Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #586
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I'm on the road, and find the Clara sleep cover very convenient for reading while lunching in rest stops.
I don't have the Clara, but last week I found on Amazon one of the original Glo HD flip covers (didn't even know Kobo made these) for just a few euros. I'd never had a flip style cover for an ereader before, but I'm surprised at how convenient it is. The one I got doesn't have a stand, but the cover part is sturdy enough that it stays upright anyway, and it's so convenient when I'm eating or doing something else with my hands.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #587
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrzok View Post
I too thought that the front was glued on. It was merely taped. I'm very happy with the fix. Now if we could only find the firmware download so we can patch the Clara...
I just posted a link in the 4.8.11090 patch thread. I'm not sure what the problem with this is as I found it in exactly the same way I would find the download for any of the other devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2018, 02:38 AM   #588
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I don't have the Clara, but last week I found on Amazon one of the original Glo HD flip covers (didn't even know Kobo made these) for just a few euros. I'd never had a flip style cover for an ereader before, but I'm surprised at how convenient it is. The one I got doesn't have a stand, but the cover part is sturdy enough that it stays upright anyway, and it's so convenient when I'm eating or doing something else with my hands.
I bought this too for my Glo HD. It's become quite a rarity since. sadly it doesn't nicely fit the Clara HD, so I bought the sleepcover for that one instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
will Kobo be rectifying the light bleed defect by adding the tape to the sides on all future made Clara HD's?

the reason i ask this is because although the fix looks and should be relatively easy to do it still obviously voids the warranty. which i'm pretty sure will be enough for some people not to buy it.

best wishes koboy
I can't tell you if they will or won't, i don't work for Rakuten/Kobo :P
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #589
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post
I bought this too for my Glo HD. It's become quite a rarity since. sadly it doesn't nicely fit the Clara HD, so I bought the sleepcover for that one instead.

I can't tell you if they will or won't, i don't work for Rakuten/Kobo :P
let's hope they do.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #590
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Clara shipped!

Just got my shipping notification for my Clara! I'm really excited. It'll replace my original Kobo Aura, which has a broken on switch.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #591
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
https://us.kobobooks.com/collections.../kobo-clara-hd

its 6" 300ppi $129 8 gig storage holds 6000 ebooks
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #592
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post
why do you have the light on during the day? this has no advantage and will only drain the battery more.
I was never going to buy a Paperwhite, but once I used it during the day I was sold; having the light on during the day evens out any shadows or light obstructions that may fall on the device when I'm reading.

Using the front light, even during the day, makes my reading experience better.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #593
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Just picked one up from BestBuy in Whitby. The light bleeds are present on multiple spots however they go away if I put a little pressure on the bezel. So I am going to put some gentle weights on the bezels overnight and see if the adhesive under it seals better.

I also dropped in a class 10 32 gig SD card just for kicks. Does anyone know if these devices benefit from the faster "Ultra" speed class 10 cards?
Do a search for discussions on small block read/write speeds. For myself, when I was experimenting on my Aura HD, I found that a Sandisk Class 10 uSD card showed a minor but noticeable speed increase when opening a large ebook while a Patriot Class 10 uSD card showed a very noticeable slowdown. After some research and testing both cards in my laptop's SD card slot using Crystal DiskMark, I found the large block read/write speeds for both cards was comparable but the Sandisk had good small block read/write speeds while the Patriot's small block speeds sucked big time. Linux and related OS tend to do a lot of small block read/writes so that a good result in the small block tests is pretty much needed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #594
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Do a search for discussions on small block read/write speeds. For myself, when I was experimenting on my Aura HD, I found that a Sandisk Class 10 uSD card showed a minor but noticeable speed increase when opening a large ebook while a Patriot Class 10 uSD card showed a very noticeable slowdown. After some research and testing both cards in my laptop's SD card slot using Crystal DiskMark, I found the large block read/write speeds for both cards was comparable but the Sandisk had good small block read/write speeds while the Patriot's small block speeds sucked big time. Linux and related OS tend to do a lot of small block read/writes so that a good result in the small block tests is pretty much needed.
This, pretty much. Stick to SanDisk and Samsung for microSD. Doesn't really matter what class. I actually have Samsung Class 6 cards that beat other Class 10 (even SanDisk) in terms of small block read/write.

And beware of ebay or Amazon Marketplace fakes.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #595
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
Just got my shipping notification for my Clara! I'm really excited. It'll replace my original Kobo Aura, which has a broken on switch.
Congratulations! And, did you receive it? What are your Clara-related thoughts?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:06 AM   #596
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Here I put it on my Flickr account to avoid the file size limitations of this forum.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskzKemwe

I put them in my light box (I use it for taking photos of my origami models) which has a light on either side. I also put them on my bed with the window shining straight in (top of the photo). That is also where I showed what the frontlights look like.
Please post a FULL link. There is no need for a shortcut URL here. Full links do work no problem and size is not an issue. I don't click on such links. But to make things easier, you can just attach your photos and then size won't be an issue now will they expire or be invalid.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-28-2018 at 05:09 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:07 AM   #597
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
It is posted (follow the original link). Here is a smaller version (which fits the guidelines because it does no exceed 600 pixels in either dimension):

Max Comfort Light by David Whitbeck, on Flickr

As you see the Aura One is almost red. The H2O is orange. And the Clara HD is the whitest, very warm of neutral but not orange. You can also the light bleed on the Clara HD.
Your photo is not displaying correctly.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:14 AM   #598
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
This amazingly brave lady has a fix for the uneven light on Clara HD

https://youtu.be/sxqVLnosNTI
Please post an actually full URL. Please don't post shortcut URLs. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:12 AM   #599
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is the full URL.

By the way right clicking on youtube video and selecting "Copy Video URL" shortens it automatically. It was not my doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqV...ature=youtu.be
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:10 AM   #600
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
youtu.be is not a shortened URL. The domain belongs to Google and it's an official way to link to YouTube videos.

Moderator Notice
If a member believes a post is in violation of the posting guidelines, the moderators would prefer the member to report the post, rather than commenting on it. Thank you.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote