Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
oplatner
oplatner began at the beginning.

Device: Asus zenpad
Any Onyx that can play music during reading ?

Hey,

My need is pretty simple but it seems that in the e-reader world I'm having a hard time finding the right device for me.

I love listing to music while reading, I currently do that with my Asus ZenPad C 7, a simple 7' Android-based tablet, while using Google play for music and Ereader Prestigio for reading. I feel like I want to make the move towards a dedicated e-reader, but can't find one that I actually do both on.

I can do with a 6''-7'' reader that I can upload mp3/flac audio files to and download a simple audio player app for msuic.

Anyone can help find a device that can do both properly?

Last edited by oplatner; 10-14-2017 at 01:56 AM.
oplatner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by oplatner View Post
I can do with a 6'-7' reader that I can upload mp3/flac audio files to and download a simple audio player app for msuic.

Anyone can help find a device that can do both properly?
I am pretty sure all Onyx devices fit.

I personally use MortPlayer for audio and VLC for video.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
oplatner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I am pretty sure all Onyx devices fit.

I personally use MortPlayer for audio and VLC for video.
Thanks. Does it does the job? Can I get decent audio while reading with the Onyx models?
Old 10-31-2017, 03:10 AM   #4
utkarshj
Enthusiast
utkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 7
The audio is "decent" and usable.
There is a slight hiss in the audio port, but not as bad as on some cheap devices.
Any music player will work on it, running in the background like any other android app.
In other respects, the bass, treble etc are NORMAL. You can use equilizers.
Streaming/radio apps can be installed.
Youtube works well in browsers. But the video is jumpy at ~.5fps in normal mode and black and white (2 colors only, no shades) in A2 mode.
utkarshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:21 AM   #5
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarshj View Post
But the video is jumpy at ~.5fps in normal mode and black and white (2 colors only, no shades) in A2 mode.
Sorry, that should be 8fps (A2 = 125ms; verified), and you should see a very good dithering faking the shades (it does on the MaxCarta). Maybe I am just being overly precise, it's just to avoid misunderstandings.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2017, 12:14 AM   #6
oplatner

Well, my ONYX BOOX C67ML Carta2 arrived and I managed to play audio and read at the same time, but the experience is pretty horrible, not because of the hiss or audio quality, but because every time I turn a page during reading there's a short pause in audio, really annoying. Guess these devices can't handle basic audio functionality.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
utkarshj
Enthusiast
utkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 7
I tried it on my carta, which has only 512mb ram. There was no delay in music while turning pages. I played an mp3 ~6mb on es player. Reader was the default neoreader and oreader. opened some android apps too. plus 3 background apps were running continuously. tried it with some big pdf files too.
Dont loose hope, perhaps a different, leaner player might work...

Sent from my C67ML_Carta using Tapatalk
utkarshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My old Sony T1 can play back music but I only tried this when it was new. I use small dedicated devices that only play music stored on device memory or SD card to earphones some also have AM/FM radio.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote