Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 06:41 PM   #16
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
That's actually a smart thing to do. Finding out if it is indeed waterproof while it is still under warranty is better than finding out that it isn't waterproof once the warranty has expired.

I may just have to take my KA1 for a swim...
I agree it's a *smart* thing to do, but I just can't quite bring myself to do it, LOL! I've seen the hard water deposits left on other stuff in my house, I don't like the thought of same in the innards of my e-reader...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:46 PM   #17
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

The KA1 also happens to work very well outdoors. I don't really notice any significant difference in portability between it and my original Aura. But I'm also not attempting to stuff either into a pocket. I almost always have a backpack or shoulder bag with me that either can fit in.
Yeah, I remember when people were lugging Kindle Keyboards everywhere, or the original Nook, and it's hard to fathom why anyone would think the KA1 is less portable than THOSE devices. Or the paper books we lugged around before that.

My KA1 goes in my shoulder bag just like every other e-reader I've owned. It certainly doesn't stay at home!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #18
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Just checked, they are available both online and in stores through Chapters and Best buy here in Canada.

HOW and EVER, Chapters is limiting online sales to a maximum of two KA1s per customer (they are not limiting quantities of other models) and Best Buy identifies them as being limited in quantity online.

Could that mean that there will again be some disruption in production and supply, whether temporary or permanent?

If you were considering getting one, it might be prudent to do it sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Question Mark; 06-15-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #19
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
What would be a comparable and available replacement if the KA1 is no longer available?

Surely Kobo is not giving up on the strong market for the KA1.

. . . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:00 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The KA1 is not discontinued. Maybe the stores got it wrong and posted discontinued when it is just them that discontinued the KA1.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-16-2017 at 07:06 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #21
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The KA1 is not discontinued. Maybe the stores got it wrong and posted discontinued when it is just them that discontinued the KA1.
However, they do seem to be in short supply at the moment. Otherwise why would Chapters be limiting online sales of the KA1 to 2 per customer when they are not doing the same for the other Kobo models?

Most stores want to sell as much product as possible to increase their profits. By limiting the number of devices which can be bought by an individual, it suggests that they know that there is going to be some supply difficulty and they want to have as many satisfied KA1 customers as possible.

It does also suggest that the KA1 has not been discontinued. Otherwise they would probably just want to sell the lot of them as quickly as possible and be done with it.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #22
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Maybe Kobo has sold nearly all KA1 readers they ordered and waiting for new production run with better quality control and without light leaking gaps and uneven rainbow screen color.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #23
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
However, they do seem to be in short supply at the moment. Otherwise why would Chapters be limiting online sales of the KA1 to 2 per customer when they are not doing the same for the other Kobo models?

Most stores want to sell as much product as possible to increase their profits. By limiting the number of devices which can be bought by an individual, it suggests that they know that there is going to be some supply difficulty and they want to have as many satisfied KA1 customers as possible.

It does also suggest that the KA1 has not been discontinued. Otherwise they would probably just want to sell the lot of them as quickly as possible and be done with it.
Stores don't typically operate that way. They limit sales per customer for limited time items which wont return to stock, or for short term high demand items.

Given the issues reported here with the comfort light specifically for the KA1, which do not seem to have affected the H2O2, I'd wager it's Chapters way of preventing multiple purchases with the idea that you would return whichever device you didn't want, since they wouldn't be able to sell it once it was opened.

I'd be curious to know if the limit is based on address, or per-purchase.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #24
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Stores don't typically operate that way. They limit sales per customer for limited time items which wont return to stock, or for short term high demand items.
I've usually only seen customer limits for items which were on sale, limited release or new to the market.

I can't imagine why a store would limit customers on an item which was being discontinued. It would seem to make more sense to unload discontinued items as quickly as possible. But perhaps there's a reason that I'm not in marketing...

Quote:
Given the issues reported here with the comfort light specifically for the KA1, which do not seem to have affected the H2O2, I'd wager it's Chapters way of preventing multiple purchases with the idea that you would return whichever device you didn't want, since they wouldn't be able to sell it once it was opened.
If that were the case, then wouldn't it make better sense to limit customers to one device? Because if they are ordering two with the intention of returning one, the company will still be out a lot of money.

Quote:
I'd be curious to know if the limit is based on address, or per-purchase.
It would also be interesting to know whether there are limits on in-store purchases of the KA1. Otherwise, what's to stop someone from buying several devices at a given store with plenty of stock?

Of course, one could still go from store to store in a city like Toronto and pay cash to get around any such limit. But that would involve a bit more legwork.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #25
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp000 View Post
but the rumors seem to be true. the aura one is disapearing from
the market, at least here in germany, but in onlineshops as well.
There's your problem. Kobo bought the technical side of the Tolino e-Reader alliance from the Telekom. A month ago or so Kobo announced they'll stop selling Kobo e-Readers in Germany. I expect the next Tolino model will be a rebranded Kobo, either the new H2O Edition 2 or the model they'll release after that.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #26
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Just checked, they are available both online and in stores through Chapters and Best buy here in Canada.

HOW and EVER, Chapters is limiting online sales to a maximum of two KA1s per customer (they are not limiting quantities of other models) and Best Buy identifies them as being limited in quantity online.

Could that mean that there will again be some disruption in production and supply, whether temporary or permanent?

If you were considering getting one, it might be prudent to do it sooner rather than later.
I believe Chapters has had that limit on the Aura One pretty much since they began selling it. I'm not sure about this, but it seems when I've checked periodically to see if they were available, they had the 2 per customer limit.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #27
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I believe Chapters has had that limit on the Aura One pretty much since they began selling it. I'm not sure about this, but it seems when I've checked periodically to see if they were available, they had the 2 per customer limit.
Thanks. I hadn't known that. I could understand them doing that when it first came out, but not sure why they would continue with that. Perhaps it has always been in short supply.

Oh well, I do hope that they continue to produce it and develop it further. It would be wonderful if they were ever to add note taking capabilities and a stylus in addition to its touch capabilities... but that is probably a little too much to ask for.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #28
mcp000
mcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
There's your problem. Kobo bought the technical side of the Tolino e-Reader alliance from the Telekom. A month ago or so Kobo announced they'll stop selling Kobo e-Readers in Germany. I expect the next Tolino model will be a rebranded Kobo, either the new H2O Edition 2 or the model they'll release after that.

thx man, now thats the info i missed and now it makes sense what i see

mcp000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #29
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Certainly, hope they are worth buying as I just now purchased one replacing my mother's ageing Sony.

For Aussies they are currently on sale from myers ebay store for Au $297.46 including shipping this price is only avaliable for the next 2.25hr as it ends midnight EST 19/6 use the code CALM to get the discount
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Kobo-...cAAOSw1WJZEyZm
(discount only applicable if using paypal as payment)

I'm off to now to investigate covers
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #30
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
This is anecdotal but on Chinese online stores like Taobao the KA1 seems to be doing well, there are a ton of sellers for it and they're not second hand units. I don't think it will be discontinued.
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote