Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Sigil v0.1.5

The changelog for version 0.1.5 follows:
Quote:
Sigil v0.1.5 2009.11.25
- fixed a race condition with view syncing in Book View
- fixed an issue with loading text files that don't end with a newline (some text would end up missing)
- A NEW FIND & REPLACE DIALOG (issue #13)
- no more hard line breaks in Code View (courtesy of recent performance optimisations) (issue #61)
- TOC Editor now remembers its size across invocations and program launches
- the uninstaller now removes Sigil's temporary working directories
- removed the "Start Sigil" checkbox in the last page of the installer; starting Sigil like this
was causing problems because Sigil had admin privileges (issue #163)
- fixed an issue with chapter breaks not working after they are Left/Center/Right Aligned (issue #158)
- multiple images can now be inserted with the "Insert Image" dialog by selecting multiple images
- fixed an issue with loading images from documents with uppercase tags and attributes (issue #156)
- tentatively fixed an issue with Sigil crashing on overwriting existing epubs (issue #146)
- fixed an issue with Sigil crashing on epubs with "date" OPF elements but no value set
for those elements (InDesign CS4 creates such invalid epubs) (issue #149)
- fixed an issue with words being merged on TXT import (issue #148)
- various performance improvements through code profiling and parallelization
- Linux and Mac builds should now be slightly faster because of new compiler optimizations
- fixed issue with Sigil incorrectly loading (and therefore subsequently saving) "date"
OPF elements with "event" attributes (issue 144)
Some highlights have been bolded. You know what you've been waiting for, and here it finally is: Find&Replace. Perl-like regex support is in. Even capture groups. As an added bonus, there's a "Wildcard" search engine along with the "Normal" and "Regular Expression".

The dialog seamlessly adjusts the search based on which View has focus (Book or Code View). So if you're in Split View, pay attention to that.

I've tested it, and it should work pretty well. Then again, I couldn't possibly guess all the different ways you'll be using this, so bugs are possible. If you find any, please report them on the tracker. F&R bugs are high priority.

Searching in Code View should be faster and more robust, since there's no mucking about with javascript in the background.

Work on 0.2.0 should start soon, in parallel with 0.1.6.

There's a lot more that I wanted to say, but it's 4:30 AM where I'm sitting so I can barely see the keyboard.

EDIT: And yes, this release took way too god damn long.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Yay, thanks for the hard work! At first glance only one slight problem.. the windows binary still reports the version as 1.4 and prompts that there is an update (1.5) available on first run, even though it's actually 1.5 with the new features.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
Yay, thanks for the hard work! At first glance only one slight problem.. the windows binary still reports the version as 1.4 and prompts that there is an update (1.5) available on first run, even though it's actually 1.5 with the new features.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.... I knew I forgot something...
Old 11-24-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
OK, fixed now. Old setup file has been deleted and a new one put in its place. Only 4 people downloaded the old one, and there's technically nothing wrong with it (just the version information), so I guess this ended well.

Last edited by Valloric; 11-25-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
S&R is working fine on the Mac version so far, Valloric-thanks!

edit: nice, even gives a total of the number of replacements!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:54 AM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Great work Valloric!

Just a note for others running Linux (Ubuntu 9.10 in my case), I had to delete my previous version (0.13) manually, otherwise the install would fail at the "preparing uninstall" stage.

Last edited by afv011; 11-25-2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Typo
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:43 AM   #7
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Thanks! great work as always.

One point, though. In code view, replacing an expression, in normal mode, takes a long time (a couple of minutes, 7703 replacements done). Doing the same in Notepad+, for example, is much faster.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:11 AM   #8
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Fantastic news, great work and if you think it took to long - well it was well worth the wait.

Ugrading on Xubuntu 910 was a breeze, no need to uninstall previous version (0.1.4), search and replace seems to go very quickly for me.
I did try one thing that did not work though. In book view I searched for a tag <h1> which it did not find, until I switched to code view then it correctly found all the tags. In split view you need to have the cursor in the code view pane to be able to search for tags. This operation is quite logical and not necessarily a bug but I did wonder if it would find tags when working in book view.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
In code view, replacing an expression, in normal mode, takes a long time (a couple of minutes, 7703 replacements done). Doing the same in Notepad+, for example, is much faster.
Huh. If that was in Book View, I'd say it was it was quite likely. But for Code View? Weird. Code View replacing should be really fast.

Then again, you're replacing 7703 occurrences.

But I would like to see this file, and the search string you used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
I did try one thing that did not work though. In book view I searched for a tag <h1> which it did not find, until I switched to code view then it correctly found all the tags.
That's the intended behavior. Searching in Book View only searches the visible text, it doesn't search the markup.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thank you valloric !!! wonderful news ! i'm going to download this now, i can't wait to try it out !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well, so far, s&r works great ! i'm SO happy to have it ! i've not tried any regular expressions yet but this could be the motivation i need to learn how to use those.

just one tiny suggestion : would it be possible to have a message saying that we've reached the end of the document, and asking if we should continue searching from the beginning ? just now i did a search for some tags which i could only replace *sometimes*, i did search one by one instead of doing "replace all", and i noticed that if you're not paying attention you can easily just keep going around and around forever like that...
Old 11-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
just one tiny suggestion : would it be possible to have a message saying that we've reached the end of the document, and asking if we should continue searching from the beginning ? just now i did a search for some tags which i could only replace *sometimes*, i did search one by one instead of doing "replace all", and i noticed that if you're not paying attention you can easily just keep going around and around forever like that...
I agree. When using the "All" search direction, Sigil should stop when it reaches the starting point of the search, like what Word does. So if you start in the middle, it should go all the way down, then start back from the top and search until it hits your original starting point.

It's in my design doc, but I didn't have the time to do this. I won't be able to work on Sigil for the next 10 days or so, so I felt shipping F&R without this little feature was better than delaying the release even further.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I agree. When using the "All" search direction, Sigil should stop when it reaches the starting point of the search, like what Word does. So if you start in the middle, it should go all the way down, then start back from the top and search until it hits your original starting point.

It's in my design doc, but I didn't have the time to do this. I won't be able to work on Sigil for the next 10 days or so, so I felt shipping F&R without this little feature was better than delaying the release even further.
that makes perfect sense, and i'm very happy you decided to release it now instead of waiting for that. i can wait, it's just a tiny detail. no need to open a ticket then ?

so, these 10 days, for holidays, i hope ? or too much work ?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

i'd also like to mention, i know it's nothing very important, but i am so happy there are no more hard line breaks in the code view, that used to drive me crazy if my window was a little shorter than the lines were...
Old 11-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
Valloric

Quote:
so, these 10 days, for holidays, i hope ? or too much work ?
Haha, holidays... a lovely concept. But no, work.

Quote:
i'd also like to mention, i know it's nothing very important, but i am so happy there are no more hard line breaks in the code view, that used to drive me crazy if my window was a little shorter than the lines were...
It was necessary before because typing with no hard line breaks would cause the line to reflow, and on long lines this was causing large slowdowns. New performance improvements have remedied that.

It is a lot nicer now, I agree.