Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox
Good Apps for the Kobo Vox

I was thinking people should start sharing which apps they have found work great on the Vox - I'll update this post as often as i can, but keep checking the newest replies if you want all suggestions.

Aldiko (ebook organiser) - A lot of people talking this one up, still have to try it myself.

Angry Birds - A classic that actually runs fine on the Vox, not as smooth as on some other tablets but very playable without problems.

Scrabble (pre installed) - Had to mention this, its fun and a good game to play when you are two persons travelling for example.

Dropbox - works great makes it easy to access your files on the go

(Suggested by user friktion)

Dolphin browser - the other browser Kobo is set up with crashed a few times. And yes, an A++ for Aldiko. (comment from JD Gumpy - I wouldn't recommend Dolphin HD any more - it's been caught harvesting URLs.)

The Kindle app, too. Works well, even downloads your "cloud" books.

ASTRO File Manager - See friktion's post further down on page 1

by sensualpoet

TuneIn Radio Pro - free at kobo.getjar.com and it's a pretty good radio finder / player that works without a hitch.

Opera Mobile Browser - (11.5.1 is current). It shows how powerful the hardware actually is, delivering good quality video in standard web pages. BBC News, Bloomberg, Al Jazeera all look incredible with it.

Last edited by blacknirvana; 11-01-2011 at 12:46 PM.
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Dolphin browser - the other browser Kobo is set up with crashed a few times. And yes, an A++ for Aldiko.

friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
Dolphin browser - the other browser Kobo is set up with crashed a few times. And yes, an A++ for Aldiko.

Cool added them to the list. Would love to try the Dolphin browser but is having trouble getting a hold of my Vox now since my girlfriend is clenching to it like a little child - she loves this thing!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknirvana View Post
Cool added them to the list. Would love to try the Dolphin browser but is having trouble getting a hold of my Vox now since my girlfriend is clenching to it like a little child - she loves this thing!
Hehehehe There are worse problems. May I suggest you ask her what colour she wants that's not the same as yours and get her her own? But I'm sure you've thought of it.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
I wouldn't recommend Dolphin HD any more - it's been caught harvesting URLs. Might want to try Opera instead. Seems to be the consensus that it's now the best Web browser for Android.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
blacknirvana
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
I wouldn't recommend Dolphin HD any more - it's been caught harvesting URLs. Might want to try Opera instead. Seems to be the consensus that it's now the best Web browser for Android.
Uhh that doesnt sound good, ill add that as a comment

Last edited by blacknirvana; 10-29-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
ASTRO File Manager

Someone just pointed me in the direction of this page:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...pps-and-tools/

Which sent me to this site:
www.apktop.com
which let me download and install straight to the Vox ASTRO file manager! YAY! It works!
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
You can get TuneIn Radio Pro, free, at kobo.getjar.com and it's a pretty good radio finder / player that works without a hitch. If you agree to create an account, it can remember your preferred stations and streams.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
You can get TuneIn Radio Pro, free, at kobo.getjar.com and it's a pretty good radio finder / player that works without a hitch. If you agree to create an account, it can remember your preferred stations and streams.
This was actually very cool to see, not that the regular .99 price tag is that bad either. I purchased it on my Blackberry for the simple fact it could record something via my wifi connection at home, so I could play it back at work the next day without using up my cell bandwidth...very cool app.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Honestly, 33 hours later, the nest thing I have done is to install the Opera Mobile Browser (11.5.1 is current). It shows how powerful the hardware actually is, delivering good quality video in standard web pages. BBC News, Bloomberg, Al Jazeera all look incredible with it.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Opera also has a tablet mode to make use of the 1025x600 screen where Dolphin or the stock browser don't go higher than 800x600, for some reason.

I just wish I could set up a Google account to use the real Market, as Aldiko Premium was well worth the money.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #12
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Honestly, 33 hours later, the nest thing I have done is to install the Opera Mobile Browser (11.5.1 is current). It shows how powerful the hardware actually is, delivering good quality video in standard web pages. BBC News, Bloomberg, Al Jazeera all look incredible with it.
Poet - can I ask you how you manage two browsers now? Everytime I try to navigate to a new page in either browser, I get a pop up asking which browser I want. I don't see any options to set a default browser. Any ideas? Thanks!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:36 AM   #13
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Poet - can I ask you how you manage two browsers now? Everytime I try to navigate to a new page in either browser, I get a pop up asking which browser I want. I don't see any options to set a default browser. Any ideas? Thanks!

When asked to pick a browser, check the box at the bottom of the dialog box BEFORE selecting a browser. The Kobo customizations means the white background hides the 'set as default application' text beside the Checkbox.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:52 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I thought this might be useful for people installing apps: http://maketecheasier.com/install-ap...ket/2011/01/28

Quote:
2. Installing app using Dropbox

Dropbox is really a versatile app and is a waste if we don’t fully utilize it. The method is simple. In your computer, download the apk file to your Dropbox folder. Let it finish syncing. In your phone, open the Dropbox app, navigate to the folder where you keep the apk file, click on it. Dropbox will then download the apk file. The usual installation follows.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #15
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
I just wish I could set up a Google account to use the real Market, as Aldiko Premium was well worth the money.
It's not a matter of a goggle account. The "real" Market is closed source and Kobo chose not to do a license agreement for it.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote