Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How should we spell "ebook"?
ebook 56 50.00%
e-book 25 22.32%
eBook 31 27.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I am reading what someone else has typed, I do have no problem with reading ebook, pbook, eBook, or pBook. it is when it's Ebook or Pbook that is it becomes a small bother.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #17
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I agree with Dave. I'm old enough that I didn't take typing (oh, it's called keyboarding now I think) in school & have trouble with fumble fingers.
Me too. In fact, my office mates accuse me of typing with my elbows. Thus I vote for ebook.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #18
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I prefer to read ebooks on my liseuse. The other sort I call "legacy books" or pbooks.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I prefer to read ebooks on my liseuse. The other sort I call "legacy books" or pbooks.
Liseuse is a leather cover for paper books. I'd go with Lisette. Of course that would make my wife jealous...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:10 AM   #20
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
How should we spell it? Email used to be "e-mail", but it was never eMail (except perhaps for sTeve jObs).

E-book with a hyphen has some merit because then you can talk about p-books, and pbooks sounds a bit odd. What do you prefer?
It was always eMail for me...

But I'm not a native speaker / writer, though.. come to think of it.. a programmer..

So it should be eBook and pBook but I'm used to p-book and I can't distinguish the sound ..

Dirk

Last edited by DigiDirk; 03-11-2008 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Forgot my eBook preference...
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #21
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Liseuse is a leather cover for paper books.
According to Zelda it's also the preferred French term for the "electronic device for displaying ebooks", at least over in the name your device thread. I don't actually know, one of my ambitions is to never visit France.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #22
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
According to Zelda it's also the preferred French term for the "electronic device for displaying ebooks", at least over in the name your device thread. I don't actually know, one of my ambitions is to never visit France.
Actually Zelda and her relations are trying to instate the name as a standard for ebook reading devices in French. This word already exists with five different definitions, none of which resembles anything to do with electrons. I think they're going overboard with this, but that's my two bits.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #23
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Why would a person endeavour to not visit the seat of civility, culture, and really good food?

Merthinks that such a person must not like freedom or democracy.

Yvan: what are the other meanings of 'liseuse?'

Personally, I think that the device used to read digital texts should itself be called an "ebook," but I think that I stand in the minority on that account.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #24
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Personally, I think that the device used to read digital texts should itself be called an "ebook," but I think that I stand in the minority on that account.
Not according to the poll results when I took the poll today:

ebook -- 26 -- 60.47%
e-book -- 8 -- 18.60%
eBook -- 9 -- 20.93%
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #25
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Why would a person endeavour to not visit the seat of civility, culture, and really good food?

Merthinks that such a person must not like freedom or democracy.

Yvan: what are the other meanings of 'liseuse?'

One of the definitions is the one I gave and knew since I was a kid: a book protector. Then there is a small table for books, a reading lamp, a piece of clothing for reading comfort and a small knife used as a bookmarker, I guess a remnant of the days when you had to separate the pages when you bought a book. Remember those? I still have a few my grandma left when she died, I keep them virgin.

Your calling the devices 'ebooks' has some history behind. I vividly remember the first devices being called that way. I only changed my way of calling them that when joining MR.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #26
moz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Not according to the poll results when I took the poll today:
The poll is about how to spell the word, not what it means.

To most of us I think an ebook is the text. The device is a laptop, or a computer, or a liseuse.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #27
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
The device is a laptop, or a computer, or a liseuse.
Keep repeating it... that'll make it true!
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #28
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Given my druthers, the device--that is, a dedicated, or at least faithful with perhaps an occasionally wandering glance, device made for displaying primarily text and static images--would be an ebook, or an electronic book onibus-alacious compenditor.

Further, I refer to the documents that we avid simians view and turn the squiggles therein to abstract concepts as "digital texts." Besides providing clarity (if not concision), by utilising such a phrase, am removing the power that the publishing hegemony has over the reader as a subject by redefining the object in the relationship.

That is to say, I really do not care about the delivery system of the file or ideas therein, so I attempt to distance myself from referring to the electronic file as a 'book.' This is especially important when one considers that not every file is an actual novel or reference work, and could comprise merely a short story or whathaveyou.

There's quite a bit of whathaveyou flying about the interwebs these days.

@Yvan: a knife to read books? Thought that all the cellulose-devotees were big on preserving books. ;-)

Interesting to note that a word relating to reading can have so many connotations.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
@Yvan: a knife to read books? Thought that all the cellulose-devotees were big on preserving books. ;-)
Books used to come "uncut" -- that is the pages were not separate from each other at the edges. In order to read them you had to cut the pages apart.

Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:U...k_p1190369.jpg, and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book#Bookbinding
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #30
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
It's much too late now, but maybe the text itself should be called an "etext" and a dedicated device for displaying it (as opposed to a general purpose computer) should be an "ebook". What a rats' nests is English usage!
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote