Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
mnfe
Connoisseur
mnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with others

Device: none
Thinking about returning my nook...

and getting a NC! The only thing stopping me right now is the battery life. I already read enough to run through the battery on the nook really fast. How many hours of reading do you get with a rooted NC? Also, how much does it weight compared to the classic?
mnfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Srqt
Srqt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I haven't rooted my NC yet and I get a solid 8-10 hours of reading (with wifi and some web browsing) per charge. I would say as long as you are able to charge your NC overnight every night you should have no issues with battery life.
Srqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My battery experience is similar. I've been reading and listening to Pandora at the same time. I also keep Wi-fi on always. If you are reading several hrs each night then you could probably go a few days between charges. If you don't mind charging overnight, then I wouldn't be concerned. If you take lots of long-haul flights, then I might think twice. You can also read while it's plugged into the wall although the keyboard is extra sensitive for many people in this scenario.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
if you can afford to, have both, they are like peanutbutter and jelly, they compliment each other pefect.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
if you can afford to, have both, they are like peanutbutter and jelly, they compliment each other pefect.
I like your analogy! Thanks for making me smile! I agree they make a good pair. I use my eink Sony 950 for long reading sessions. Although I like the NC enough that I could use it as my only ereader if I couldn't afford or want to purchase both. The LCD screen doesn't bother my eyes with the ability to change brightness and background color (but that's a personal preference).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
If your main use is reading, I must say that I strongly prefer the e-ink screen and light weight of the original Nook. (Although the Kindle3 is my very favorite -- it's the lightest of them all.) Weight really does make a difference for long reading sessions. I mostly use the e-ink Nook in a easel-style case so I can prop it on the table and read while eating, while I use my Kindle3 naked for single hand holding.

On the Nook Color, the glassy screen smudges easily and is susceptible to glare. You can put an anti-glare screen over it, but if you are sensitive to resolution crispness (I am), the anti-glare cover degrades it somewhat.

The NC is a toy for me, I'm really not sure I'll even keep it long term. My android phone suffices for internet on the run, my laptop for more heavy duty out-and-about work, and for at-home reading, I love the Kindle3 (unless it is a library book or read-in-store book, then I switch to the Nook e-ink). Maybe if I didn't have my laptop with me so often, there might be a place for the NookColor, but it just isn't a good sit-down-and-just-read for hours device for me so it cannot replace my e-ink readers, no way, no how. If that's a primary use of yours, think hard about it.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
bigbrothad
bigbrothad began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I have a Nook. I find that I can go beyond a week between charges on a few hours of reading each night with more hours on the weekends. I keep my 3G+wifi nook in airplane mode since I don't need to go online with it.
bigbrothad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
bubbasims
bubbasims began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I hear people talking about rooting their nooks. Can someone explain to me what thus means. I feel like I am missing somethuing.

Bubba
bubbasims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasims View Post
I hear people talking about rooting their nooks. Can someone explain to me what thus means. I feel like I am missing somethuing.

Bubba
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112175
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasims View Post

Bubba
Just for the record, if you're standing in the customer service line at say ... Best Buy, and a young woman and her mother behind you are casually talking about some limitations of their Barnes and Noble device, try and refrain from entering the conversation with, "I could give you guys some tips on rooting your Nook."

Talk about an awkward silence.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #11
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Just for the record, if you're standing in the customer service line at say ... Best Buy, and a young woman and her mother behind you are casually talking about some limitations of their Barnes and Noble device, try and refrain from entering the conversation with, "I could give you guys some tips on rooting your Nook."

Talk about an awkward silence.
LOL. My mom would be like "WTF?". At least I would get you Krypto. And I am not technically adept. Mind you I have bought a few Nooks for friends and they all have no idea what rooting is. They can't even hack their phones, lol. That is ok because then they all think I am super cool because I can root their Nooks.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #12
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Yeah, I don't even get myself sometimes.

Happy New Year anyways!
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #13
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
I bought an NC this week. For 3 1/2 years I've used a SONY 505 but noticed lately the EPUB downloads are larger (embedded pics that didn't used to be in ebook downloads) and the processor choked on the pics. It came down to a Sony 950 or NC. Sony's quality and performance has been stellar for me with excellent format access (epub, lrf, pdf,...) that allowed me to download from a variety of sites. I'm a very satisfied Sony customer. But, I spent 30 minutes handling an NC and came away thrilled with the performance, feel and contrast of the NC as compared with the 950. Both have 7" screens and both will handle my existing epub library. Like others, my principal concern was the NC battery life. After an initial charge, with average use (for me) reading, and using the web access the unit got down to 40% after a couple days (I'm ok with that). I monitored power discharge overnight with the NC in sleep mode, and the loss wasn't discernible. I can read white print on black (in a dark room) or black on white with varying brightness levels. As a reader, I'm satisfied.

B&N was not forthcoming on how to download music, files, and epub texts not purchased through B&N in their instructions which left it to me to find an excellent video on YouTube. I found nothing in the instructions on using adobe ereader for data rights epub texts. But tech savy folks will figure things out. So, for me the B&N NC is a keeper. It's first and foremost a reader, which is what I wanted. I didn't buy it to be a tablet or to play apps from my android based smart phone. It's a very good reader and being someone who has owned an ereader and been enjoying mobileread for 3+ years, I'm comfortable, for me, I made the right choice.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote