Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 03-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #16
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by brno View Post
Do you think that the Home button could have the same behaviour as in the bq firmware: the double press that puts the reader in standby mode is really useful, and the long press that puts the light on is nice too ?
This would be great but I don't know if koreader allows this and if it is reasonable or not to implement it.
Nope, key events are mapped to a single action. You can remap each button to the single thing you want following https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki/Keymapping.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:28 AM   #17
brno
brno began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brno View Post
Thanks! What I call a quick response!
Solved, thanks!
brno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:30 AM   #18
brno
brno began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
@brno Should be fixed in today's nightly.
I just installed it... Solved, thanks !
brno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:26 AM   #19
paagtui
paagtui began at the beginning.

Device: Cervantes Light, Kobo Touch
Hi,

new to this forum. I have a Cervantes Touch Light and the original reader app is (let's be polite) suboptimal. I have read the thread on installing this KOReader on my device and well, it has come to mind that maybe the idea could be to try to re-create the full installation image from scratch (kernel, HAL, libraries and KOReader).

The reader HW is nice enough not to produce additional e-waste and a cleanly produced alternative distro could be the way to go...

I would have to refresh some neurons ;-) but it wouldn't be the first time I create a Linux from scratch.

What is the status regarding information on the different Cervantes devices?

Thanks a ton, /PA
paagtui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #20
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Last time I checked that was all on https://blog.bq.com/es/bq-ereaders-developers-program but it seems to have been removed. Maybe @pazos knows more.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:51 AM   #21
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paagtui View Post
Hi,

new to this forum. I have a Cervantes Touch Light and the original reader app is (let's be polite) suboptimal. I have read the thread on installing this KOReader on my device and well, it has come to mind that maybe the idea could be to try to re-create the full installation image from scratch (kernel, HAL, libraries and KOReader).

The reader HW is nice enough not to produce additional e-waste and a cleanly produced alternative distro could be the way to go...

I would have to refresh some neurons ;-) but it wouldn't be the first time I create a Linux from scratch.

What is the status regarding information on the different Cervantes devices?

Thanks a ton, /PA
Hi, the company died. Stock firmware should still work for unDRMed books if you activated yout unit before nubico went down (which happened a few months after Bq's dead). Not sure about DRM/Adobe stuff.

Based on some reports in PMs activation of new units doesn't work anymore. Not sure what happens if you factory reset a previously activated unit, but IT SEEMS A VERY BAD IDEA TO TRY.

People that installed Developers firmware before nubico shutdown are ok. FW wise the device is pretty indestructible. I have copies to restore BQ dev fw for the Cervantes2013, Cervantes3 and Cervantes4.

I'm afraid that people still in stock FW will have a brick, but I'm not sure if there's a way to jailbreak using the serial port. If somebody wants to send me a unit I can give it a try.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:41 AM   #22
paagtui

> Hi, the company died.

I know

> Stock firmware should still work for unDRMed books if you activated yout unit before nubico went down (which happened a few months after Bq's dead). Not sure about DRM/Adobe stuff.

I have my own programs to create ebooks from the "gutenbergs" (us, au and de) which gives me a lot of reading space - mainly projekt-gutenberg.de which has a lot of books I should have read in school ;-)

This is why I say that maybe the idea is to get the Linux source, probably some drivers from bq's github and create an alternative truly open-source distro for this device and avoid e-waste.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:32 AM   #23
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
This is why I say that maybe the idea is to get the Linux source, probably some drivers from bq's github and create an alternative truly open-source distro for this device and avoid e-waste.
Developers FW is already Debian Wheezy (7). All free software except for the wifi firmware blob and a little utility to read info from the ntx header on disk. The wifi blob is mandatory if you want wifi. The other tool is trivial to rewrite or to skip it. See https://github.com/NiLuJe/FBInk/blob...id.c#L479-L496

People that have already installed developers firwmare don't need to worry about e-waste. KOReader is very well supported and is going to receive updates for a long time.

The problem is with people running stock right now. Please post here if you find a way to run 3rd party software on stock.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:39 AM   #24
paagtui

I'm running stock 7.00 and -I know- it sucks... Page breaks are random and that makes the reading comfort disappear. However, the HW isn't that ugly.

I'm not using nubico nor any other store (for that I have a Kobo). I create my ebooks myself from the *gutenberg.* (au,de,us) sites. SO yes, I'm basically re-reading things I (should have) read in school - that was +/- in the stone age :-)

I'd like to explore the possibility of creating a 100% open source firmware for this device with a nice doc, so that anyone can create it and keep it updated. As a side effect, we might strip off many things and optimise it. Turn off the WIFI for good and forget about the IP stack, etc. That should win us a couple of cycles and minutes in the battery life.

Is this really SciFi?
Old 10-31-2021, 12:04 PM   #25
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Is this really SciFi?
YES. You can make a good novel of it.

You need to defeat public key cryptography if you want to flash a firmware not signed by BQ.

Or figure out an exploit based on system vulnerabilities to get acess to the system. In that case, if all goes well, you can get RW acess to the root filesystem, so you can tweak the stuff in there. But rootfs is one of the 8+ internal partitions that make the FW.

The 1st option is trully SciFi. The 2nd option is in the realm of reality. But the 2nd option only makes possible to run your own programs on top of stock FW, not replacing the FW itself.

Please open a thread elsewhere, maybe it gets more attention than here. This thread contains instructions to install KOReader that require Developers FW installed and thus not available anymore for new lurkers.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #26
BalooRJ
BalooRJ began at the beginning.

Device: BQ Cervantes Touch Light
Glad I am not the only one using the BQ Touch Lite. However, pazos would you be able to write up instructions on how to update KOReader that has already been loaded and is working on an existing BQ device? Since I cannot get wifi working on mine running KOReader loaded with developers firmware, I would like to know how to update KOReader on the device manually. Thank you.
BalooRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:13 AM   #27
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
You can just overwrite it with a newer version.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:34 AM   #28
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalooRJ View Post
Glad I am not the only one using the BQ Touch Lite. However, pazos would you be able to write up instructions on how to update KOReader that has already been loaded and is working on an existing BQ device? Since I cannot get wifi working on mine running KOReader loaded with developers firmware, I would like to know how to update KOReader on the device manually. Thank you.
Repeat steps 3-6 from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...05&postcount=2

If your device actually boots to KOReader directly you'll need to press the home button when you see the little dots on screen during boot to enable USBNet.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:35 AM   #29
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
You can just overwrite it with a newer version.
KOReader is installed to /mnt/private. That's not exported via USB. The internal partition exported via USB (/mnt/public) is mounted noexec IIRC.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #30
BalooRJ
BalooRJ began at the beginning.

Device: BQ Cervantes Touch Light
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Repeat steps 3-6 from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...05&postcount=2

If your device actually boots to KOReader directly you'll need to press the home button when you see the little dots on screen during boot to enable USBNet.
Thanks so much pazos! My device does boot to KOReader directly, so I'll activate USBNet when booting KOReader, or simply use telnet through the developer's firmware in the BQ Reader's app to extract the KOReader zip.
BalooRJ is offline   Reply With Quote