Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #1
yadomuli
yadomuli began at the beginning.

Device: KW3
Unhappy JB PW3; Need to Permanently disable timeout? [Searched everywhere]

Hi

I'm sorry for posting this, I know this has been posted several times, but Not* for the PW3 (Kindle Paperwhite 2015 version).

I'm currently on 5.8.1 Jailbroken from this method:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

And while the KUAL Helper+ "PREVENT ScreenSaver" option works, it doesn't survive after a reboot?

So basically is their any way to make that option permandate??

Thanks, and nice work on the JB.
yadomuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Did you apply the hotfix after the update?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadomuli View Post
Hi

I'm sorry for posting this, I know this has been posted several times, but Not* for the PW3 (Kindle Paperwhite 2015 version).

I'm currently on 5.8.1 Jailbroken from this method:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

And while the KUAL Helper+ "PREVENT ScreenSaver" option works, it doesn't survive after a reboot?

So basically is their any way to make that option permandate??

Thanks, and nice work on the JB.
I don't think it ever has been.

No need for it, Kindle e-ink devices are only very rarely re-booted - they only go to sleep and get woken up.
(a much different thing, internally)

That is the same reasoning behind why my Block Big Brother (BBB) firewall rules do not survive a re-boot.
That is something that is normally never done (re-boot that is).

= = = = =

So please back up a bit -
Give us the full context behind why you find yourself frequently re-booting your Kindle.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
yadomuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Did you apply the hotfix after the update?
Yup after flashing to 5.7.4 I ran "Branch Delay's factory firmware jail break" and then I applied the hotfix, and Then upgraded to the 5.8.1. Went smoothly.

Don't know if that pertains to my question, it might of tho, for reasons unknown to me.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
yadomuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I don't think it ever has been.

No need for it, Kindle e-ink devices are only very rarely re-booted - they only go to sleep and get woken up.
(a much different thing, internally)

That is the same reasoning behind why my Block Big Brother (BBB) firewall rules do not survive a re-boot.
That is something that is normally never done (re-boot that is).

= = = = =

So please back up a bit -
Give us the full context behind why you find yourself frequently re-booting your Kindle.

, wow, never considerd that. [Solved]
Advert
Old 07-17-2016, 04:21 AM   #6
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
If we really wanted to not have to re-run some things after a reboot, we could use cron, to start the process on startup?
Or is it not as simple as that?
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:24 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
If we really wanted to not have to re-run some things after a reboot, we could use cron, to start the process on startup?
Or is it not as simple as that?
Not that simple.
Plus -
The author may have had other reasons or additional reasons to what I had mentioned above.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Some things need to be run at a certain time, e.g. after the GUI framework is fully initialized. It might be better to autostart those things via upstart, if I could only figure out the right precedence.

See e.g. the recent thread on initializing Aeris' KindleMenu on the Oasis, which doesn't have Kindlet support (thus no KUAL).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:46 AM   #9
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I don't know if this will achieve what the OP needs, but you can disable screensavers by feeding them an invalid image file. Simply install the Screensaver hack, then replace the included default picture with an empty .png file.

The Kindle will still go to sleep and turn off the light, but the screen will stay on whatever you were you looking at.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:16 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@rashkae: There's a dedicated setting in the hack to do that the "right" way .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.8.1, helper+, kual, pw3, screensavor