Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Manage Your Content now has ‘Deliver or Remove from Device’ option

The ability to ‘remove’ a book from device will be convenient when encountering ‘simultaneous usage’ limits, or just to be able to manage the downloads more easily.

It is not clear if you get ‘credit’ when you put in the request, or if you have to wait until that device actually connects to amazon the next time.

The fly in the ointment, of course, is that Manage Your Content does not have an accurate notion of what is on a given device. I just checked the first book on my list, it says it is downloaded to a particular Kindle of mine, but it is not (it IS marked as my default delivery device).

I also see there has lately been a new Deliver To option on web interface: Your Kindle Library. I’ve been using that lately, but MYC still thinks they got sent to the default device, even though they didn’t. Sync of the Kindle has not cleared anything up so far.

I tried the ‘sunny day’ case: removing a book that is actually on my Kindle and having the Kindle connect to Amazon. It said ‘the request has been sent’, make sure your Kindle is on and connected. However, it remains on my Kindle after a number of minutes, and several explicit Sync Your Kindle actions.

So it appears it doesn’t work or takes longer to work through the system than I’d expect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52B2316B-B649-4932-85C8-D5345811E8B7.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	188489  

Last edited by tomsem; 08-02-2021 at 02:54 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
This sounds like idiocy. I'll leave it to other cynics to explain why.

Why not just let users do stuff ON the Kindle? It's more locked down and useless than early models for margin and collections. It's fine to add so called Cloud as an option, but it shouldn't replace local control. Kindles are now poor with Calibre and Sync/Collections/Series is a mess, especially if you have different models. Also the delayed action of FW update features and being unable to undo the last FW update are both abusive.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
It worked for me for a book that was on the maximum number of devices. When I displayed the drop down menu of devices the book is allegedly on (6), I clicked on the trash can icon and it was immediately removed. I tested by then requesting it be sent to a new device, and it loaded immediately.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It worked for me for a book that was on the maximum number of devices. When I displayed the drop down menu of devices the book is allegedly on (6), I clicked on the trash can icon and it was immediately removed. I tested by then requesting it be sent to a new device, and it loaded immediately.
Good to know. It did work as expected when I removed something from Kindle iPhone app.

Kindles are a little challenged with large libraries, IME, mine is approaching 2500 titles (I’ll be lucky to read 20% of them). I tried removing a different title, purchased more recently. This also failed to remove (I see there is a Pending Requests list on the web site, but it is empty). I have about 350 titles on the Kindle in question.

I tried removing from a second Kindle (also Paperwhite 4) but it has fewer titles on device (fewer than 100). This removal was successful.

So it looks like number of books on device matters, or else the Kindle has some other data issue. I did a Restart, to no effect: the titles are still there.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
This sounds like idiocy. I'll leave it to other cynics to explain why.

Why not just let users do stuff ON the Kindle? It's more locked down and useless than early models for margin and collections. It's fine to add so called Cloud as an option, but it shouldn't replace local control. Kindles are now poor with Calibre and Sync/Collections/Series is a mess, especially if you have different models. Also the delayed action of FW update features and being unable to undo the last FW update are both abusive.
Agreed with this. I don't care about any cloud features or local features only available for Amazon purchases. My Oasis is offline 99% of the time and I sideload everything. So far there are still plenty of features available for sideloaded books, but I wouldn't be surprised if the day comes when sideloading on a Kindle won't be possible at all anymore, the way things have been going recently.

Yes, I've grown very pessimistic about Amazon policies. All the recent issues with DRM removal from Kindle books and so on. It doesn't bode well.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:33 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Folks, please go start a ‘What I don’t like about Kindle platform’ thread. It is not productive or respectful to pollute every topic with this stuff.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:54 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I only get the spinning orange line. Likewise for when I try to do the download and transfer with usb option. I hope this is a temporary glitch.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:28 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, I've grown very pessimistic about Amazon policies. All the recent issues with DRM removal from Kindle books and so on. It doesn't bode well.
It would suit them that you delete books you've read, that you are really using a subscription library (like spotify or netflix) and you don't make back-ups. I see this as a subtle move to that as this actually gives no new control or feature to the ebook purchaser / Kindle user.

And the title + OP is entirely about the Amazon Web platform for the Kindle.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #9
elsussman
Connoisseur
elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kindle voyage and android kindle app
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I only get the spinning orange line. Likewise for when I try to do the download and transfer with usb option. I hope this is a temporary glitch.
I have this same problem. I have 4 kindle devices and when I down load a book from content I used to be able to do it to all. Now cannot do it to any. The only way I can do it is if I do it on my kindle and not from the amazon site. This means I have to do it for each device individually. I hope this is just a glitch and they will correct this soon
elsussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #10
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsussman View Post
I have this same problem. I have 4 kindle devices and when I down load a book from content I used to be able to do it to all. Now cannot do it to any. The only way I can do it is if I do it on my kindle and not from the amazon site. This means I have to do it for each device individually. I hope this is just a glitch and they will correct this soon
Interesting. I was just able to do this with three books. On my Content page, I find the book, then click on the "Deliver or Remove from Device" button to the right of the book title. I see a list of my Kindles with a checkbox next to each one. I'm able to choose multiple devices and then click the "Make Changes" button, and the book appears on all devices almost immediately (as long as the wifi is connected on the device)

What happens when you click on the "Deliver or Remove from Device" button on your Digital Content page?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #11
elsussman
Connoisseur
elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kindle voyage and android kindle app
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Interesting. I was just able to do this with three books. On my Content page, I find the book, then click on the "Deliver or Remove from Device" button to the right of the book title. I see a list of my Kindles with a checkbox next to each one. I'm able to choose multiple devices and then click the "Make Changes" button, and the book appears on all devices almost immediately (as long as the wifi is connected on the device)

What happens when you click on the "Deliver or Remove from Device" button on your Digital Content page?

Shari
I just went to my content page and this time instead of the spinning orange circle I got the list of my devices and was able to donwload. I guess they fixed it between the time that I wrote my comment and then when you wrote yours

Elihu
elsussman is offline   Reply With Quote