coming for the Kindle is to share passages on Twitter?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:36 AM   #12
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I chose for the moment to stop all postings to my Facebook wall and stop all sharing of info except with personal friends, but who knows if Facebook is sharing the info anyway? I'll probably cancel my account eventually.
I'm at the same point. Have found a number of "long lost" friends on FB but after the initial reunion I've found that it's a terribly impersonal way to communicate with people. After finding myself sending invitations to join some commercial group that has embedded itself on my account, I've changed my password and tightened my security to the point it's doubtful I'll "find" any further old friends.

Besides, I deliberately selected a reader without wireless connection precisely to avoid all the distraction of the Internet when I'm reading.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:22 AM   #13
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
No need for Facebook or Twitter on ANY Sony reader.
Do you really trust any of them ?
Heard of the latest Google joke in Germany ? They collected part of private emails and other informations while scanning WLANs as part of the StreetView project. Although they told everybody since years they will never ever do so. Just take pictures capture SSIDs but no more.

If so what's the use for FB or Twitter of your PRS ? Switch on your PC or laptop or netbook or iPad or iPhone or whatever.

Now, lets read some eBooks....
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #14
tiananmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
No need for Facebook or Twitter on ANY Sony reader.
Do you really trust any of them ?
Heard of the latest Google joke in Germany ? They collected part of private emails and other informations while scanning WLANs as part of the StreetView project. Although they told everybody since years they will never ever do so. Just take pictures capture SSIDs but no more.

If so what's the use for FB or Twitter of your PRS ? Switch on your PC or laptop or netbook or iPad or iPhone or whatever.

Now, lets read some eBooks....
Yes, Twitter/ Facebook, like any other fruits of globalization and modernization in our time, shares the same property with them, addiction.

Everything just like drug to get people addicted. Internet/ Email / Car, you can not get rid of them for merely a number of days.

Sometimes I just doubt how much information one ought to share with others, if you do not share, anything will change? Any sense that we need to know each other's action always in a real-time manner?

Those produce too much waste of our languages and energy. And make us feel fearful when we are alone, and disconnect from the outer world for a while.

Blog/ Twitter/ Facebook will go to their opposite extreme, when people get really tired, they will find,

reading quietly oneself is perhaps the most enjoyable matter of life.

Let's hope Sony will not get lost, and keep their products in a right direction.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I agree that an ereader is best left as an ereader.

Quote:
Yes, Twitter/ Facebook, like any other fruits of globalization and modernization in our time, shares the same property with them, addiction.
Please do us all a favor and stop writing in different colors.

Your posts in various forums in various colors are glaringly annoying. Having your posts in another color is akin to writing in all capitals, it makes your posts harder to read.

I'm considering figuring out how the ignore feature works just to avoid being blinded by your posts.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote