Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #376
Alkhabiru
Alkhabiru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@NiJuLe Ok, well, let's forget Linux since I don't always have access to it anyway. On OS X do I only have to change manually the IPv4 address of my Kindle (Appearing as an RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget) to 192.168.15.244 then ssh to it? I'll have to admit that I'm not familiar at all with usbnetworking although I've already used SSH in the past. Also if it requires more knowledge on the thing feel free to redirect me to some relevant ressource; I did my research, but haven't found anything that helped me yet.

Last edited by Alkhabiru; 07-31-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Alkhabiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #377
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkhabiru View Post
Also if it requires more knowledge on the thing feel free to redirect me to some relevant ressource; I did my research, but haven't found anything that helped me yet.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
If you set the topic filter to "HowTo" and display that list of posts, you should stumble into a lot of information, like:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201572
Just click open the spoiler.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #378
Alkhabiru
Alkhabiru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@knc1 That's perfect thank you very much.
Alkhabiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #379
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
thanks for this, i really like the update with the option allowing usbms so you can access the device's books using usb, yet still letting ssh happen over wifi
although at first i thought updating to the latest version, or, updating to 5.3.6 on my paprewhite made something stop working, because whenever i toggled usbnetwork in the kual menu installed by the hack, the message displayed would freeze at 'N tweaking iptables config' and when I go to usbnetwork status, it tells me 'N ** usbnetwork is disabled (usbms)' yet i can ssh over wifi to my kindle. (and in my setup via the usb cable it is not allowed)
if i toggle it again, it still gets stuck at the same tweaking iptables config part, and if i show the status this time, it shows the same thing, that it is disabled (usbms) but toggling it on and off does work, because now i cannot ssh to the kindle.

is there anything wrong with my setup, or is there a problem with the usbnet hack, and i have my configuration means that it cannot tell me whether usbnet is up or down?

sorry if it sounds confusing, i'll be happy to reword it if it is needed, thanks a lot
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #380
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
thanks for this, i really like the update with the option allowing usbms so you can access the device's books using usb, yet still letting ssh happen over wifi
although at first i thought updating to the latest version, or, updating to 5.3.6 on my paprewhite made something stop working, because whenever i toggled usbnetwork in the kual menu installed by the hack, the message displayed would freeze at 'N tweaking iptables config' and when I go to usbnetwork status, it tells me 'N ** usbnetwork is disabled (usbms)' yet i can ssh over wifi to my kindle. (and in my setup via the usb cable it is not allowed)
if i toggle it again, it still gets stuck at the same tweaking iptables config part, and if i show the status this time, it shows the same thing, that it is disabled (usbms) but toggling it on and off does work, because now i cannot ssh to the kindle.

is there anything wrong with my setup, or is there a problem with the usbnet hack, and i have my configuration means that it cannot tell me whether usbnet is up or down?

sorry if it sounds confusing, i'll be happy to reword it if it is needed, thanks a lot
Do you also have the KUAL Firewall/BBB filter installed?

I haven't (yet) done an integration package for the KUAL Firewall and the KUAL USBnetworking applications.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #381
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@zxczxc: Oh, right, good catch.

The status is indeed wrong when you're in usbms only mode, I'll fix that!
The other thing with the stuck status message doesn't ring a bell, but knc1 seems to know what's going on, and I'll take a look at it, thanks!

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-08-2013 at 12:53 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #382
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, the status button will be fixed in the next version, thanks!

As for the rest, that's just a byproduct of being in verbose mode: the iptables print is the last thing the hack does/prints, and the KUAL button doesn't overwrite that (by design, because it would annihilate the interest of being in verbose mode) .
Old 08-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #383
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@zxczxc: Oh, right, good catch.

The status is indeed wrong when you're in usbms only mode, I'll fix that!
The other thing with the stuck status message doesn't ring a bell, but knc1 seems to know what's going on, and I'll take a look at it, thanks!
Ah, my crystal ball just shows me the corner we are coding ourselves into:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219620
both post #1 and #2
Old 08-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #384
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: I just call iptables, which AFAIK adds a rule to the current active set. What happens with duplicate or contradicting rules?
Old 08-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #385
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: I just call iptables, which AFAIK adds a rule to the current active set. What happens with duplicate or contradicting rules?
Will be looking into just those sort of questions in the coming days.

With my firewall, you **Always** "add @ rule #1" to wlan-in chain and "del with exact matching rule" commands.

**Always** no matter how many services you are opening.
The "del with exact matching rule" will always find the correct rule, no matter how far it has gotten pushed down into the chain.

Ah, no comment on lab126's firewall structure.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #386
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Iptables processes rules in order, and stops processing as soon as it hits a "terminal" jump target. Terminal jump targets include ACCEPT, DROP, REJECT, etc...

So 1st one wins AFAIK
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #387
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Iptables processes rules in order, and stops processing as soon as it hits a "terminal" jump target. Terminal jump targets include ACCEPT, DROP, REJECT, etc...

So 1st one wins AFAIK
Correct.

In fact, in the very early days, a rule was added every time you started USBnetworking.

PS: Lab126 did not ship the "REJECT" target module - which is what started me building modules o so long ago.
Gotta get back on that project RSN !

NiLuJe and I where just chatting about dealing with more than one Kindle plugged in to the same workstation at the same time - -
And automating their network device names (per individual Kindle).

Something few users need, but us testing folks, with a zillion Kindles on our lan at the same time, sure need.

We should have a recommendation on that problem, RSN !

Last edited by knc1; 08-08-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #388
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
That would rule.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #389
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
That would rule.
Yeah, I am just getting into the repair and testing of multiple Kindles at the same time.

And darn it, all of these Paperwhites look the same!
So which one is USB0? Duh....

The basics of the idea is to:
Put a human reminder (sticky) note on each Kindle (HI! I AM KEN1)
Do some scripting magic in the Kindle's USBnetworking set-up
Do some scripting magic in the Workstation's udev rules

Bingo - that specific Kindle will always be ken1 -
regardless of where/when/in what order the Kindles are brought up with USB networking.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #390
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
The g_ether module would have to be initialized with a unique MAC configuration (dev_addr & host_addr parameters) in order to do that. I would be grateful if that could be introduced, potentially via usb network configuration. It would integrate well with NetworkManager on Linux as well (as for now it always sees a new device after each usb networking restart).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch