Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #16
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I’ve finally finished the book, and it’s given me a broader perspective on WWII. I’ve always thought about the horror of the Holocaust. Also, how my parents’ generation had to go overseas to fight it, and how several relatives and family friends returned forever changed by their experiences.

This is the first time I’ve read so many firsthand accounts from people who were facing such a dire threat right on their own doorstep. It was very moving to see how they persevered with such bravery, and sacrifice. They showed such grit in the face of overwhelming circumstances. Their work ethic was incredible despite severe rationing. It’s given me a deeper appreciation, both for the men and women at Bletchley, and for regular people everywhere. They were exhausted, and must have been flooded with grief from so many loses, but they just refused to give up.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I found the additional chapters covering after the war to be particularly interesting. They couldn’t discuss the work that they did with their families and couldn’t receive public commendation awards. It was very sad to read that some family members thought that they were not doing anything “special” during the war since they weren’t overseas fighting for example. They had to live with that disappointment from their families for decades.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #18
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I found the additional chapters covering after the war to be particularly interesting. They couldn’t discuss the work that they did with their families and couldn’t receive public commendation awards. It was very sad to read that some family members thought that they were not doing anything “special” during the war since they weren’t overseas fighting for example. They had to live with that disappointment from their families for decades.
Yes, I found that very sad to read too. Most would have lost grandparents and parents by the time their work could be publicly acknowledged.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #19
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I, too, found that very sad. What they did was so important and still so unrecognised both by the public at large and even by their own families.

I'm glad that in the end they got some recognition--but it was a long time coming.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 10-26-2020 at 04:05 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote