Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
Angry Bought New Nook Glowlight Yesterday!

My husband & I each had a Nook STG. Last month my husband dropped his and it was a gonner.

Yesterday we went and looked at the newest NSTG and really loved the look, feel, lighting, etc., so we bought one. I'm using the new one and transferring his files to my old one.

Although I am quite happy with the lighting, the newer fonts & sizes, I am not thrilled with the rubberized edging. As I was unplugging the charger, I noticed the edging is loose around the area where the plug goes in. Last night as I was reading I felt a slight raised area on the back, again around the edging. It too was loose to the point where I could easily pull it away from the side.

I am calling B&N today (or going back in) to see if this edging is just a rubber-band type edging that can be removed and replaced, or if the one on mine isn't sealed correctly. If its supposed to be loose, I may return it and get an older model as holding it with that loose edging bugs me.

Will let you know what I find out.
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiniree View Post
My husband & I each had a Nook STG. Last month my husband dropped his and it was a gonner.

Yesterday we went and looked at the newest NSTG and really loved the look, feel, lighting, etc., so we bought one.
I have the classic nook. I purchased it when they were first available and the battery is getting very weak. I can buy a new battery on eBay for about $20 but I'm seriously considering getting the new Glowlight. I like the idea of not having a separate light attached for night reading in bed. My concern is that there seem to an issue with the previous Glowlight model concerning the light showing through tears on the screen or something. How is the screen on your new Glowlight compared to the older model? Did you have a problem with the light? I'm also looking forward to how you make out with your issue concerning the rubberized edging.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:

Yesterday we went and looked at the newest NSTG and really loved the look, feel, lighting, etc., so we bought one. I'm using the new one and transferring his files to my old one.

Although I am quite happy with the lighting, the newer fonts & sizes, I am not thrilled with the rubberized edging. As I was unplugging the charger, I noticed the edging is loose around the area where the plug goes in. Last night as I was reading I felt a slight raised area on the back, again around the edging. It too was loose to the point where I could easily pull it away from the side.

I am calling B&N today (or going back in) to see if this edging is just a rubber-band type edging that can be removed and replaced, or if the one on mine isn't sealed correctly. If its supposed to be loose, I may return it and get an older model as holding it with that loose edging bugs me.

The rubber bumper is engineered to be removed.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
There are several IMO improvements on the new Nook. The first and most obvious, is the lighting of the screen. The screen lighting is brighter, whiter, and best of all, evenly distributed over the screen, vs the blotchy lighting on the older NSTG.

I did find last night that I do need to turn the light up to almost full power to get the same amount of "light" I got at the 1/2-way point on the older model. But since the screen, lighting and overall crispness is so much better, I don't mind. The font sizes, from the smallest to the largest, are overall larger on the new model. The words on the page are much more crisp. I like the newer fonts also.

Even though the new unit is only a mere fraction lighter, it feels MUCH lighter to me than the older model, which is a plus!

The sleep/on/off button has been moved from the back top of the unit to the side, which is good. On my older model, that button always felt kinda cheap. It moves side to side and doesn't feel very solid. The new side button is very secure feeling.

Update on Edging: After being on hold for 12 minutes and explaining issue to a level 1 rep, I was transferred to a level 2 rep who informed me that the edging is actually an "accessory" that can be removed. It is a "guard" to help protect the unit. My husband looked at it some more and gently pulled the edging away from the side to discover that the unit itself is completely sealed all around under the edging. He was also able to attach the edging all around much better. There are indents all around to slip the edging's edge into. I have 30 days to try it out and will keep it for now. If the edging keeps slipping, or gets looser, I will exchange it.

Just found a forum over at B&N. New owners who work at the stores say the edging is meant to come off as the serial number is under there.

Last edited by tiniree; 11-03-2013 at 02:03 PM.
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I think some people will like it better with the edging removed!

I'll like it better when someone figures out how to hack and re-partion it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'll like it better when someone figures out how to hack and re-partion it.
I suspect it would have been much easier if they had kept the SD card slot. I really wanted to buy one until I learned that they dropped the SD card slot. Since I've got a NST with a 16GB SD card that's about 2/3rds full, I guess my next reader will be a Kobo.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
I took my Kobo Aura and Kindle Paperwhite 2 into the B&N store. My daughter brought her Kobo Aura HD. I have the first generation Nook Glowlight and the lighting was very uneven and after reading for a while the text would get pixelated and be hard to read. I wanted to make sure the new Nook Glowlight was better in that regard. We compared them side by side.

The two Kobo Auras and the Paperwhite have an ivory cast that looks much more like paper than the Nook, which glows kind of bluish white in comparison, and to us, the text wasn't as sharp on the Nook as the other devices either. Without the SD card slot and only 500 gb of space for sideloads, I passed. I'll read my Nook books on my Nook HD or my iPad Mini.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by selina4books View Post
The two Kobo Auras and the Paperwhite have an ivory cast that looks much more like paper than the Nook, which glows kind of bluish white in comparison, and to us, the text wasn't as sharp on the Nook as the other devices either. Without the SD card slot and only 500 gb of space for sideloads, I passed. I'll read my Nook books on my Nook HD or my iPad Mini.
Saw the new Nook yesterday myself. Liked the light weight and feel in hand, but did not care for the blueish lighting. The partitioning for side loaded books probably means hubby will want a Kobo since we can't get the Sony T3 here.

He is thinking on it, because he knows what it took me in aggravation to get a working Kobo Aura HD. However white is not his preferred color. He also thought the covers BN is offering looked flimsy, though I suppose there will be aftermarket covers that are more protective.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
SaintsNook
SaintsNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SaintsNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SaintsNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SaintsNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SaintsNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SaintsNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SaintsNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SaintsNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SaintsNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SaintsNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SaintsNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I picked up the GlowLight as well. So far, I am very pleased with it.
SaintsNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
There are several IMO improvements on the new Nook. The first and most obvious, is the lighting of the screen. The screen lighting is brighter, whiter, and best of all, evenly distributed over the screen, vs the blotchy lighting on the older NSTG.
Well I ordered one today. I wish there was a B&N nearby so I could check it out first but the closest is almost 50 miles away. I was hoping some of the big box stores in this area got them in but seems like they only have the older model. I guess the good thing is that I haven't seen a back lighted e-reader yet So I can't be disappointed with comparison of other models.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2

This is me after finding out the new Nook doesn't have a space for an SD card. I've been eagerly awaiting this reader and what a huge disappointment.

Is there any e-ink reader, with built in front-light and an SD slot that isn't made by a company with the worst customer service ever (yes Kobo I'm talking about you) so that I'm not afraid to buy from them?
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #12
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post

This is me after finding out the new Nook doesn't have a space for an SD card. I've been eagerly awaiting this reader and what a huge disappointment.

Is there any e-ink reader, with built in front-light and an SD slot that isn't made by a company with the worst customer service ever (yes Kobo I'm talking about you) so that I'm not afraid to buy from them?
Well, Kobo CS is getting better (apparently) but lots of other manufacturers make font-lit readers with sd slots.
As you already have a pocketbook 360 hava a look at the Poxketbook Lux Touch.
Failing that try Icarus, Cybook, Imco, Onyx, Trekstor etc, in fact I think everyone who makes an e-ink reader (with the exception of sony) does a front lit version (and pretty much only Amazon & B&N don't put in an SD slot).
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Well, Kobo CS is getting better (apparently) but lots of other manufacturers make font-lit readers with sd slots.
As you already have a pocketbook 360 hava a look at the Poxketbook Lux Touch.
Failing that try Icarus, Cybook, Imco, Onyx, Trekstor etc, in fact I think everyone who makes an e-ink reader (with the exception of sony) does a front lit version (and pretty much only Amazon & B&N don't put in an SD slot).
Problem is if you live in the states those others are hard to get ahold of and very expensive to ship back if u get need to return it. Kobo, kindle and nook are it here in the states.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
anmanwar@aol.com
anmanwar@aol.com began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Edging

I was told they may eventually sell edging in different colors as accessories.

Quote:

anmanwar@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
anmanwar@aol.com
anmanwar@aol.com began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
New Glowlight. I picked one up last week first day it came out. I really like it, only thing I miss are the manual page turn buttons on either side. It's whiter & brighter. I only have about 56 books so far so I have no worries about not enough space. At this price if it lasts me a year or two, I'm happy.
anmanwar@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote