Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #61
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Absolutely! I always want to know what other people are reading!
I sometimes ask. Even though it's being nosy, curiosity gets the better of me.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I sometimes ask. Even though it's being nosy, curiosity gets the better of me.
Indeed. On a plane recently flying from Munich to Turin, I struck up a conversation with the girl sitting next to me because she was reading "L'abbazia di Northanger"!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 AM   #63
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I did once have a woman tape a piece of paper over a book. She didn't like the cover. . . .
One of my now deceased uncles loved music, but had a strong fundamentalist religious streak in his makeup. He subscribed to a record club, and loved the "Wine, Women, and Song" album they sent so much he couldn't bear to return it, but felt compelled to blot out the words "Wine, Women, and" with an angry scrawl from a ball point pen.

I think he wins.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-09-2017 at 07:36 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #64
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
One of my now deceased uncles loved music, but had a strong fundamentalist religious streak in his makeup. He subscribed to a record club, and loved the "Wine, Women, and Song" album so much he couldn't bear to return it, but felt compelled to blot out the words "Wine, Women, and" with an angry scrawl from a ball point pen.

I think he wins.
For using a ball point pen, he wins.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:30 AM   #65
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Indeed. On a plane recently flying from Munich to Turin, I struck up a conversation with the girl sitting next to me because she was reading "L'abbazia di Northanger"!
Damn, one of the few times I could have appeared intellectual by having read the original untranslated version and I missed it
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2017, 04:40 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Damn, one of the few times I could have appeared intellectual by having read the original untranslated version and I missed it
That's OK - I did it for you . Fortunately it was only a 40 minute flight, because her English wasn't great, and my Italian is limited to be able to ask for a cup of coffee, which doesn't get you terribly far in a discussion of Jane Austen . I sometimes fall back to asking for things in Latin, which gets you a few funny looks, but works surprisingly often!

Last edited by HarryT; 11-10-2017 at 04:43 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #67
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
That's OK - I did it for you . Fortunately it was only a 40 minute flight, because her English wasn't great, and my Italian is limited to be able to ask for a cup of coffee, which doesn't get you terribly far in a discussion of Jane Austen . I sometimes fall back to asking for things in Latin, which gets you a few funny looks, but works surprisingly often!
I took years of French and worked hard to have a pretty good accent in it (and was complimented on it multiple times when in Paris so it paid off), and a year of Italian at university, and later had to suddenly move to Buenos Aires alone for a little while. I had to quickly learn Spanish 'on the street' there (at least enough to get by), but people often thought my speech was the funniest thing ever, because I was a native English speaker speaking garbled Spanish (speaking to someone new, I'd usually start with a warning like, 'hola, mi gramática es terrible pero...') with Italian words thrown in whenever I knew the word in Italian but not Spanish (which was often enough, and it often worked for people to understand), and all in a semi-French accent for some reason (I wasn't really consciously aware of this, but since this was apparently the funniest part everyone there were more than willing to let me know!).

But, it worked! I got by. Now, though I've forgotten good chunks of my French, Italian and Spanish because I haven't been travelling nearly as much and haven't been keeping up my lingual studies as I might've liked, I can still halfway speak a sort of Spanglish to anyone who speaks Spanish, but now with another wrench thrown in- I speak it with a definite Argentine accent. Anyone who speaks Spanish will tell you that their accent is quite unique as I've learned since leaving Argentina, and it's apparently very hard to understand from someone who's trying one's best to communicate in Spanglish (for instance, I tend to highly emphasise certain syllables, and always say 'vos' (bos) instead of 'tu' and pronounce ll as 'zhe' -maravizhoso, amarizho- and sometimes y as sort of a quick dzhj such as in 'yo').
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #68
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I took years of French and worked hard to have a pretty good accent in it (and was complimented on it multiple times when in Paris so it paid off), and a year of Italian at university, and later had to suddenly move to Buenos Aires alone for a little while. I had to quickly learn Spanish 'on the street' there (at least enough to get by), but people often thought my speech was the funniest thing ever, because I was a native English speaker speaking garbled Spanish (speaking to someone new, I'd usually start with a warning like, 'hola, mi gramática es terrible pero...') with Italian words thrown in whenever I knew the word in Italian but not Spanish (which was often enough, and it often worked for people to understand), and all in a semi-French accent for some reason (I wasn't really consciously aware of this, but since this was apparently the funniest part everyone there were more than willing to let me know!).

But, it worked! I got by. Now, though I've forgotten good chunks of my French, Italian and Spanish because I haven't been travelling nearly as much and haven't been keeping up my lingual studies as I might've liked, I can still halfway speak a sort of Spanglish to anyone who speaks Spanish, but now with another wrench thrown in- I speak it with a definite Argentine accent. Anyone who speaks Spanish will tell you that their accent is quite unique as I've learned since leaving Argentina, and it's apparently very hard to understand from someone who's trying one's best to communicate in Spanglish (for instance, I tend to highly emphasise certain syllables, and always say 'vos' (bos) instead of 'tu' and pronounce ll as 'zhe' -maravizhoso, amarizho- and sometimes y as sort of a quick dzhj such as in 'yo').
If you learned Spanish in South America, you may or may not be understood in Texas.
I knew a lady from South America that spoke Spanish, sometimes she wasn't understood by our Spanish speaking people.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #69
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
If you learned Spanish in South America, you may or may not be understood in Texas.
I knew a lady from South America that spoke Spanish, sometimes she wasn't understood by our Spanish speaking people.
I've tried speaking it in Texas. It wasn't all that successful. Well, the times I had to I muddled through to eventual comprehension, even if only barely.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #70
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I could see something like that being viable, if the front was made from something clear but fairly rigid like plexiglass.
Though there is the issue that the Kindle, which is the most popular eReader, doesn't support using the current bookcover as the screensaver, at least without a jailbreak.
Wouldn't that also make the ereader heavier? I mean the average Kindle for example is some 8 oz already but throw in something like plexiglass and you could add on some weight.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #71
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Couldn't the same be said for speaking English in Texas? I have heard that some accents can be hard to understand if you aren't from Texas.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #72
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Not surprising. Latin is after all the basis for Italian, Spanish and French I understand.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #73
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Couldn't the same be said for speaking English in Texas? I have heard that some accents can be hard to understand if you aren't from Texas.
Which part of Texas? We have at least 5 different accents ourselves.
Now what was it you wanted? Couldn't understand you.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #74
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My high school Spanish teacher pointed out the differences of Spanish spoken in different countries. He was from Arizona and lived in Puerto Rico and Miami. The differences between Cuban (Miami) speakers and Puerto Rican speakers was amazing. Even the speed of their speech was different.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #75
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
So...in my never ending search for a good case for my Oasis, I found this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Luxury-Leat....c100005.m1851

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-2017-11-14 Luxury Leather Smart Magnetic Wake Sleep Case Cover For Amazon Kindle Pape.png
Views:	171
Size:	676.7 KB
ID:	160007  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote