Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Has your Sony PRS600 Frozen?
No, never. 23 65.71%
Yes, once. 5 14.29%
Yes, more than once. 5 14.29%
It is driving me crazy. 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Freezing/Lock-up

Okay, got my PRS600 a week ago and have had several freezes on it since then in all sorts of circumstances - just reading, opening a book, taking notes/erasing etc. Reset is not always as easy as poking the reset button but so far I have successfully managed to get it working again without any major issues. However, it is annoying to say the least and if this is an issue as to my device in particular then I may consider sending it back for a replacement - however, if this is a PRS600 problem then I'm not sure I'm willing to give it up for the inconvenience...

So thoughts?

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
Have you flashed the most recent firmware? Mine's running pretty steady for a week now.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
So thoughts?

Mel
Any hints at all?

What format of ebooks are you reading? pdf lrf lrx epub ... variety...

Do you use the eBook Library to load your books or Calibre?

How many books are on your reader?

Are the books large or small that you are opening or reading when the freeze occurs?

Are you using either/both of the card slots?

Just to give us something to work with. It does seem like you have an inordinate amount of freezes. I have a PRS-700 and it has frozen once in 10 months.

Wetdogeared.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Haven't put any new firmware on since I got it last Tuesday - it updated automatically then, however, so I think I have the most recent 1.0.01.08040?

Mel
Old 09-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
MelC
Evangelist

Hints -

Formats - a mix of epub calibre formatted books, rtf and pdf documents - has frozen at some point on all of them.

Loading - eBook Library for pdf and rtf (work docs) and Calibre for fiction

Number of books - 75

Size of books - variety, one large pdf two normal size novels and several small rtf documents

Card slots - I'm using the memorystick card holder but most of the freezes have been on books in the device memory I think.

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Any hints at all?

What format of ebooks are you reading? pdf lrf lrx epub ... variety...

Do you use the eBook Library to load your books or Calibre?

How many books are on your reader?

Are the books large or small that you are opening or reading when the freeze occurs?

Are you using either/both of the card slots?

Just to give us something to work with. It does seem like you have an inordinate amount of freezes. I have a PRS-700 and it has frozen once in 10 months.

Wetdogeared.
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 04:12 AM   #6
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Mines been fine so far........I have 921 books split between internal memory and a 2GB MS Pro Duo, I have the new firmware and only use LRF files on my readers (as I have found them faster, I hate ePubs yuk, bad justification and slow too)
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I find I have fewer freezes on the 505 when I don't have a memory stick or memory card in the device. FWIW.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Hints -

Formats - a mix of epub calibre formatted books, rtf and pdf documents - has frozen at some point on all of them.

Loading - eBook Library for pdf and rtf (work docs) and Calibre for fiction

Number of books - 75

S

Mel
Its my understanding you shouldn;t use both calibre & the ebook library software for loading books. Pick one or the other. It will freeze if you use both.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
Its my understanding you shouldn;t use both calibre & the ebook library software for loading books. Pick one or the other. It will freeze if you use both.
I've read this here, too.
But it's not true.
Truth is, eBook library 3.0 is a mystery of its own. For me, it permanently was crashing when copying to internal memory of my readers.
It was/is crashing for about 1/3 of the users, lots of them went back to eBook library 2.5.
It very well may be, that one lucky guy was able to stop those crashes by only using eBook library, without calibre. But this certainly has been a (lucky) coincidence. Both in parallel are working without any problems.
BTW: For me, it was DEP (Data Execution Prevention) under Vista. I've tried to identify the reasons for eBook library 3.0 crashing that often in 4 threads.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
MelC
Evangelist

Thanks for this everyone. I'm going to try taking out the memory stick and see whether that improves the situation. I don't think I am going to give up calibre any time soon and I can't give up the ebook library until calibre is extracting the note files. As soon as that happens though....

Mel
Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #11
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
This from Calibre FAQ:

I used calibre to transfer some books to my reader, and now the SONY software hangs every time I connect the reader?¶

You should not use both calibre and Connect to transfer books to the reader. You can fix this problem by:

* Removing any storage cards from your reader.
* Deleting the file media.xml from the reader’s main memory using windows explorer (search for the file to find all locations where it is present). Note that by doing this you will lose all your collections, bookmarks, history etc.
* Unplugging the reader and waiting till the list of books shows up again
* Re-connecting the reader and starting the SONY software
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #12
delney
delney began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Ok.. mine froze this morning. Reset button doesn't seem to be working. Connected via USB and it's not recognized. It's like a brick - stuck on a page in a book I was reading, and none of the buttons do anything. Any hints on how to get it to reset? I tried doing reset and power at the same time, and tried holding reset for like 30 seconds, but nada. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance..
delney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
I've managed to freeze my reader by deliberately using a "fake" unreadable Sony memory stick and then trying to format it from within the reader
Reset and few power cycles cured it without any problems. So I guess bad memory cards can definitely lock it up.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #14
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by delney View Post
Ok.. mine froze this morning. Reset button doesn't seem to be working. Connected via USB and it's not recognized. It's like a brick - stuck on a page in a book I was reading, and none of the buttons do anything. Any hints on how to get it to reset? I tried doing reset and power at the same time, and tried holding reset for like 30 seconds, but nada. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance..
Hmm actually ignore my previous reply it's not responding to a reset or USB. That sounds like time to call cony.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #15
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
have you tried this, from another thread, may work?

while reading a PDF, an attempt to resize the font locked up her reader - even power off and reset buttons had no effect.

The gentleman at Sony Support offered this solution, which seemed to work:

press in and hold the reset button. while the reset is being pressed, cycle the power switch 5 times.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote