Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #76
masterAndrey
masterAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Question Kindle 3 (no touch, with keyboard)

Do you know is it supposed to work with K3?
And is it possible to fix that?

Just now when I click on WebLaunch button in KUAL it just exits from KUAL.
I could check logs but do not know where to find them.
masterAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #77
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterAndrey View Post
Do you know is it supposed to work with K3?
And is it possible to fix that?

Just now when I click on WebLaunch button in KUAL it just exits from KUAL.
I could check logs but do not know where to find them.
Does it ....

Please do the following:
Go to first post, read it.
Ask yourself: "Is a K3 a touchscreen device?"

= = = = =

Can it be ...

Go to first post, read it.
Follow link to source.
Read the README.
Learn that it is a Kindle WAF.

Go to sticky: "Where do I start"
Click.
Scroll down, click: "WAF"
Review information available on "WAF"
Decide if you can make it work on a K3, note that you may have to review the information available on the K3 in the master index also.

= = = =

Translation:
I don't know, but you could find out for yourself as easily as I could.

My WAFG: No.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin...bkit_Subsystem

Edit:
I win, I posted the answer first.
WAF applications depend on system resources first introduced in the series 5.x firmware.
Meaning they can not be supported by the **Kindle** system on earlier than touchscreen devices.

I'll leave the "DIY answer" hints above in this post as an inspiration to others.

Last edited by knc1; 03-30-2017 at 10:37 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #78
lucasmpr
Enthusiast
lucasmpr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
And if your problems are web launch related, why are you not posting in that thread?
The reason I didn't posted there before, is that I didn't want to revive a really old topic. Even If I'm trying to make WebLaunch work on 8th gen versions.

Quote:
???
Have you looked on your Kindle?
(That is rhetorical, it is evident that you have not.)

Mesquite is still there, that is the windowing system window manager.
It would be sort of hard to get rid of that.

Ah, you meant the directory named mesquite.
You do not mention what firmware version you are looking at, so ....
Looking a 5.8.9.2 system image, it looks like the directory layout has been restructured.
So once you move this discussion to the proper thread ....
For the moment I'm running the 5.8.0 firmware right after Jailbreaking, installed USBNetworking, and tried some LIPC commands.

I don't see any up-to-date resources about WAFs and kindle programming using html/js. That's why I'm wondering if there's a better solution nowadays, and I'm not searching for something that is dead.

Quote:
1) Not packaged for your device.
2) Not written for your device.

Hints:
Did you notice the date tha zip file was uploaded on the download screen?
That is; before the KT2 was in existence.
Since the most recent at that time version did not support the PW-1, don't expect it to support anything more recent.

Although you will note that the sources are posted on BitBucket -
Your welcome to update them and repackage it (use KindleTool to create the package).
Quoting yourself in a post from 2016 where you talked about Komic, that looks like the most advanced WAF application around there, and that I'm assuming don't work anymore on 8-gen.

I'm trying to make an app work that was not packaged nor written for my device.

Quote:

WAFs (html5/javascript) should still be working on the Gen-8 devices.
It was the 'Active Documents' (Java) that was dropped.
Which is why you had to install the KUAL booklet rather than the KUAL document. (*)
It will be sort of hard to get rid of booklets - for instance the main (home) page of the Kindle is a booklet.

The WAF part of the Wiki should be updated.
Why don't you add in anything that you find out about the situation on the Gen-8 devices.
Sure, I was thinking about that. I'm just looking for some starting points for my research.

Quote:

(*) Please don't say that you are experimenting on a Kindle without the Rescue Pack (and optionally, Cowards Rescue Pack) installed.
Installing RP requires the device being jail broken, which is why I reminded you why you had to install the booklet version of KUAL.

You do realize that the Kindle has to be jail broken to run web launch, don't you?
I was not really worried about bricking my device, as I'm being very careful about what I tell it to do. And I thougth I could always serial unbrick it if needed. I'll proceed to install Rescue Pack
lucasmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #79
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmpr View Post
The reason I didn't posted there before, is that I didn't want to revive a really old topic. Even If I'm trying to make WebLaunch work on 8th gen versions.

For the moment I'm running the 5.8.0 firmware right after Jailbreaking, installed USBNetworking, and tried some LIPC commands.

I don't see any up-to-date resources about WAFs and kindle programming using html/js. That's why I'm wondering if there's a better solution nowadays, and I'm not searching for something that is dead.

Quoting yourself in a post from 2016 where you talked about Komic, that looks like the most advanced WAF application around there, and that I'm assuming don't work anymore on 8-gen.

I'm trying to make an app work that was not packaged nor written for my device.

Sure, I was thinking about that. I'm just looking for some starting points for my research.

I was not really worried about bricking my device, as I'm being very careful about what I tell it to do. And I thougth I could always serial unbrick it if needed. I'll proceed to install Rescue Pack
Please do install the rescue pack.
There is a good chance an app that isn't designed for your device won't work on your device.
Might I ask what the app you are trying to install is designed for.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #80
lucasmpr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Please do install the rescue pack.
There is a good chance an app that isn't designed for your device won't work on your device.
Might I ask what the app you are trying to install is designed for.
I'm doing so right now.

I just want a full-screen browser. And then prevent the screensaver from happening. Weblaunch seems exactly what I need.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #81
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm doing so right now.

I just want a full-screen browser. And then prevent the screensaver from happening. Weblaunch seems exactly what I need.
No, not if you want to inter-actively "browse" - it does not display an address bar.
If all you want is the ability to display a single page, full-screen this is it.

It is a WAF, not a re-purpose of the "Experimental Browser".

Now that we know you are working with a KT3 -
Would you share what firmware version you want this to work with?
(Yes, as you can see from the directory tree, that will make a difference also.)
Old 07-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #82
lucasmpr
Enthusiast

I dont want to browse, I want to use my kindle as a wall dashboard with information that gets updated by ajax (or websockets if its supported, I dont think so) from time to time. Maybe do a full screen refresh from time to time (In my experimental browser experience when the information changes we get artifacts sometimes).

I'm actually on 5.8.0. I don't think I need any features from anything above that. If I'm having the work of rewriting it. Its best to make this work on the newer version 5.9.2, as it will be more future-proof.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #83
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I dont want to browse, I want to use my kindle as a wall dashboard with information that gets updated by ajax (or websockets if its supported, I dont think so) from time to time. Maybe do a full screen refresh from time to time (In my experimental browser experience when the information changes we get artifacts sometimes).

I'm actually on 5.8.0. I don't think I need any features from anything above that. If I'm having the work of rewriting it. Its best to make this work on the newer version 5.9.2, as it will be more future-proof.
Good luck.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #84
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I dont want to browse,
- - - -
Its best to make this work on the newer version 5.9.2, as it will be more future-proof.
Well that is what you wrote at first, so I had to be sure that you only mis-wrote.

You must have an "in" with Amazon/Lab126 if you have a copy of 5.9.2 for your KT3.
I would like to have a copy, even if it is only a 'preview' build.

The most recent KT3 firmware now released from Amazon is 5.8.10.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202065490
Old 07-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #85
lucasmpr
Enthusiast

Oh, okay, my mistake. I made some assumptions that I shouldn't have.

I got a KT2 with 5.9.2, then I got the idea to make this project happen. Discovered they removed the ~ds command so I couldn't make the screen stay on all the time. As there's no jailbreak for the moment, I didn't see a way of making my dashboard with this.

So I recently bought a KT3. I was thrilled to see it was in 5.8.1, so I did the jailbreak as fast as I could, hoping that v. 5.9.2 wouldn't be auto-updated to my device and ruin my project. I'm sorry I don't have the preview version. I didn't knew that each device had its own update schedule. (That's why I'm searching for 5.9.2 image on amazon and I can't find it)

I think I'm going for 5.8.0 then (KT3 factory?), and I'll block OTA's so it dont get updated.

You got any advices on how to start porting it?

When I try to run WebPack I got the message "The application cannot be started" (Which I find normal as its made for an older version and not updated for the last 4 years). Do you know if there's any kind of log that may hint where's the problem?

I was thinking about comparing Kindle.js / Logging.js and all other imports from 4 years (probably factory KT) hoping to find some different classes / function names that got changed by the years.

The another way of proceeding, would be to trying to build a "sample WAF project" and add the functions one by one until I can find the one that made this break.

If you have any insights I would be grateful

Last edited by lucasmpr; 07-22-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #86
knc1
Going Viral

DO NOT run the factory-use-only firmware build after you finish jail breaking.
It was never intended to be used 'in the field' by customers.

Install one of the versions of customer firmware builds.

See: Current jail break, step #7, open spoiler.
All of those could be jailbroken again if something went wrong during your testing.
There are new firmware versions than those I list.
But there has never yet been a 5.9.<anything> for the e-ink Kindles.
5.8.9.0.2 was the previous 'current' firmware and I think your '.8' pair of keys is not working.

Those version numbers use periods as field separators, not as decimal points, it isn't a floating point number. (Amazon is the only people I can think of that uses five fields. The rest of the world gets along with only three.)
Old 07-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #87
lucasmpr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
DO NOT run the factory-use-only firmware build after you finish jail breaking.
It was never intended to be used 'in the field' by customers.

Install one of the versions of customer firmware builds.

See: Current jail break, step #7, open spoiler.
All of those could be jailbroken again if something went wrong during your testing.
There are new firmware versions than those I list.
But there has never yet been a 5.9.<anything> for the e-ink Kindles.
5.8.9.0.2 was the previous 'current' firmware and I think your '.8' pair of keys is not working.

Those version numbers use periods as field separators, not as decimal points, it isn't a floating point number. (Amazon is the only people I can think of that uses five fields. The rest of the world gets along with only three.)
Okay, I'll do it, It's really annoying, I'm messing up the digits.

I'm going for 5.8.7.0.1. Just finished installing everything again

Now some logs. Did an ;dm and I'm trying to make sense of the parts with WebLaunch.

Spoiler:

170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: I Daemon:isSiBDisabled:dync config get failed for mesquite.sib.disabled:
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: I (null)aemonarseParameters, appID=com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch, location=/mnt/us/extensions/WebLaunch/bin/:
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr_lipc:set_appmgr_run_resultropName=runresu lt,buf=com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch:entry
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: W appmgr_history:run_result_missing_status_assuming_ good:result_str=com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch:
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr_history:app_state_change:lipc_id=com.PaulFr eund.WebLaunch,state=REGISTERED:
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr_history:app_state_change:lipc_id=com.PaulFr eund.WebLaunch,state=LOAD_SENT:
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I lipc:evts:name=appStateChange, origin=com.lab126.appmgrd, fparam=com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch:Event sent
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: I def:mesquite:mainarams = -l com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch -c /mnt/us/extensions/WebLaunch/bin/
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: W lipc:sel:ret=4:Select failed
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: I certman:CertmanInit::Initializing cert library with path - /var/local/mesquite/com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: I certman:CertmanIsCacheValid::valid cache
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: I certman:CertmanLoadKeyFile::unable to load key file - File is empty
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: I certman:CertmanInitDb:Initializing the DB :
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr_lipc:set_appmgr_load_resultropName=loadre sult,buf=8:0:entry
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr_history:app_state_change:lipc_id=com.PaulFr eund.WebLaunch,state=LOADED:
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I lipc:evts:name=appStateChange, origin=com.lab126.appmgrd, fparam=com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch:Event sent
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr_history:app_state_change:lipc_id=com.PaulFr eund.WebLaunch,state=GO_SENT:
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I lipc:evts:name=appActivating, origin=com.lab126.appmgrd, fparam=0:Event sent
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: I com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch:JunoApplicationManager: pen:loading app:
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: E com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch:JunoApplicationManager::h andleLifeCycleTransitions:Failed to complete a lifecycle transition, serialID=8,propertyName=go,responseProperty=goresu lt,error=Content uri did not resolve to a valid local path.:
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: I com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch:JunoApplicationManager:ca ught exception, signalShutdown=1:
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr_lipc:set_appmgr_go_resultropName=goresult ,buf=8:1:entry
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I lipc:evts:name=appFailedInGo, origin=com.lab126.appmgrd, fparam=com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch:Event sent
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I lipc:evts:name=appActivating, origin=com.lab126.appmgrd, fparam=-1:Event sent
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr_history:app_state_change:lipc_id=com.PaulFr eund.WebLaunch,state=PAUSED:
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: E com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch:JunoApplicationManager::h andleLifeCycleTransitions:Failed to complete a lifecycle transition. Lifecycle hook returned false. propertyName=go,responseProperty=goresult:
170722:202815 cvm[6086]: I StatusBarController:Information::reverting to cached app state in statusbar
170722:202815 winmgr[5254]: I WindowManager:handleAppLaunchFail:unpause display and clear timeouts:
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: I def:mesquite:main:exiting mesquite main
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: I certman:CertmanDeinit:Clearing the globals:
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr:SIGCHLD_signal_handler::
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr_proc:remove_dead_appid=7741,lipc_id=com.P aulFreund.WebLaunch:
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr_lipc:default_alert_displayed:app_lipc_id=co m.PaulFreund.WebLaunch:show_simple_alert
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr_history:QueueUnload:reason=handleFailure:
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: E lipc:dbuserr:name=org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Servi ceUnknown:Receive Dbus error message (DBUS_MESSAGE_TYPE_ERROR): The name com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch was not provided by any .service files
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: E appmgr_lipc:lipc_set_prop_fail:lipc_status=3,app=c om.PaulFreund.WebLaunch,property=unload:send app command
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr_history:app_state_change:lipc_id=com.PaulFr eund.WebLaunch,state=UNLOAD_SENT:
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr_history:unload_app_fail:app_lipc_id=com.Pau lFreund.WebLaunch,pid=7741:
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I appmgr:SIGCHILD:exited_app=com.PaulFreund.WebLaunc h,pid=7741,exitcode=0,abnormal_exit=0:
170722:202815 appmgrd[1117]: I lipc:evts:name=processExited, origin=com.lab126.appmgrd, fparam=com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch:Event sent
170722:202815 pillow[7412]: W defillow-bb-no-buttons::
170722:202815 pillow[7412]: W def:send-json-exception:value={ "alertId" : ""failedToStartActiveContent"", "show" : "true","replySrc" : ""}:
170722:202815 pillow[7412]: W def:js-exception-object-startrefix=JS Exception:
170722:202815 pillow[7412]: W def:js-exception-valuerefix=message, value=exception = Unable to parse JSON string:
170722:202815 pillow[7412]: W def:js-exception-valuerefix=name, value=exception = SyntaxError:
170722:202815 pillow[7412]: W def:js-exception-object-endrefix=JS Exception:
170722:202815 pillow[7412]: I def:show-system-alert:id=appmgrAppFailedFatal, altId=appmgrAppFailedFatal, alertLogInfo=undefined:
170722:202815 pillow[7412]: I defillow:illow window is not a window
170722:202815 pillow[7412]: I defillow:illow window is not a window

If I'm right, it seems the app is killed here:

170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: E com.PaulFreund.WebLaunch:JunoApplicationManager::h andleLifeCycleTransitions:Failed to complete a lifecycle transition. Lifecycle hook returned false. propertyName=go,responseProperty=goresult:
170722:202815 cvm[6086]: I StatusBarController:Information::reverting to cached app state in statusbar
170722:202815 winmgr[5254]: I WindowManager:handleAppLaunchFail:unpause display and clear timeouts:
170722:202815 mesquite[7741]: I def:mesquite:main:exiting mesquite main

Ok, managed to find some interesting things.

There's two WAF's js systems. wafjs and the newer kindle.js.

Looks like the registration of the commands where outdated, now they need a file:// to start an mesquite application.

I'm creating a barebone app and I'll add the functionalities that I need

Last edited by lucasmpr; 07-22-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #88
hixair
hixair began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
I am really interested about your findings, i came to this forum as i get the same error message when i try to launch the extension.
I hope you'll be able to sort it out !
hixair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #89
lucasmpr
Enthusiast

Yeah I managed to make it work to some extent.

Enough for what I'm making.

I couldn't make the statusbar go away, and for the moment there's no way to leave the application.
(except connecting by ssh and typing the commands.

I didn't put the prevent screen saver feature either, its really a barebone for the moment.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #90
hixair
hixair began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Nice to know that you were able to look into it !
Thanks for the Update !
hixair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
launcher add-ons, mesquite, webapp