Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #166
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Since I've been a contrarian for much of this thread, why stop now?

I like the margins. They are more aesthetically pleasing to my eye... more book-like (books have margins). I realize the Reader's "frame" can be viewed as a margin, but it just doesn't look like one to me.

I suspect the more "book like" appearance is why Sony did the margins.

-Pie

At least it's not me in THIS thread.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #167
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Personally though, I hate the wide margins. That is why I never buy anything from Sony. Even on printed books, I prefer margins smaller than what Sony goes with. Fit more words onto the page, so that it is fewer pages. Too big of a font, or too large of margins, just has always seemed wasteful to me.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #168
iacchi
Zealot
iacchi is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500; Boox C67ML; Boox Max
Just to let you know that I called Sony and they gave me the ref. number for the shipment - from Italy.
That is (after two successful attempts from Italy and Australia): even if you don't live in the US, if you pay shipment expenses you can have your firmware upgrade.
iacchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #169
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
I received my PRS-500 with the new firmware last week. I immediately noticed that it has less available on board memory for books (not a huge deal). This week I started reading a new book and I can only get about 100 page turns before the battery dies! Before I sent it in I got about 1400. Anyone else experiencing this?
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #170
kkapkin
kkapkin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
I just received my Updated SONY PRS-500
- There are new features such as date/time, format internal memory, seems to be faster, now I can type the page number to go to, seems to be more stable, etc.
- Problems: Battery runs out very quickly <100 pages (this is a show stopper for me), every time I plug it in the USB port getting a Windows system error because no SD or MC cards in my PRS-500

The unit comes with 90 day warranty which covers the entire unit. I will check to see if they are willing to fix the excessive battery drain issue, otherwise I will have to trade it in for one of the newer ones.
kkapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #171
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Ummm... Yes! Mom got hers back and she's noticing she's having to re-charge every single day!

Me, I've been running my new K2 for about a week (making sure that the whispernet connection is turned off) between charges - and I read about five hours per day!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #172
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I haven't upgraded my 500 yet. I'm beginning to think I won't.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #173
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I haven't upgraded my 500 yet. I'm beginning to think I won't.
A friend did the trade-in instead.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #174
iacchi
Zealot
iacchi is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500; Boox C67ML; Boox Max
I've already sent mine to Sony, let's hope this battery problem will be fixed.
iacchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #175
seveng
seveng began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Palm Pre
I haven't noticed any battery issues. I can still read about an hour at lunch three or four days in a row before I get down to half battery. Of course I'm still finishing up parts of my LRF library, I wonder if it's epub related.

I've been eyeing the nook anyway, and am thinking of some Android app ideas for an unlocked device.
seveng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #176
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To solve the short-battery-life problem in upgraded PRS-500s:

1. Go on eBay.
2. Bid on cracked-screen Kindle 2s - specifically those purchased recently which still have warranty on them.
3. Win.
4. Send, under warranty, back to Amazon.
5. Revel in *NEW* K2!

Given that I've done this TWICE in the last month - both times getting the Kindle 2 for less than $50, I'd say this makes sense. (My second replacement is on it's way - again, a free repair under the existing warranty. Mom gets it as soon as it arrives!)

Derek
Old 12-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #177
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Step 6: Sell the K2 and buy a new Sony.;

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
To solve the short-battery-life problem in upgraded PRS-500s:

1. Go on eBay.
2. Bid on cracked-screen Kindle 2s - specifically those purchased recently which still have warranty on them.
3. Win.
4. Send, under warranty, back to Amazon.
5. Revel in *NEW* K2!

Given that I've done this TWICE in the last month - both times getting the Kindle 2 for less than $50, I'd say this makes sense. (My second replacement is on it's way - again, a free repair under the existing warranty. Mom gets it as soon as it arrives!)

Derek
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #178
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #179
kennyc

Quote:
+++

Old 12-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #180
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Yeah. Right. As IF! (We're a 2 Kindle, 1 PRS500, 1 CybookGen3, 2 PDA, 1 iPod Touch, 3 computer family. And with all those hungry, hungry ebook apps to feed we don't have the money to waste buying a new Sony! )

Derek