Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
fkustaa
fkustaa began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop
Sigil Error Message: Book File Would Not Open in Sigil

I have been editing my book in Sigil for several months and until March 10 this year. Then, the 517-page book file would not open in Sigil. I get the message that says the following: “Cannot read file /Users/friedrichkustaa/Documents/Booker T Washington Book As Copy in Sigil-1.epub: file to open is a directory.

These types of error messages are not helpful because I don’t know what “file to open is a directory” means because there are no suggestions on how to solve the problem step by step to open the file as a directory as suggested in the error message.

Also, I tried other programs such as Keka to open the book file, and this software is not opening the book file, and I get additional error messages that don’t mean anything to me. For example, in Keka I get the following error message: Creation of “Booker T Washington … pub.7z” failed. Error code 2 using "p7zip. Fatal error.

When using Calibre, I am also unable to open the book file, and I get the following error message: Failed to add the file /Volumes/Booker T Washinton Book/Booker T Washington Book As Copy in Sigil-1 copy 2.epub to the book: /Volumes/Booker T Washinton Book/Booker T Washington Book As Copy in Sigil-1 copy 2.

In Calibre I also get the following details on the error message: With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/add.py", line 410, in add_formats
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1383, in add_format
File "site-packages/calibre/startup.py", line 122, in local_open
IOError: [Errno 21] Is a directory: u'/Volumes/Booker T Washinton Book/Booker T Washington Book As Copy in Sigil-1 copy 2.epub.'

Is there anyone who can help and suggest a few step-by-step procedures that I can use to open my book file in Sigil or in any other software?

F.K
fkustaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That message says you are trying to open a (copy) FOLDER

Use the OS to search for where the book really is

I would use the OS to search for: Washington,
then resolve which is the good one.
right-clock (the found file) open with: ebook-viewer (since you have Calibre)
Once you find your last good edit, save it someplace safe
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
fkustaa
fkustaa began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop
Theducks, Thank you for your response to my post and your suggestion. I am using a MacBook Pro laptop, and where and how do I do an OS search?

F. Kustaa
fkustaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Please stop using two different threads to try to get the exact same questions answered. Pick one thread in our support forum and stick with it.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkustaa View Post
Theducks, Thank you for your response to my post and your suggestion. I am using a MacBook Pro laptop, and where and how do I do an OS search?

F. Kustaa
Get a PC or Linux box

Sorry, I don't do MACs

just say "i-won't"
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2017, 12:54 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkustaa View Post
Theducks, Thank you for your response to my post and your suggestion. I am using a MacBook Pro laptop, and where and how do I do an OS search?F. Kustaa
Ahem - does your Macbook Pro have Finder? If, yes, press cmd+F. Or, use Spotlight.

BTW : if you buy a 100 shares in Google you'll get a free pass to use it

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote