Notices

Old 11-22-2017, 07:25 AM   #1
reinsley
Connoisseur
reinsley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Search colon mark without space

Hi,

In the Calibre editor, I am looking for a kind of conditionnal "search and replace". The first step is a search only about the colon ( : ) punctuation mark.

Some texts are not correct.
For example "word: word".
It should be "word : word".
To say it another way the colon should have a space on each side. "wordspace:spaceword"

How can I search for "anyword:" ( a word without space and colon) into the text part only ? If I can avoid the HTML tags and markers...

I saw a tricky method following Python rules but it's out of my competence field.
I'd like to do it with the main GUI's Search and Replace boxes.

TIA for your help.

Best regards
reinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinsley View Post
Hi,

In the Calibre editor, I am looking for a kind of conditionnal "search and replace". The first step is a search only about the colon ( : ) punctuation mark.

Some texts are not correct.
For example "word: word".
It should be "word : word".
To say it another way the colon should have a space on each side. "wordspace:spaceword"

How can I search for "anyword:" ( a word without space and colon) into the text part only ? If I can avoid the HTML tags and markers...

I saw a tricky method following Python rules but it's out of my competence field.
I'd like to do it with the main GUI's Search and Replace boxes.

TIA for your help.

Best regards
I think this will work in general (will find stuff outside the <body> so no Replace All reccomended

Code:
\>.+?\w\:\w
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
Moved to Editor sub-forum

@reinsley - if you separate the colon from the preceding word with a regular space, then when the text is flowed the colon could end up at the beginning of a line, which can look a bit odd. You could use a non-breaking-space to prevent that happening, but that opens up another can of worms.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-22-2017 at 02:12 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
reinsley
Connoisseur

@the ducks

Thank you for your help.

I wrote \>.+?\w\:\w into the search box. And hit the search button.
Mode normal. All the text files. Calibre 3.12 x64.

I got Error : not found
You have desactivated the total search, all the text was not search for.
Start again the search and allow the 'together' box ( in the lower part of the search windows).

I have no together box (if it's a good translation). Where can I find this option ?

Nota : I translate the warning/error message, I hope it may help.

TIA. Best regards.

@BetterRed

Sorry for the mess, Editor section was the good one.

I discover the non-breaking-space that solve this issue and save me a lot of time for the next step.

In french language it's rather simple, all the double mark is spacemarkspace such as ; ! ? :
A simple mark as dot is worddotspacenewword same for comma parenthesis etc.

The eye is attacked when it detects that there is no space before and after double punctuation.
It's about comfort.

Thank you. Best regards.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Change Normal mode to Regex mode and try it again.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
@BetterRed

Sorry for the mess, Editor section was the good one.

I discover the non-breaking-space that solve this issue and save me a lot of time for the next step.

In french language it's rather simple, all the double mark is spacemarkspace such as ; ! ? :
A simple mark as dot is worddotspacenewword same for comma parenthesis etc.

The eye is attacked when it detects that there is no space before and after double punctuation.
It's about comfort.

Thank you. Best regards.
Not as simple as English though

Had I known you were French I would have understood why you wanted a space. Suggestion - put your country in User CP (Control Panel)->Edit your Details.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:48 PM   #7
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would search for it this way, using Regex and Case Sensitive checked:

([a-z])([:]) ([a-z])

Replace with the following:

\1 \2 \3

If any of the two letters could be capitalized, then I would use this:

([a-zA-Z])([:]) ([a-zA-Z])

and replace with the same string listed above.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #8
reinsley
Connoisseur

A little recap :

1 - \>.+?\w\:\w does not work whatever the params. ( regex, caps ON...)

2 - ([a-z])([:]) ([a-z]) does not work

3 - ([a-zA-Z])([:]) ([a-zA-Z]) is the solution.
It works like a cuckoo clock.
The space avoids the HTML tags, noble text only search. It's perfect.

I did not use the auto replace, next time. I did it manually. The job was done easily.

NB : Most of the time the result is center page and yellow underlined.
Three or four times, the yellow line was out of the visible part. Just few page up were needed to find the occurence and to see the yellow line.
Could be a slight inconsistency with this advandced search.

Thank you Gents, special mention to deback.
Best regards.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
deback
Book E d i t o r

#2 worked for me, but it will only work when the letter on each side of the colon is smallcase (The Case Sensitive box must be checked for this to work properly), so I agree that #3 is the better choice. You can also use [\w] instead of [a-zA-Z] to search for any letters and numbers on each side of the colon. Including the surrounding parentheses allows you to replace and can be omitted when you will replace manually.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #10
reinsley
Connoisseur

([\w])([:]) ([\w]) is a killing search too.
To run in #2 pass after ([a-zA-Z])([:]) ([a-zA-Z])

Great.

Your last sentence is not clear for me.
Quote:
Including the surrounding parentheses allows you to replace and can be omitted when you will replace manually.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
([\w])([:]) ([\w]) is a killing search too.
To run in #2 pass after ([a-zA-Z])([:]) ([a-zA-Z])

Great.

Your last sentence is not clear for me.
You could also use the search
Code:
(>[^<>]*[^\s]):
and replace with
\1 :
This will find every instance where ":" follows a character that is not a space. This way you also match ":" that follows a parenthesis.

Vous pouvez utiliser l'expression ci-dessus. De cette manière vous pourrez trouver également les deux points qui pourraient être collés à une parenthèse fermante. L'expression veut dire chercher le caractère > puis n'importe quel nombre de caractères qui ne sont pas < ou > puis n'importe quel caractère qui n'est pas un espace (ou un retour à la ligne, espace insécable etc.) puis le caractère :
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:54 AM   #12
reinsley
Connoisseur

@Nicolas F

Thank you, works fine, in one shoot, Regex mode.

The ultimate in search-replace.

C'est exactement ce que je cherchais.

Best Regards.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #13
Pachuqismo
Enthusiast
Pachuqismo began at the beginning.

Device: SM-T820, Galaxy S7
@ Nicolas F

Hi there,

This is an old thread so I hope somebody will pick this up. In the titles I've tried to replace '*:' with '* :' but I'm doing something wrong.

To ensure that I'm not adding a duplicate book to my collection, I use Everything to search in my files for the new title I consider adding. It's pretty much instant and doesn't require Calibre but titles which may have a colon attached to the main title, in Windows has to be represented by '*_' and will not show in the search results. Consequently, in Calibre I need to replace: 'title: subtitle' with 'title : subtitle'.

In latest Calibre I'm using the Edit meta information with Search and replace selecting: Search and Destination fields as title. Other parameters are Regular expression and the Mode as Replace field.

As per your instructions, the Search for I have as \>.+?\w\:\w and the Replace with as \1 :, however it doesn't work...

Any guidance as to what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers!

Last edited by Pachuqismo; 02-11-2020 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Clarification
Pachuqismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The slash1 (\1) requires a capture in the search

(\w):

Whatever (a word, in this case) was inside the () will be used
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #15
Pachuqismo
Enthusiast
Pachuqismo began at the beginning.

Device: SM-T820, Galaxy S7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The slash1 (\1) requires a capture in the search

(\w):

Whatever (a word, in this case) was inside the () will be used
Thanks for your response. I wasn't being very clear (used the wrong expression). Better I show you what I fill out with five book examples four of which have Title:Subtitle which I would like to change to: Title : Subtitle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edit_meta_information_2020-02-12_09;17;22.png
Views:	134
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	177097  
Pachuqismo is offline   Reply With Quote